Glasshoughton Stadium Dream Finally Dead

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#41 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,925 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:45 AM

Cass or more realistically Fev) could always borrow ours when we are not using it. see here

#42 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,987 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:01 AM

What Cas need to do is ensure that any ground upgraded to Wheldon Road are not the worst in SL.
Cas's ground has lots of cover and holds over 10k so really it only lacks on seats

Mr Ferres echoed the licensing's commitee's problem with the ground. Yes it can hold 10,000 and keep most of them dry but it lacks the facilities to maximise revenues from a 7,000 crowd. Seating does help add revenue but they also raise ticket prices, and they may be hard to install and the terracing isn't designed to take them.

Once your asked to sit on an inadequate seat under a tin roof with a poor view of the ground and have to pay another fiver for that you may decide to give it a miss altogether. In short just adding seats will be a farce, they'd have to build a stand to take them.

Can they afford a new stand. If they could the far end is the end that could take a mini Carnegie stand, but the fans don't think they have the money for that. Other revenue streams come from bars and food outlets and sponsors boxes, they all cost money to install too. Good money after bad???

When I go to Cas there's a big walk up crowd. How many actually park cars like me (old co-op car park) and walk or walk from home I dunno, but crowds of 6,700 last year would be affected by a move to share Newmarket.

The Saints move to Widnes saw a crowd of 11500 in ramshackle Knowsley road drop to 8,000 down the road in Widnes's shiny new stadium. That's a drop of 30% and the same applied to Cas sharing down the road would see their crowds drop to 4.700. There's no solution money wise there, all sharing may do for Cas is to get them another licence because they have a shiny ground.

That will score a point but I can't see the business plan scoring any points.

Featherstone will continue to hold their nerve and court Mr. Nahaboo. When small town but big history Widnes went up their crowds
went up from 3,700 to 6,000 a 60% rise. Add 60% to Featherstone's hoped for this season 2,500 average crowd and you get 4,000.

Wakefield therefore will be the one club out of the three that may have the shiney stadium and a big crowd to fill it. This is unless something goes wrong with Newmarket over that ruling that the units have to be leased before the stadium can be built (update welcome here), then we'll have all three clubs not particularly offering that much "Super" to Superleague.

I may be wrong but the RFL rules on a Championship club getting a licence 2015 seemed to be based on the rider that this WOULD be the case IF Superleague remained at 14 clubs? If so all three of the clubs in the (is Kenny Tiger listening? I'll take a chance) "CALDER" area risk being out of Superleague come 2015.

#43 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:16 AM

Cass or more realistically Fev) could always borrow ours when we are not using it. see here

Sandy Desert reborn!

Yes, I'm aware that this was an ironic name.

#44 Wakey Til I Die

Wakey Til I Die
  • Coach
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

Probably build the new ground on the training pitch area then demolish the old ground and build a 5,000 square meter supermarket in it's place.

That won't happen seeing how Tesco are in advanced negotiaiions to build on the Netle site a matter of a few hundred metres away from the Cas ground. They may well get a small donation from tesco though and sell the training ground and car park for affordable housing and spend that on doing it up.

#45 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,987 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:53 PM

That won't happen seeing how Tesco are in advanced negotiaiions to build on the Netle site a matter of a few hundred metres away from the Cas ground. They may well get a small donation from tesco though and sell the training ground and car park for affordable housing and spend that on doing it up.

They need to hurry up if that is feasible?.

It's just occurred to me how time flies and we are now into the second of the three year licensing period.

Does anyone know when the applications for 2015 have to be in for and when they are judged??

#46 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,901 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

It's just occurred to me how time flies and we are now into the second of the three year licensing period.

Does anyone know when the applications for 2015 have to be in for and when they are judged??

Not sure how we're supposed to know when the RFL don't!
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#47 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,987 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:06 PM

Not sure how we're supposed to know when the RFL don't!

Oh sorry, I didn't know that there was no announcement.

I have managed to find out that in 2011 Widnes got the nod in March? Then they put off the decision until late autumn as to who to kick out?

Thinking about it now the RFL have to declare whether it's 10,12 or 14 for Superleague first, so does anyone know when that date is due!!

I'd guess it would have to be by March next year.

Edited by The Parksider, 08 March 2013 - 03:07 PM.

#48 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,433 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

If I remember correctly, last time they had to be submitted in December, and the annoucement was made in March.

#49 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,987 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:21 PM

If I remember correctly, last time they had to be submitted in December, and the annoucement was made in March.

Thank you....

#50 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

I think that was for the Championship clubs. SL clubs submitted later if I recall correctly. But as people have said, the RFL don't appear to have published any details around the next licences.

#51 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,987 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

I think that was for the Championship clubs. SL clubs submitted later if I recall correctly. But as people have said, the RFL don't appear to have published any details around the next licences.

Yes indeed, the decision as to who to kick out was much much later in the year.

and as above the RFL/SLE have still to decide on the SL numbers for 2015.

#52 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:53 PM

OTish,
Reserved Matters (full planning) application for Newmarket will be submitted on 4th April, it's expected to be a complete formality and if/when passed that's all the planning hurdles cleared.

There's rumour, but a strong rumour, that the Stadium Trust and the Developers have found a way of funding the stadium without having to build the units first. A 3rd party investor is apparently prepared to under right the build cost of the stadium and secure his investment on the money that would have eventually come from leasing the units.

Edited by OMEGA, 08 March 2013 - 08:59 PM.

#53 plug

plug
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:47 PM

not Eric france buy any chance is it ???

#54 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

Iv been against the shared ground from the start but now I no there is 0 chance of us gettin our own ground id say our only option is to share a new ground, obviously id prefer it at glasshoughton as its near the xcape so theres a few bars there n its cas site but I wouldnt object to it been at newmarket as its only the next junction or 2 down m62.

Fev n fax seem to be gettin there stadiums sorted so its only a matter of time before there upto scratch
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#55 NEIL FOX IS GOD

NEIL FOX IS GOD
  • Coach
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:38 AM

what is so wrong with the stadium at Cas? they have the gates one new stand maybe 2 job done If some had their way Cas would br out replaced by ? Bristol or AN Other we would have a great stadium with 1500 watching fantastic

Newmarket too far out of Wakefield car parking will be a nightmare and I will believe it when I see builders on site would be better building 2 new stands at BV

Posted Image

#56 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,646 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:15 AM

what is so wrong with the stadium at Cas? they have the gates one new stand maybe 2 job done

Barely changed since I started going there fifty years ago.

Needs some safety work.

Limited opportunities to earn a secondary income, which will always leave them on the back foot.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#57 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:00 PM

what is so wrong with the stadium at Cas? they have the gates one new stand maybe 2 job done If some had their way Cas would br out replaced by ? Bristol or AN Other we would have a great stadium with 1500 watching fantastic

Newmarket too far out of Wakefield car parking will be a nightmare and I will believe it when I see builders on site would be better building 2 new stands at BV

Who's paying or where's the funding coming from for the new stands at Wheldon Rd and Belle Vue?

#58 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,646 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:02 PM

Who's paying or where's the funding coming from for the new stands at Wheldon Rd and Belle Vue?

What's the relevance of that ? :mellow:
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#59 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

What's the relevance of that ? :mellow:

EH?

Of course its relevant!

Wheldon Rd and Belle Vue are in the state theyre in because funding for redevelopment isn't there, years nay decades have been lost in the futile attempt to secure funds and redevelop both grounds. RL fans, Sports administrators, sponsors etc have all proclaimed their exasperation at the number of failed schemes that have been proposed over the years.

Now and for the forseeable future there simply doesn't seem to be any funds for redeveloping either stadium so to suggest that Cas or Wakey should look into redeveloping is just not logicl and just throws us back into the unsuccessful merry go round that we've been in for the last 30+ years.

Like its location or not Newmarket is THE ONLY option for Wakefield Trinity unless the club want to slip out of the top tier of the sport, even then its only a delay to the innevitable.

#60 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

http://www.pontefrac...press-1-5471301

To be clear, I am not gloating, just sharing what I've just seen on the Ponte and Cas website.

Only a headline at the moment, word on Casforum is that it's all over and WMDC have withdrawn the offer of £2m financial assistance.

Very bad news for all associated with Cas

Looks as though it hasn't sunk in with Dickie yet though http://www.pontefrac...-tail-1-5476522

'.....But Richard Wright, director and member of the club’s stadium steering project group, responded to the council’s statement by vowing to finalise their stadium plans.
He said: “We did meet Wakefield Council representatives at the beginning of February and the subject of their £2m offer was discussed.
“We were told that the council would do what they could to support us and they asked that we deliver detailed proposals to them for all our options and we are currently working these up.
“We do not know yet, what level of funding can be generated, so we are developing a number of options in some detail and once finished we intend to present these to the council.........'

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep, 09 March 2013 - 04:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users