Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Cumbria Scholarship

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 quin13

quin13
  • Coach
  • 208 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:21 PM

Cumbria Scholarship Under 16's play their first game of the season tomorrow evening, against the North East.
There are a good number of Barrow based players in the current squad. Training has been top quality and the lads are raring to go.
The game is up at Wath Brow and is a 7:30pm KO. If anyone is up around that area tomorrow get yourself there to watch the top young players in Cumbria

Steve
Ste H

#2 barrowbob

barrowbob
  • Coach
  • 410 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

I this the equivalent to the youth academy holty used to brag on about barrow must have during the Johnson years?
Do barrow have any rights over any of the youngsters, especially the ones from the barrow area?

#3 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:32 AM

Basically, as I understand it Bob, it is a return to the old "Barrow Boys" though the teams (U14 & U16) will be known as "B&D Inter-Town U14 & U16".
It is run by the B&D (who are having a bucket collection to raise funds at the Whitehaven match). It has nothing directly to do with Barrow RFC though we will offer all the help we can (ie with bucket collections, facilities, etc).

Barrow RFC have no "rights" over any of these youngsters and I don't know whether any of the older kids are attached to SL clubs. At least one is attached to a professional soccer club and has been for some time!
I have watched a lot of these kids develop, particularly the U14s, and there is a fair bit of talent there - no doubt some will become professional players (hopefully with Barrow!!).

Not sure about the U16s but the U14s squad comprises 4 lads from Askam, 2 from Roose Pioneers, 9 from Barrow Island, 3 from Dalton and 4 from Ulverston. Included in this number are Jake Carter (son of former Barrow, Workington and Keighley player Darren), Rowan Smedley (son of former Barrow player Gary) and Joe Rea (son of former Workington player and Barrow Director Geoff).

Posted Image

#4 quin13

quin13
  • Coach
  • 208 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

Keith
It's nothing to do with the Barrow Boys set up.
It's the RFL scholarship program.The idea is to progress our youth through into pro rugby players.Be it Super League or Championship.Its great to see the progress the players are making and is a joy to coach.

The game is off tonight.Water logged pitch supposedly.

Steve
Ste H

#5 UnionMan

UnionMan
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:50 PM

waterlogged? there's been no rain for nearly 3 weeks

#6 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:36 AM

Keith
It's nothing to do with the Barrow Boys set up.
It's the RFL scholarship program.The idea is to progress our youth through into pro rugby players.Be it Super League or Championship.Its great to see the progress the players are making and is a joy to coach.

The game is off tonight.Water logged pitch supposedly.

Steve

Cheers for that Steve,
But I am told that the teams will be called Barrow & District Inter Town Teams - that to me is a clear return to the former "Barrow Boys" system where the kids play competitive matches rather than just get coached to death and play no games.
I don't think any of the lads in the U14s side have ever yet had the chance to play competitive matches against other regions and that is the ultimate way to develop them imo.

Either way there will be a bucket collection at the Haven match to fund the teams.

Posted Image

#7 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

This is the clarification I received from the B&D League committee re this subject.

The local Amateur League has recognised the fact that children on the Rugby League Pathway, need to be playing games and have therefore resurrected the Inter Town Teams, starting at Under 14 & Under 16 level.
To give the players opportunity to play at a higher level, a game against West Cumbria has been organised for June, with the possibility of another game in the pipeline.
The bucket collection on 17th March will be to raise funds to kit out the players and ensure they have the appropriate training equipment.

The local teams have nominated players to train under the areas most experienced coaches, Paul Crarey, Russ Walker & Darren Carter, who will be assisted by other local coaches. Anyone who is interested in helping out, is also welcome to attend the training sessions. Dates will be published ASAP.

Posted Image

#8 quin13

quin13
  • Coach
  • 208 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

This is the clarification I received from the B&D League committee re this subject.

The local Amateur League has recognised the fact that children on the Rugby League Pathway, need to be playing games and have therefore resurrected the Inter Town Teams, starting at Under 14 & Under 16 level.
To give the players opportunity to play at a higher level, a game against West Cumbria has been organised for June, with the possibility of another game in the pipeline.
The bucket collection on 17th March will be to raise funds to kit out the players and ensure they have the appropriate training equipment.

The local teams have nominated players to train under the areas most experienced coaches, Paul Crarey, Russ Walker & Darren Carter, who will be assisted by other local coaches. Anyone who is interested in helping out, is also welcome to attend the training sessions. Dates will be published ASAP.

Cheers for that Steve,
But I am told that the teams will be called Barrow & District Inter Town Teams - that to me is a clear return to the former "Barrow Boys" system where the kids play competitive matches rather than just get coached to death and play no games.
I don't think any of the lads in the U14s side have ever yet had the chance to play competitive matches against other regions and that is the ultimate way to develop them imo.

Either way there will be a bucket collection at the Haven match to fund the teams.

waterlogged? there's been no rain for nearly 3 weeks

It's a joke union man but watch brow were the ones who called it off.

Keith

The Barrow boys system is running as well.The scholarship which I coach on is the next step up so to speak from Barrow boys.
We've had the scholarship system in place for two years now so hopefully we will have some pros within the next year or two.
As far as I'm aware we have two of our scholarship games being played in Barrow later in the summer.So you will be able to see first hand the work we have been doing with the players.
Hope that clears things up.

Steve
Ste H

#9 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

Steve,
Yes there are matches being played at CP and from meetings I attend with Geoff Worrall and reps from Haven and Town I know of the good work being undertaken at all levels. Stu Wilky and Chris Chapman keep us well informed. We as a club are fully supportive of all they do.

Posted Image

#10 quin13

quin13
  • Coach
  • 208 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:55 PM

Steve,
Yes there are matches being played at CP and from meetings I attend with Geoff Worrall and reps from Haven and Town I know of the good work being undertaken at all levels. Stu Wilky and Chris Chapman keep us well informed. We as a club are fully supportive of all they do.

That's great to hear Keith.Really looking forward to our games at Craven Park.We play Castleford at the jungle or whatever it is now called on the 30th of this month.
I will keep people updated on results.

Steve
Ste H

#11 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,502 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

I'm treasurer of Barrow & South Lakes Touchdown and Service Area. I'm sorry that no message has been put on here of the collection during the Whitehaven match. The amount raised was £341.80 which I think is excellent. Can I thank all the lads that assisted with the collection and in particular the supervisors John Clegg & Shawn McPoland. Thanks also to everybody who donated money in the collecting boxes. Finally thanks to the BOD for giving us permission to hold the collection.

Posted Image

#12 doddj1

doddj1
  • Coach
  • 537 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:47 AM

Michael would like to say if it was not for the Ball Boys this amount would not have been raised i think the 16s should do the next collection as not 1 of the players turned up

#13 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,502 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:53 PM

Thanks for that Janet. I didn't realise that and I didn't know who the lads were. I hope some of them read these messages. I'll bring it up at the next meeting.

Posted Image

#14 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:40 PM

Michael would like to say if it was not for the Ball Boys this amount would not have been raised i think the 16s should do the next collection as not 1 of the players turned up

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users