Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Glasshoughton Stadium Dream Finally Dead

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:07 PM

http://www.pontefrac...press-1-5471301

To be clear, I am not gloating, just sharing what I've just seen on the Ponte and Cas website.

Only a headline at the moment, word on Casforum is that it's all over and WMDC have withdrawn the offer of £2m financial assistance.

Very bad news for all associated with Cas

#2 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:32 AM

Sad news. I wonder if this will resurrect talk of a ground share?

#3 PREPOSTEROUS

PREPOSTEROUS
  • Coach
  • 667 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:09 AM

Cas are looking to regenerate Wheldon Road. The enabling development that was earmarked to provide funding for GH is, I believe, going to be used to upgrade the existing ground instead.

There has already been rumours that Cas are looking to pick over the bones of the Don Valley so i don't believe there will be any ground share, at least not permanently.

#4 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,798 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:17 AM

Surely if they were to redo Wheldon Road, they'd pretty much have to knock it down and start again? There's hardly any room behind the two covered terraces and the pitch needs extending.

I honestly can't see Cas making it past the next licensing round without a new stadium.
Posted Image

#5 PREPOSTEROUS

PREPOSTEROUS
  • Coach
  • 667 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

Council funding withdrawn from Newmarket also apparently.

#6 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,943 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Cas and Wakey should be sharing a stadium. They'd have been in it by now if people had seen sense
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#7 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:25 AM

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Cas and Wakey should be sharing a stadium. They'd have been in it by now if people had seen sense

It would make financial sense, but don't you worry that it would be the thin end of a merger wedge?

#8 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:46 AM

Sharing a stadium makes so much sense. And to be honest could be the only way either are going to get in a new stadium any time soon.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#9 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:59 AM

It would make financial sense, but don't you worry that it would be the thin end of a merger wedge?

Nah, thered be no need to merge, AC & Inter do quite well.

Cummins Out.

#10 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,943 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:02 AM

No I don't.

there'll be the obvious bickering about colour of the seats and who gets the 50p per pie sold etc but no need to talk of a merger because of a shared stadium
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#11 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:07 AM

No I don't.

there'll be the obvious bickering about colour of the seats and who gets the 50p per pie sold etc but no need to talk of a merger because of a shared stadium

Fair enough, but can you see thousands from Cas turning up at Newmarket, or thousands from Wakey turning up at Glasshoughton (which is the better location)?

It's not like you can walk and have a few pre match beers like many do at the moment.

I would worry that it would signal a long slow death of whichever club moved away from it's roots.

Edited by Ponterover, 07 March 2013 - 11:09 AM.

#12 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,943 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:08 AM

eventually yes

Posted Image

#13 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

A crude Google maps search says between 6.7-9.6 miles depending which way you go and around 17-20 minutes journey time from Wheldon Road to Stanley.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#14 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:24 AM

If they ever shared a Stadium then an i-pitch may be the way to go..........
Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#15 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:30 AM

If they ever shared a Stadium then an i-pitch may be the way to go..........

If they could afford the extra cost then yes, and a roll of "I was a brave boy today" stickers for Richard Mathers.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#16 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

I pitch all the way for any shared stadium.. Without new stadia both Cas and Wakey would be looking over their shoulder come License time.. providing there is another round of licensing of course..

Personally i think both teams playing out of the same stadium would generate even more rivalry, which would be great come derby day.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#17 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

A crude Google maps search says between 6.7-9.6 miles depending which way you go and around 17-20 minutes journey time from Wheldon Road to Stanley.

It isnt that far from Wheldon Road to the Newmarket site, which is more Methley area than stanley..
Posted Image

#18 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

It isnt that far from Wheldon Road to the Newmarket site, which is more Methley area than stanley..

Fair enough.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#19 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

Maybe if they both committed to ground share the Council funding would be re-instated.
Ground share had always seemed the most financially benificial, that's easily said from outside the area like me.

#20 PREPOSTEROUS

PREPOSTEROUS
  • Coach
  • 667 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

Newmarket is available for Cas to use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users