Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Glasshoughton Stadium Dream Finally Dead

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#21 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

Newmarket is available for Cas to use.

But at the present moment, Newmarket is no more developed than Wheldon Road is. ;) :D

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#22 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

Council funding withdrawn from Newmarket also apparently.

Lets get the facts right,

The funding from the council for both stadiums is subject to periodic review, that review has just taken place and Castleford have apparently been informed that the offer to them has'nt been renewed, however the funding ooffered to Newmarket has.

#23 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:31 PM

Sharing a stadium makes so much sense. And to be honest could be the only way either are going to get in a new stadium any time soon.

Wakefields Newmarket Stadium is progressing very nicely thank you very much!

#24 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

But at the present moment, Newmarket is no more developed than Wheldon Road is. ;) :D

Just as at one stage Langtree Park, City of Salford Stadium or any other huge development were no more developed than Wheldon Rd/Glasshoughton.

Lots of progress has been made in progressing the Newmarket Stadium, a spade in the ground isn't that far off.

#25 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

Just as at one stage Langtree Park, City of Salford Stadium or any other huge development were no more developed than Wheldon Rd/Glasshoughton.

Lots of progress has been made in progressing the Newmarket Stadium, a spade in the ground isn't that far off.

Humour by-pass? ;)

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#26 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

What is the current situation of Newmarket?

Has council funding been withdrawn or not?
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#27 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:17 PM

Talking of Stadia, i've just seen Saints have sold the naming rights to one of their stands.. to an e-cigarette company. Totally Wicked-Eliquid!.. two year deal.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#28 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,093 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Cas and Wakey should be sharing a stadium. They'd have been in it by now if people had seen sense

Absolutely, I have also been banging the drum in the past for a double pitch back to back double stadium for the three clubs in the area.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#29 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,482 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

Talking of Stadia, i've just seen Saints have sold the naming rights to one of their stands.. to an e-cigarette company. Totally Wicked-Eliquid!.. two year deal.

Yep. It's now the Totally Wicked North Stand. They have e-cigs on sale in the club shop and there will be amnesty matches when people can swap a regular cigarette for a freebie e-cig. Apparently Totally Wicked have the same arrangement with Blackburn Rovers but this is the first deal of its kind in rugby of either code.

Saints have also just lost the company that was overseeing hospitality stuff as they have gone into administration. I hope the club manage to put some alternative arrangements in place for the game against Wakey or else there could be chaos at the bars on matchday!

#30 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,482 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:17 PM

Sorry to read that Glasshoughton is a dead duck. Hopefully Cas will be able to find alternative sources of funding to rebuild their present ground although that looks like a massive mountain to climb.

#31 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:04 PM

Both should lose a franchise too many broken promises from both over the years ^_^

#32 snapski

snapski
  • Coach
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:32 PM

Both should lose a franchise too many broken promises from both over the years ^_^

plank, it's not for the want of trying, good luck Wakey, just isn't much investment in the Cas area at all.

#33 DAZROVER1985

DAZROVER1985
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:59 PM

plank, it's not for the want of trying, good luck Wakey, just isn't much investment in the Cas area at all.

seems to be plenty in the fev area!!

#34 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:17 PM

Yeah right. Spin coming out of Cas has been hilarious for years: a company was going to build them a stadium, remediate the site of their current ground, carry out £millions of road improvements, build a supermarket and make a profit...... Wakey aren't much better either.

#35 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:40 PM

What Cas need to do is ensure that any ground upgraded to Wheldon Road are not the worst in SL. For me, the worst grounds are Wakey, Cas, Bradford and Hull KR. The latter are doing up their ground leaving the other three. So effectively Cas should aim to have more cover per person and more seats than Odsal, in case Wakey get their ground.

Cas's ground has lots of cover and holds over 10k so really it only lacks on seats

#36 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:49 PM

Are you having a laugh? Cas has had millions ploughed in over the time that Box (a Cas lad and season ticket holder) has been leader. Do you think that the whole Cas Vegas development appeared as if by magic?

Ponte, Knottingley, Fev, SESKU and Ackworth are the places that have seen next to no investment.

#37 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:57 PM

What Cas need to do is ensure that any ground upgraded to Wheldon Road are not the worst in SL. For me, the worst grounds are Wakey, Cas, Bradford and Hull KR. The latter are doing up their ground leaving the other three. So effectively Cas should aim to have more cover per person and more seats than Odsal, in case Wakey get their ground.

Cas's ground has lots of cover and holds over 10k so really it only lacks on seats

You're clearly not up to date with all things Cas, they're brassic. A few weeks ago £15k of cabling was nicked from the ground that they couldn't afford to replace despite all the income associated with being in the premier UK rugby league division, without a(nother) loan from Mr Fulton. How on earth are they going to upgrade WR? Or maybe they could sell the training pitch and car park to someone to build a small/medium sized retail outlet ;)

#38 Forever Trinity

Forever Trinity
  • Coach
  • 634 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:01 AM

Not ben to Wakey recently I presume with the new lids on at the ground providing cover for thousands.

#39 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,952 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:18 AM

You're clearly not up to date with all things Cas, they're brassic. A few weeks ago £15k of cabling was nicked from the ground that they couldn't afford to replace despite all the income associated with being in the premier UK rugby league division, without a(nother) loan from Mr Fulton. How on earth are they going to upgrade WR? Or maybe they could sell the training pitch and car park to someone to build a small/medium sized retail outlet ;)

And looking at that quote, you're not up to date with all things Cas. But crack on mate, it's funny reading
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#40 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,800 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:35 AM

Sorry to read that Glasshoughton is a dead duck. Hopefully Cas will be able to find alternative sources of funding to rebuild their present ground although that looks like a massive mountain to climb.

Probably build the new ground on the training pitch area then demolish the old ground and build a 5,000 square meter supermarket in it's place.

Who owns the old Wheldale pit site?
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users