Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Nigel Wood- London must improve

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
341 replies to this topic

#61 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,959 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:30 PM

Except Skolars are quite heavily reliant on players who have been on Broncos' books but have not been quite good enough to play super league. At least 11 that I know of (and I supect there may be more) of the 25 in the first team squad have been on Broncos books and that is without counting the dual reg. If Broncos go there is likely to be a substantial knock on effect on Skolars' competitiveness in due course.

Plus, if anyone thinks the Stoop is hard to get to and not a great place when you get there then they've clearly not had the pleasure of the New River.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#62 Jeff Stein

Jeff Stein
  • Coach
  • 192 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

Plus, if anyone thinks the Stoop is hard to get to and not a great place when you get there then they've clearly not had the pleasure of the New River.

Slightly off topic, but the worst drivers in Britain must all live within a couple of miles of the ground. Driving home, I was cut up not once, not twice, but three times by cars with baby on board signs. I dread to think how bad their driving would have been if they did not have offspring to protect

#63 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

And neither have you obviously. Its an 8-10 minute walk from Wood Green tube station - a zone 3 Piccadilly line station. The Piccadilly line being one of Londons main arterial tube lines, which runs every 2mins

#64 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,997 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

Slightly off topic, but the worst drivers in Britain must all live within a couple of miles of the ground. Driving home, I was cut up not once, not twice, but three times by cars with baby on board signs. I dread to think how bad their driving would have been if they did not have offspring to protect

perhaps the baby was driving
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#65 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 369 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

Any decent footballers in London will either plump for soccer or for Union and be snapped up . I know that if I were a promising athlete faced with the choice of playing RL in London or Union or soccer at pro level which I'd choose. Ryan Giggs was a Lancashire Schools RL player, his father played pro RL for Swinton, yet he's spent his entire sporting career playing soccer for Man U. I wonder why that is?

So you're saying that the lIkes of LMS, Chubb, Sarginson, Dixon, Worrincy etc aren't decent footballers? You could question the coaching and exposure they receive which may (hopefully not) limit their potential but these guys are top class athletes and skilled footballers. There aren't any Ryan Giggs around now who play both codes at even top schoolboy level, the poor darlings could get hurt, you know. But there are a lot of London kids now growing up who are league players first and foremost, and they aren't guys who haven't make it in other sports.

#66 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,959 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:17 PM

And neither have you obviously. Its an 8-10 minute walk from Wood Green tube station - a zone 3 Piccadilly line station. The Piccadilly line being one of Londons main arterial tube lines, which runs every 2mins

Just to be clear, I lived there for four years.

Wood Green to New River is about a mile (http://walkit.com/wa...ta=old&direct=0).

The Stoop is slighty closer to Twickenham station (http://walkit.com/wa...ta=old&direct=0).
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#67 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

Just to be clear, I lived there for four years.

Wood Green to New River is about a mile (http://walkit.com/wa...ta=old&direct=0).

The Stoop is slighty closer to Twickenham station (http://walkit.com/wa...ta=old&direct=0).

I lived in Wood Green for a few years shortly before Skolars went pro.

The crucial difference between the Stoop and Nee River is that the New River is 10 min walk to a zone 3 tube station, whilst The Stoop is a ten min walk but only to a zone 6 train station

#68 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,018 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

I Your a one trick pony Trojan. You only care about your club not the game.......

I haven't mentioned Featherstone once on this thread. As for the above statement I regard it as an insult. Not only have I watched the game at amateur, professional, county and international level, I have also played the game at amateur level. I've been going to games since Boxing Day 1960.
When Fulham first started there was no bigger enthusiast than I was. When other soccer clubs jumped on the Fulham bandwagon, Cardiff, Carlisle, Mansfield, Maidstone, Rucnorn, Wigan Athletic, Scarborough, Gateshead, Sheffield I thought the more the merrier, But they all proved that there was no real enthusiasm for the game. London have lasted longest (can't really count the current Sheffield after the Huddersfield business) for the simple reason that people in RL have swallowed the argument that we need a SL club in the capital, which IMO is a spurious argument. A successful club yes, but a club like Fulham/Crusaders/Harlequins/Broncos IMO does more harm to the game than good.
The South Wales thing was ill thought-out and rushed. They played inelligible players, which the RFL turned a blind eye to, they were assisted in winning games they should have lost so that they could effectively be fast tracked into SL. This would have been fine if once the team were in SL they'd have had a bit of success on the park and a few decent crowds, they had neither and their backer threw in the towel after only one season. Catalans is a success but then Catalans are actually playing in a RL heartland and good luck to them.
I think Hemel should be allowed their shot a the semi- pro league because they've built a local following and I hope they are a success. Who knows if p&R returns they could be playing in SL in the not too distant future. I have no prejudices about expansion, I am a Fev supporter but I'm appalled and disappointed by what appears to be happening at Cas, they have been a great team, have produced some great players and have been a credit to the game. It's the Cas thing, along with Bradford, Salford, Wakey, Hull KR and who knows how many more that makes me think the best thing RL can do is pull up the drawbridge and try and strengthen from within. Either that or as I said in an earlier post call it a draw and try to do a hybrid game deal with the RFU, god knows after this weekend's 6N shambles they could do with some new rules.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#69 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,935 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:10 PM

Losing London at top level whilst being a victory for the small minded parochialists, it would be a defeat for Rugby League.

Very well put in a tremendous nutshell.

Once London have gone, Catalans next :D

#70 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,701 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:25 PM

Wales haven't 'gone' anywhere. They are arguably stronger than they ever were. I don't think having proper Welsh players playing RL as their first choice sport is a bad thing.
The critics can jerk themselves stupid over Londons' demise but the fact is the genie is out of the bottle and it won't be going back in.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#71 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,145 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:33 PM

Wales haven't 'gone' anywhere. They are arguably stronger than they ever were. I don't think having proper Welsh players playing RL as their first choice sport is a bad thing.
The critics can jerk themselves stupid over Londons' demise but the fact is the genie is out of the bottle and it won't be going back in.

Wales are not stronger than they ever were, things have gone downhill there in terms of grassroots participation. The Welsh league is a mess at the moment. I'm sure it will come good in time but things have gone backwards.

Likewise I can't imagine a situation like Gareth Thomas switching codes in the near or even medium term.

#72 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,701 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:48 PM

Wales are not stronger than they ever were, things have gone downhill there in terms of grassroots participation. The Welsh league is a mess at the moment. I'm sure it will come good in time but things have gone backwards.

Likewise I can't imagine a situation like Gareth Thomas switching codes in the near or even medium term.

I didn't say it was perfect though did I? How did the Welsh league go on in the 80's and 90's? We have Welshmen playing RL professionally *through choice*, not as a second choice either today...when has that ever happened? Of course it isn't perfect....what is?

GT switched codes 4 years ago....hardly an age. Who knows what may happen with a genuinely Welsh RL team?

#73 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:37 AM

All the above may be true about Bradford, Salford, Cas etc, but the difference is that people are turning out to watch those teams play in reasonable nuimbers

We'll agree to disagree on that one if you think a couple of thousand people is reasonable.

rldfsignature.jpg

#74 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,935 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:13 AM

People here seem to forget that if the Broncos go, there's still the Skolars.

What people who are loving the possible contraction (again) of the pro game are doing on here is saying stuff like this, so I am surprised you repeat it?

It's like saying if salford had gone under "Oh don't worry there's still Swinton".

Crusaders went under in South Wales but we "always have the scorpions" who are third tier on low crowds conceding 50 points a game and going nowhere.

Gateshead are still there, watched by three men and a dog struggling to keep the RL flag going when once they attracted 4,000 fans and came sixth in Superleague.

If Leeds dissapeared somehow are we OK because Bramley still play north of the river?

It's not about flags on a map it's about the strength of the game and the loss of London Broncos will see the game decline in London but "that's OK we still have........"

I have Solly on ignore but I note in a quote (I'm a poet and don't know it) he says RL in south Wales is going downhill.

You can't take a professional club out of a RL set up and expect it to stay still let alone still go forward.

Nor can you retreat to the north and expect SKY to say "fantastic here's a bigger contract".

I don't know what people are thinking here maybe "If London go maybe my club will get in Superleague".

#75 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,935 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:26 AM

I haven't mentioned Featherstone once on this thread. As for the above statement I regard it as an insult.

Best thing RL can do is pull up the drawbridge and try and strengthen from within.

Tro, I am really really sorry that.........You once said my posts made you physically sick :lol:

So stop the boo hooing :D

How on earth do you think that "pulling up the drawbridge" enables Rugby League to "strengthen from within"??

Where will the moat be dug? Around central East Lancs? then another around Mid west Yorkshire, then one last one in Humberside?

Three small areas of the north of England where RL has any sort of a presence beyond a minority sport. Outside of that it's struggling badly.

We had a long debate on the SKY contract. It's now that £90.000.000 that underpins the game and stops it collapsing, yet you'd offer SKY a smaller regional game, in which too many clubs would chase too few fans and players.

I couldn't for a moment imagine the game managing to go forwards let alone stand still.

You do need to consider that if the game contracts as TFIL suggests SL may go to twelve. There'd be no room for Rovers then.

#76 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,145 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:46 AM

What people who are loving the possible contraction (again) of the pro game are doing on here is saying stuff like this, so I am surprised you repeat it?

It's like saying if salford had gone under "Oh don't worry there's still Swinton".

Crusaders went under in South Wales but we "always have the scorpions" who are third tier on low crowds conceding 50 points a game and going nowhere.

Gateshead are still there, watched by three men and a dog struggling to keep the RL flag going when once they attracted 4,000 fans and came sixth in Superleague.

If Leeds dissapeared somehow are we OK because Bramley still play north of the river?

It's not about flags on a map it's about the strength of the game and the loss of London Broncos will see the game decline in London but "that's OK we still have........"

I have Solly on ignore but I note in a quote (I'm a poet and don't know it) he says RL in south Wales is going downhill.

You can't take a professional club out of a RL set up and expect it to stay still let alone still go forward.

Nor can you retreat to the north and expect SKY to say "fantastic here's a bigger contract".

I don't know what people are thinking here maybe "If London go maybe my club will get in Superleague".

It's rather convenient for you to be able to reply to my points but not be able to see my answer.

It's better than "let's pay millions to keep a failing club afloat" and then whoops we'll have to cut back on Community Development officers to pay for it. That's exactly what the RFL has had to do recently, now if only they hadn't lost £700,000 on the Crusaders debacle then they might not have had to do it.

But you just can't see that the Welsh domestic league was stronger before Crusaders came along than it is now. Crusaders' "rise" didn't add as much to it as their demise took away.

#77 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,145 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:46 AM

I didn't say it was perfect though did I? How did the Welsh league go on in the 80's and 90's? We have Welshmen playing RL professionally *through choice*, not as a second choice either today...when has that ever happened? Of course it isn't perfect....what is?

GT switched codes 4 years ago....hardly an age. Who knows what may happen with a genuinely Welsh RL team?

It's better now than it was but it's taken a step backwards of late. It may move forwards again in the future.

#78 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,701 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:49 AM

It's better now than it was but it's taken a step backwards of late. It may move forwards again in the future.

2 steps forward one backwards, is still going forward. It might not be incredible but its more than we ever had before.

#79 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:03 AM

Rebrand as London RFC, lure them in under false pretenses...

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#80 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,018 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:24 AM

Tro, I am really really sorry that.........You once said my posts made you physically sick :lol:

So stop the boo hooing :D

How on earth do you think that "pulling up the drawbridge" enables Rugby League to "strengthen from within"??

Where will the moat be dug? Around central East Lancs? then another around Mid west Yorkshire, then one last one in Humberside?

Three small areas of the north of England where RL has any sort of a presence beyond a minority sport. Outside of that it's struggling badly.

We had a long debate on the SKY contract. It's now that £90.000.000 that underpins the game and stops it collapsing, yet you'd offer SKY a smaller regional game, in which too many clubs would chase too few fans and players.

I couldn't for a moment imagine the game managing to go forwards let alone stand still.

You do need to consider that if the game contracts as TFIL suggests SL may go to twelve. There'd be no room for Rovers then.

By pulling up the drawbridge I mean settling for what we've got. Realising that as an old enemy of mine used to say "what can't speak can't lie" Forced expansion has been tried all over England and Wales and it clearly doesn't work. Scorpions attracted 329 fans the other week. Crusaders about twice that number. I'd love people to flock to our game and demand a pro club, but until they do, or we find a benefactor with bottomless pockets - like Abramovich say - we need to consolidate what we've got and allow the heartland clubs (including Catalan) to grow stronger. If we can have a successful World Cup - and by successful I mean win it then perhaps with the higher profile this brings the demand for expansion clubs witll come. There would be room for Rovers, and Halifax and Leigh and Sheffield in a two division comp with 10 teams in each division. But again that's for the future when the game has got its act together again.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users