Maritime madness

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:10 PM

Just heard the Haven v Town game on the Sunday 23rd of June will be at 12 o'clock, because of the Maritime festival which is on the same day...........complete madness :o I wonder if haven requested that date for the fixture thinking they would get a bumper crowd ? They need to think again if that was the case. I for one will give it a big swerve. :o

#2 Town Army

Town Army
  • Coach
  • 256 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:17 PM

Is that official??

#3 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,868 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:21 PM

Is that official??

How stupid is that? On any day that they are home to Town you can hardly get parked so I can see a lot of fans not bothering because the town is packed already on Maritime weekend. Don't they usually have some group or other on the Rec grounds opposite the bowling greens as well on that weekend.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#4 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:31 PM

They may attract a lot of neutrals though. Would've made sense to query that when the draft fixtures came out.
But then again it would've made sense not to go bust owing the taxpayer, local council and local businesses a fortune.....

#5 Town Army

Town Army
  • Coach
  • 256 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:48 PM

I know they always try and get a home game on maritime Sunday so to attract a bigger gate but its a bit silly as they would have got that against Town no matter when they play us.

#6 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 562 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:53 PM

Simple sense would be to play the game at 5 or 6 once the festival officially finishes make the haven - town game the final part of it

#7 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 562 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:55 PM

How stupid is that? On any day that they are home to Town you can hardly get parked so I can see a lot of fans not bothering because the town is packed already on Maritime weekend. Don't they usually have some group or other on the Rec grounds opposite the bowling greens as well on that weekend.

The groups play in a makeshift stand on the argos car park on the fri and sat night keith

#8 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,868 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:12 PM

The groups play in a makeshift stand on the argos car park on the fri and sat night keith

Thanks donald. I can't imagine why they would want to have a home game on the maritime weekend. They are hardly likely to attract any neutral fans and this year they have Katherine Jenkins on the main stage on Friday evening and Status Quo on the Saturday evening. The cost of tickets for those two shows will not be cheap and people will be out around the town and the pubs over the weekend. As good as we all think a derby match is between our two clubs I don't think others will see it that way and their £15 will be spent elsewhere that weekend.

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#9 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 885 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:05 PM

Just heard the Haven v Town game on the Sunday 23rd of June will be at 12 o'clock, because of the Maritime festival which is on the same day...........complete madness :o I wonder if haven requested that date for the fixture thinking they would get a bumper crowd ? They need to think again if that was the case. I for one will give it a big swerve. :o

Me to, will be giving it a miss now, think the attendance will suffer coz of this.

#10 Town Army

Town Army
  • Coach
  • 256 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:11 PM

If my team are playing a derby game and its a close to home as this then I wouldn't miss it for the world!! There's always a way of getting there.

#11 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 825 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:32 PM

That is right TOWN ARMY no matter what just let us get there to give the lads the support UP THE TOWN.

#12 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 885 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:42 PM

If my team are playing a derby game and its a close to home as this then I wouldn't miss it for the world!! There's always a way of getting there.

Suppose you could always get on the shuttle buses that go from the college, would save on parking, thats if they are on mind.

#13 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 825 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:59 PM

I think the travellers are running a ferry from workington harbour to whitehaven harbour there will be coaches there to take us to the ground.Just thought take your sea sick tablets.ha ha

#14 rockerlad

rockerlad
  • Coach
  • 595 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:06 PM

I hope this KO time isnt true, seems odd to me

#15 fester

fester
  • Coach
  • 515 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:41 PM

Same when we play haven at home good friday they have changed wigan n st helens time to early ko for some reason t do with football that might put a few off

#16 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

Why is the Good Friday game a 1pm kick off, anybody know ?

#17 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:48 PM

uppies and downies pal

#18 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,868 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:54 PM

Looks like this threads upset the "Mullett" (H4E) as he's started his own on the Haven forum. I think Town are getting under his skin. ;) ;) ;)

#19 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

uppies and downies pal

Last couple of Good Friday games at home against haven have been a 3pm KO so what's the difference this year ? I remember several years back when the police made us kick off early in the choo choo cup after a bit of fan trouble outside thr ground. Can't see that been the reason now though, it's one huge love in..........isn't it !!!!!!

#20 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:25 PM

Looks like this threads upset the "Mullett" (H4E) as he's started his own on the Haven forum. I think Town are getting under his skin. ;) ;) ;)

we have been getting under is skin for while. He will seize any opportunity to have a go at town. Atleast he never called us widnes reserves this time lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users