• This topic is locked This topic is locked
341 replies to this topic

#161 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:28 PM

Doncaster and York are still there.

We seem obsessed with South Wales -as I said earlier - they don't want us.

You are so one eyed it's incredible.

Scorpions and Crusaders are still there?

Last night I watched two Welsh lads hammer away at the Leeds pack and do as well as anyone on the pitch.

I'll send you a cigar if you can name them?

#162 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

Don't be so ludicrous. A few half hearted attempts in 118 years does not equate with a serious effort at establishing RL in Wales. It doesn't even equate to getting your fingers warm. We now, for the first time, have actual Welsh players choosing RL. Besides, the very idea that people like sports based on where they live is mental.

Perhaps a bit ott there, Johnoco? People who live in the USA tend to like baseball, people who live in the UK tend to like cricket. Many people who live on the Indian subcontinent like Kabaddi (sp?) people who live in Brazil tend to like soccer.

Not comparing like for like exactly (I've used countries, the original argument was based on much smaller geographic entities), but there is some substance in the idea that where you were brought up (and, by extension, where you live) would have an impact on which sports you follow.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#163 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,122 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

Last night I watched two Welsh lads hammer away at the Leeds pack and do as well as anyone on the pitch.

Doncaster and York are still there can you not see what impact they've made on the game parky :D ? and both are in Yorkshire.
For almost all their history Doncaster have been an object of at best pity and at worst ridicule: remmber another bloody Sunday?
York are one the the sports sleeping Giants to the extent that Rip van Winkle is an insomniac let's hope av Wilson and those around him can kick some ass.

I would suggest that Skorpions and Crusaders are rather more than 'still there'
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#164 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,122 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

Perhaps a bit ott there, Johnoco? People who live in the USA tend to like baseball, people who live in the UK tend to like cricket. Many people who live on the Indian subcontinent like Kabaddi (sp?) people who live in Brazil tend to like soccer.

Not comparing like for like exactly (I've used countries, the original argument was based on much smaller geographic entities), but there is some substance in the idea that where you were brought up (and, by extension, where you live) would have an impact on which sports you follow.

there is a lot in what you say Tony

If you were brought up in the North of England, chance are you like soccer.
Keeping it local

#165 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

there is a lot in what you say Tony

If you were brought up in the North of England, chance are you like soccer.

I did. Then I grew up. :)

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#166 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,087 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:48 PM

Yes but the difference is this: I can well understand that if you grow up in Canada you may well end up as an Ice Hockey fan, that's perfectly logical. This doesn't mean though that there is some genetic programming going on that says only you and those in your immediate area can appreciate or play the game. Or that you would find it strange for others could enjoy it too.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#167 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,170 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:53 PM

Yeah watched by two men and a dog - a bit like London really. I don't like it but it's the way things are. Rugby League outside its birth counties (can't say heartlands any more it upsets Chris - not hard) is not a paying proposition. Slagging off the likes of Doncaster and York is not the answer. Saying yeah but they're just as bad or worse. The whole point of clubs in London or Wales is to have some success, and we are having the opposite. Running a Super League club with inelligble players and then pulling the rug because it aint easy is hardly the stuff that expansion is made of.
The point is that evenly the moderately successful clubs in Super League or the higher echelons of the Championship play in front of decent crowds on a regular basis. London's last game was in front of a crowd of 1600 which half according to Lobby who was there were from Hull and a good number of the rest were schoolkids let in for nowt. It wouldn't matter as much if they were having some success on the field but they're not. Say what you like about Sheffield, they beat Fev the other night and no other club in the Championhip has managed that so far this season. Fair play to 'em!

Edited by Trojan, 16 March 2013 - 06:02 PM.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#168 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:59 PM

Yes but the difference is this: I can well understand that if you grow up in Canada you may well end up as an Ice Hockey fan, that's perfectly logical. This doesn't mean though that there is some genetic programming going on that says only you and those in your immediate area can appreciate or play the game. Or that you would find it strange for others could enjoy it too.

True, but I think with some people (like me) the brain gets hardwired to follow a club and sport between being 10-15 years old, as a result of various experiences (e.g. winning the league/cup, avoiding relegation in the last minute etc).

#169 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,087 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

True, but I think with some people (like me) the brain gets hardwired to follow a club and sport between being 10-15 years old, as a result of various experiences (e.g. winning the league/cup, avoiding relegation in the last minute etc).

That's just following a certain team though, which most people do. It doesn't lead to only liking sports or things only from your local area.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#170 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,188 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

Earlier in the week you were arguing that Broncos demise would be a tragedy and that saying that Skolars & Stags were no consolation. Now the wind has changed direction and it suits you to argue that we still have a meaningful presence in Wales with Scorpions and Crusaders.

#171 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,188 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:05 PM

These weren't attempts at missionary work. I find it a source of sadness that Rugby League has a so called 'heartlands', somethingwhic others seem proud of and somthing which depressingly we are being urged to retreat to.

Do cricket, union, soccer, field hockey blah de blah have heartlands? Do they hell.

I'd rather RL was played everywhere but I'd glad we at least have one region where the sport is strong. We shouldn't diss the heartlands, there would be no RL if Yorks, Lancs and Cumbria had not embraced the game and kept it going.

#172 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,122 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:20 PM

I'd rather RL was played everywhere but I'd glad we at least have one region where the sport is strong. We shouldn't diss the heartlands, there would be no RL if Yorks, Lancs and Cumbria had not embraced the game and kept it going.

but it isn't strong. It is minority sport in its own' heartlands'. I a not dissing 'the heartlands', far from it. I do have a distatste for the stereotype that it rpresents, since it limits thesports percievedavailability, and well I just can't do wit thatb stuff and the people who purvey it. I'm just dismayed at the situaion as a whole. Which other team prt in England has a 'heartlands'.

Retreating to those heartlands- a situation some see as a good thin,g fills mewith dread
Keeping it local

#173 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,188 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:05 PM

but it isn't strong. It is minority sport in its own' heartlands'. I a not dissing 'the heartlands', far from it. I do have a distatste for the stereotype that it rpresents, since it limits thesports percievedavailability, and well I just can't do wit thatb stuff and the people who purvey it. I'm just dismayed at the situaion as a whole. Which other team prt in England has a 'heartlands'.

Every sport bar soccer is a minority sport in England. Neither cricket nor union have a region as strong as our heartlands. It is unrealistic to expect to be much stronger in the heartlands than we are.

The problem is that we are extremely weak everywhere else.

Retreating to those heartlands- a situation some see as a good thin,g fills mewith dread

Let me be clear, I do not agree with Trojan and we've had our differences but I think it's unfair to say that he views this as "a good thing". He just views it as an inevitability that must be accepted.

Personally I think that sides like Skolars, Hemel, Oxford etc represent a new future for the game. We just need to think in terms of decades not years.

#174 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 503 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:46 PM

Mmmm the heartlands are no were near saturated. Some of the biggest towns and cities know very little of rugby league

#175 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

Retreating to those heartlands- a situation some see as a good thing fills me with dread.

It's a good thing in terms of some people's personal agenda.

You take London and Catalans out of Superleague and you then have to replace them with....well there you go.

Talking of personal agendas, Northern Sol, stop posting messages to me personally attacking me, your on ignore and your not going to get an answer. We fundamentally disagree on most things let's leave it at that.

Edited by The Parksider, 17 March 2013 - 08:56 AM.

#176 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,229 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:55 AM

Rugby League outside its birth counties is not a paying proposition.

The whole point of clubs in London or Wales is to have some success, and we are having the opposite.

Slagging off the likes of Doncaster and York is not the answer.

It's not a paying proposition anywhere other than at a small number of big clubs. Use that criteria and you have a Superleague of half a dozen clubs.

Your using your own criteria to condemn London and Wales, but not applying it to "Heartland clubs".

You admire any heartland club for mere survival yet condemn London and Wales for not being a roaring success?

How one eyed is that??

How biased was it to say Londons crowd against Widnes was one half widnes fans and the rest free tickets.

Last year Crusaders crowds were 927.

That beat the crowds of York, Swinton, Hunslet, Workington, Whitehaven, Doncaster, Oldham and Rochdale.

London Skolars had bigger crowds than Hunslet!

#177 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,122 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:03 AM

Every sport bar soccer is a minority sport in England. Neither cricket nor union have a region as strong as our heartlands. It is unrealistic to expect to be much stronger in the heartlands than we are.

The problem is that we are extremely weak everywhere else.

Let me be clear, I do not agree with Trojan and we've had our differences but I think it's unfair to say that he views this as "a good thing". He just views it as an inevitability that must be accepted.

Personally I think that sides like Skolars, Hemel, Oxford etc represent a new future for the game. We just need to think in terms of decades not years.

I take your point about soccer: but look at it this way rugby league is a minority sport demographically union isn't cricket isn't: and that includes its own heartlands.

just to be absolutely clear: none of my comments relate to anything that Trojan has said. They re just my views on the situation.

I agree with your last comment entirely
Keeping it local

#178 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,122 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:04 AM

Mmmm the heartlands are no were near saturated. Some of the biggest towns and cities know very little of rugby league

quite
Keeping it local

#179 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,506 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:20 AM

We shouldn't diss the heartlands, there would be no RL if Yorks, Lancs and Cumbria had not embraced the game and kept it going.

There would, but its heartlands would be in Australia. Now that's an expansion effort that took off good style.

#180 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,478 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:45 AM

I agree with your synopsis but people can also pick up new sports in new areas. I was in a sports bar yesterday watching the 6 nations and in a small corner were a group of Dominican Republic citizens going wild watching the Dominican Republic play Puerto Rico in the World Baseball classic aka the baseball world cup. In their previous game they knocked off the USA. The two time defending champions are Japan. Teams from Australia, Holland, Italy and many South American countries as well as Canada, Korea and China are in this tournament.

The USA invented modern baseball and it was played there alone for ,many decades but the spread of the game is growing. Japanese baseball is a hugely succesful fully pro league with huge stadia jammed with huge crowds.

I don't see that RL can't spread and develop in the same way and seems to be slowly doing so. Sports can spread to new areas successfully. Rugby ( League nor Union) has done so int the past. The game was originally an England only sport.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users