"Salt of the Earth"

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Andy Stennett

Andy Stennett
  • Coach
  • 324 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:13 PM

The aim of this thread is to potentially raise funds for the Rovers.

Rovers has a long history linked to the mining industry and like many kids, I grew up with my Dad and Grandad's as miners (One of whom lived at No 25 POR).

My Dad passed away at the end of January and his passing galvanised me into finally finished off a song about miners & mining I wrote 40 years ago when I was 16.

"Salt of the Earth" is a tribute to my Dad and all the other miners from this area and I studio recorded it a couple of days after he died and it was played at his funeral in his memory.

The link to Rovers is that whilst he was on leave from the RAF in the early 50's, he met an attractive redhead when he was living in the now demolished Cherry Tree cottages, which were situated in the current Rovers car park facing onto POR and the rest is history.

I spoke with Graham Bray this week and I understand that CD copies will shortly be available in the club shop and all sales via the shop go to the club.

It would be great if this is favourably received e.g. Father's Day, in the near future but if it doesn't work out the way I hope, that would be okay too because to me my Dad will always be a man who was "The Salt of the Earth."
Spanish Apartment for Holiday Rental in Spain Visit www.ownersdirect.co.uk
Ref: S8185
Mobile 07738 528178

#2 Maureen T-k

Maureen T-k
  • 5,158 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:31 PM

The aim of this thread is to potentially raise funds for the Rovers.

Rovers has a long history linked to the mining industry and like many kids, I grew up with my Dad and Grandad's as miners (One of whom lived at No 25 POR).

My Dad passed away at the end of January and his passing galvanised me into finally finished off a song about miners & mining I
wrote 40 years ago when I was 16.

"Salt of the Earth" is a tribute to my Dad and all the other miners from this area and I studio recorded it a couple of days after he died and it was played at his funeral in his memory.

The link to Rovers is that whilst he was on leave from the RAF in the early 50's, he met an attractive redhead when he was living in the now demolished Cherry Tree cottages, which were situated in the current Rovers car park facing onto POR and the rest is history.

I spoke with Graham Bray this week and I understand that CD copies will shortly be available in the club shop and all sales via the shop go to the club.

It would be great if this is favourably received e.g. Father's Day, in the near future but if it doesn't work out the way I hope, that would be okay too because to me my Dad will always be a man who was "The Salt of the Earth."

Andy, first of all condolences on your loss, your Dad must have known my Dad, as he was born and bred at number 1 Moor Road, he too was in the RAF in the 50's completing his National Service. My Dad wasnt a miner a his own Dad wouldn't let him go to the pit as he was the youngest son, his 2 brothers were miners though. I would love to hear your song, and I think this is a wonderful gesture. My Dad was also " salt of the earth"
Im Fev and im proud

#3 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,309 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:00 AM

Good on you mate. My dad was a miner and is unfortunately coming to the end of his days now. He was/is also ' Salt of the earth'. He got me into watching Rovers in the mid 70s. He was a fan in the 50s 60s and 70s.

#4 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:00 PM

Good on you mate. My dad was a miner and is unfortunately coming to the end of his days now. He was/is also ' Salt of the earth'. He got me into watching Rovers in the mid 70s. He was a fan in the 50s 60s and 70s.

thank god lads no longer follow their dads down the pit. thank god they follow em down post office road.
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#5 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,152 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:12 PM

Sorry to hear what you say Andrew. Many happy memories of Bub and Ivy from the old RAFA club days. Please send Pat and my regards. My dad and grandad were miners too as was I for about 18 months. My dad took me to my first match in 1939. Under his overcoat. All the best Colin.

#6 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:58 PM

thank god lads no longer follow their dads down the pit. thank god they follow em down post office road.

I guess it's the same for most young boys that their fathers got them interested in Fev rovers OR. I was four when I watched my first Fev game and my dad took me to it and I've never looked back I've been ever since. The most memorable game in my first season was when we were beating saints at HT and they took ages to come out for the second half and our guys froze by the time they came out and saints ended up beating us. I only remember that game the most because I think I turned into a snowman it was that cold that night😄😄😄

#7 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,309 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:15 PM

Sorry to hear what you say Andrew. Many happy memories of Bub and Ivy from the old RAFA club days. Please send Pat and my regards. My dad and grandad were miners too as was I for about 18 months. My dad took me to my first match in 1939. Under his overcoat. All the best Colin.

Thanks Colin, god bless.

#8 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:10 PM

I guess it's the same for most young boys that their fathers got them interested in Fev rovers OR. I was four when I watched my first Fev game and my dad took me to it and I've never looked back I've been ever since. The most memorable game in my first season was when we were beating saints at HT and they took ages to come out for the second half and our guys froze by the time they came out and saints ended up beating us. I only remember that game the most because I think I turned into a snowman it was that cold that night

yes iremember that game.george mann ran riot in the second half
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#9 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,309 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

yes iremember that game.george mann ran riot in the second half

January 1991

#10 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:04 AM

January 1991

Wow I thought the game was in the 80s vausey? Or well it makes me feel a little younger that will do me 😄😄😄

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users