Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Meanwhile "our" Gov't tries to look after its mates

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,502 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:30 AM

Although I think Blair was rather a cowardly politician who could have done more with the mandate he had, I think it needs to be said that he was elected to bring about "Thatcherism with a smiling face". 1997 wasn't 1945 or 1979. The country really wasn't looking for a grand new settlement, it was looking for more of the same but nicer.

I think there is a lot in that
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#42 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

Ah. I can understand that.

I'll not poke you by reminding you which administration "failed to spot" that academies might not be a good idea.

And I'll not poke you by reminding you of the enormous differences between the original Academies and the current ones.

FWIW, I wasn't in favour of the original Academy programme, I thought the required changes at school level could have been brought about with no structural changes above them. But the current Academisation programme is bordering on a kleptocracy.

That's me.  I'm done.

#43 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,434 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

And I'll not poke you by reminding you of the enormous differences between the original Academies and the current ones.

FWIW, I wasn't in favour of the original Academy programme, I thought the required changes at school level could have been brought about with no structural changes above them. But the current Academisation programme is bordering on a kleptocracy.

Have you thought about getting a former Prime Minister in to negotiate on your behalf. Obviously, you'll want to allow a couple of million quid for a week's false smiling. That should be enough, because he probably wont be paying any tax on it.
:D B)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#44 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:18 PM

Have you thought about getting a former Prime Minister in to negotiate on your behalf. Obviously, you'll want to allow a couple of million quid for a week's false smiling. That should be enough, because he probably wont be paying any tax on it.
:D B)

GJ is your man for that I think.

That's me.  I'm done.

#45 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,783 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

When will people get it into their thick heads that we are just as much ''the EU'' as any other European nation. We elect proportionally the same number of MEPs as everyone else. Those MEPs sit on the committees etc. like everyone else. Just goes to show that brian washing barge of anti EU guff form certain newspapers does work if people believe that the UK has no say in EU law.

Yes. It would be quite helpful if certain ministers realised this too.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#46 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 834 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

Although I think Blair was rather a cowardly politician who could have done more with the mandate he had, I think it needs to be said that he was elected to bring about "Thatcherism with a smiling face". 1997 wasn't 1945 or 1979. The country really wasn't looking for a grand new settlement, it was looking for more of the same but nicer.

Exactly. It's not Labour's fault, it's not the Conservatives fault, it's not the Coalitions fault. It's "OUR" fault because the politicians pander to our collective wants, otherwise they get thrown out for the next lot promising pipe dreams.

#47 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,086 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

Can I just point out that there are hundreds of thousands of talented people working for banks trying to do the right thing.

Would it be possible to limit the rage to the execs if that is indeed who you are angry with?

When people state things like 'the bankers should be happy they still have a job' - it'd be nice if they considered the tens of thousands who actually were made redundant (and are still being made redundant).

Apologies for asking for a little bit of reasoned discussion around such a hot topic.

#48 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,874 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:55 PM

The way is should be done? Company makes a profit and shares said profit among it's employees.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#49 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:55 PM

Can I just point out that there are hundreds of thousands of talented people working for banks trying to do the right thing.

Would it be possible to limit the rage to the execs if that is indeed who you are angry with?

When people state things like 'the bankers should be happy they still have a job' - it'd be nice if they considered the tens of thousands who actually were made redundant (and are still being made redundant).

Apologies for asking for a little bit of reasoned discussion around such a hot topic.

I thought it was a given that we would be referring to the fat cats as opposed to anyone that works for a bank? I'm happy to make that distinction though.

#50 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,263 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

The way is should be done? Company makes a profit and shares said profit among it's employees.

It is indeed how things should be done.

Shame they made 300 people redundant a month or two ago.

EDIT:
Also don't show that to May. He's quite grumpy about Waitrose for some reason.

Edited by gingerjon, 07 March 2013 - 01:03 PM.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#51 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,086 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:05 PM

I thought it was a given that we would be referring to the fat cats as opposed to anyone that works for a bank? I'm happy to make that distinction though.

Yes - maybe in many of the posts here that was clear, however often when the numbers are quoted usually hundreds of millions or so, they include the banking 'minnows' to get the higher number for spectacular effect.

When people talk about bailing the banks out, they actually saved hundreds of thousands of jobs, and plenty of people's savings.

I'm certainly not saying it was the right way to go about it, but people should remember that the vast majority of people who work for banks, are just normal people living a normal life.

#52 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,874 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

It is indeed how things should be done.

Shame they made 300 people redundant a month or two ago.

EDIT:

Indeed it is. But with their recent history of growth through opening new shops I would imagine that their total head count will be back to the pre-redundancy levels in the not to distant future.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#53 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,263 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:10 PM

I would imagine that their total head count will be back to the pre-redundancy levels in the not to distant future.

That's a fair point.
- Severus, July 2012

#54 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:20 PM

Had the previous "government" :lol: indulged in proper regulation, and had they made an example of Northern Rock, and had not millions of greedy Labour voters fallen for the great Blair deception, this situation would not have been anywhere near as bad. When Brown said he'd abolished "boom and bust" he was basing it on the effects of the housing price bubble that the Blair govt had created and exploited. How could any sensible person not see that a trebling of house prices in the ten years after Labours election was anything other than a recipe for disaster Yes, bankers may be greedy, but just as greedy as those that borrowed recklessly at the expense of savers and pensioners, the unemployed and those in social housing so that they could get their own feet in the trough. What is it they sing at the Labour Party conference? Ah, yes, "The working class can kiss my ######, we'll keep the red flag flying here!"

John, it is wrong to assume that any criticism of the present government automatically implies absolute approval of everything done by the previous government. When it comes to accepting the myths woven about themselves by the financial services industry, both are culpable. Neither dared assert any real control over it, despite its capacity to sink the economy.

But, now that it actually has sunk the economy, and sucked in billions of pounds of taxpayer's money to prevent its complete collapse, to continue to pander to these false gods is just stupid.

If a 100% bonus is not enough for some people, it is time to call their bluff and let them go.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#55 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,766 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

it is wrong to assume that any criticism of the present government automatically implies absolute approval of everything done by the previous government.

You fool! You're undermining the very foundations of political debate! ;)

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#56 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:03 PM

You're very sparky today Jon. Did you get laid last night?

I didn't. Hence the grumpiness....

That's me.  I'm done.

#57 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,361 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:29 PM

Pity they got rid of all their cleaners years ago and contract it out to companies who pay minimum wage.

(The cleaners used to be 'members' too I think, not sure the current 'members' want them back as it will hit the profits and bonuses... one team...)
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#58 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:25 PM

This.

Of course I'm properly balanced in that I get annoyed that my honest tax-dollars are paying not only banker bonuses but guaranteed pensions for maths lecturers.

Let's all race to the bottom and dismantle every bit of employment law and benefits for the working man, that were won by our forefathers blood, be thrown away because of me first and sod off everyone else politics.

#59 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,207 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

If you believe that a government that had thirteen years with huge working majorities must be absolved of blame entirely then, yes.

If you believe that actually YEAH-BOO politicking belongs only in the kindergarten or House of Commons (but I repeat myself) then, no.

Who said they should be absolved of blame? They are guilty of letting the banks do as they pleased. But they are not responsible for the mess we find outselves in today - that is down to Georgie boy. Labour left a deficit - they also left2% growth - within weeks of Osbornes' first budget it's depressing effect on the economy was felt and that growth disappeared.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#60 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,263 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:58 AM

You're very sparky today Jon. Did you get laid last night?

I'm a married man with two children, Steve. One of whom is testing to the very limit what mainstream support can offer at a time when all those services are either being cut or having to meet meaningless targets that diminish the service available for him. I'm not even sure what getting laid means. It's something I vaguely remember from uni. It sounds like fun.
- Severus, July 2012