TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Greatest Hooker

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

I 've dug my copy of Rugby League World out , October 2005 found in all good bookshops WHS, ect........the guy who put this Hunslet team together was Cliff Spracklen and not Harry Jepson , and it says he was brought up supporting both Hunslet and Bramley , and points out not Leeds.
A trustee of Hunslet Boys Club and says he's now a director of Bramley Buffaloes , (Oct 2005 to print).........

Our Choice............................................................Cliff's Choice
1 Kemble...............................................................1 Billy Langton
2 Muscroft..............................................................2 Alan Snowden
3Tate......................................................................3 Geoff Shelton
4 Irwin.....................................................................4 Alan Preece
5 Plange.................................................................5 John Griffiths
6 Mannson.............................................................6 Brian Gabbitas
7 KING....................................................................7 Graham KING
13 Wolford..............................................................13 Tony Dean

For the the younger fans to many old names in there ..........maybe

Edited by Blackbeard, 07 March 2013 - 01:32 PM.

#22 gabby

gabby
  • Coach
  • 770 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:32 PM

Graham King maybe but not as good as Webb. In my team, Webb would have to be No 9.
It is far better to remain silent and be thought a fool
than to open your mouth and prove that you are.

#23 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

One for King of Leon (Steve) here , Cliff mentions , at Hooker Bernard Prior , Phil Gibson , Graham King and says if he'd had a drink he would go for STAN MOYSER but sober he went for ...........................?

Edited by Blackbeard, 07 March 2013 - 04:14 PM.

#24 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:45 PM

Thought so, its the buns plays with the brain cells :blink:

Get back on your Stones Bitter B)

#25 Hawkeye

Hawkeye
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:48 PM

Get back on your Stones Bitter B)

Too busy looking in Dawn's shopping bag !
Hawkeye
Posted Image

#26 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:49 PM

Too busy looking in Dawn's shopping bag !

Nowt in there i've looked

#27 Penola

Penola
  • 610 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:30 PM

Tony Dean was a scrum half before Kingy wasn't he?

#28 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

Tony Dean was a scrum half before Kingy wasn't he?

He gives Brian Shaw a mention at loose , how he went from hero to zero when he signed for Leeds in 1961 for a record fee of £13,000 , and most of his career was at Leeds so he opted for Tony Dean who we signed from Cas and was at home at either 7 or 13......

#29 CoventryHawk

CoventryHawk
  • Players
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

I suppose the problem with this is that younger fans don't recall a lot of the candidates from say the 70's or early 80's. Sad to say I am old enough to remember them albeit that I was a kid when I first started to watch Hunslet in 73. My suggestion, again from the early Greyhound stadium days is Tony Handforth. Like Gibson he was a proper hooker and a pretty hard man. Anyone else rate him?

#30 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,164 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:30 AM

a good hooker you had who unfortunately went to leeds, Peter Dunn
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#31 The Mascot

The Mascot
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:57 AM

Dead easy for me greyhound stadium New hunslet - George standige hard as nails for those who don't know ask about the flood lit trophy incident :-)

Pre 1999 debarcle - Richard pach

Last 10 years not so easy - chappy and robbo are really only the real out and out hookers we've had. Lukey done a great job but never seen him as a panto villain that all hookers should be well that's how it used to be.

So am torn - so on playing ability/class above rest of modern game......... Then pach for me too.

Old school George though. Tbh would have liked to have played along side robbo or seen robbo in a hunslet side with some clout.

#32 The Mascot

The Mascot
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:01 PM

Yes we signed Tony dean from hull cracking player used to wear his socks rolled down - strange the things you remember. Ha can't believe Phil Tate at 3 - he was never the same after his injury back/neck I think.

And Tony handforths nick name was Tony tiger lol

Edited by The Mascot, 09 March 2013 - 12:03 PM.

#33 SPARTACUS

SPARTACUS
  • Coach
  • 925 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

George Standidge was an out and out prop. A good 'un as well.
Tony Handforth was a rwal hard nut at hooker. Ball winner supreme.
May the FORCE be with you.
Top Bombing - Ave it son.
ITS SPITTIN !!
Its not bloody TIDDLEYWINKS ya know !!

#34 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:33 PM

as spartacus saye george standidge was a prop not a hooker
Posted Image

#35 Castleford Hawk

Castleford Hawk
  • Coach
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

George will get a mention soon enough. We'll do the blindside prop next week.

I'm sure everyone's got a memory of George.

Hunslet: STILL the city's only club to win all competitions in one season.

#36 The Mascot

The Mascot
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

Ha I will get my coat lol see strange what you remember, if you was a young en cas I was 5 or 6 :) :lol: :lol:

#37 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,507 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:59 PM

Peter Smith of YEP is going to publish our forums Hunslet 17 in the paper and write a peice about it!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#38 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:24 AM

Cliff Spracklen No 9 was Roy Sampson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users