Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Does anyone else think....

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 679 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:58 AM

...that there seem to be fewer big players these days - especially forwards - capable of really destroying a defence? I am thinking of players in the Paul Anderson, Joe Vagana or Barrie McDermott mould who you always felt might bust a hole every time they got the ball.

The last one I can think of was Paleaeasina at his peak, but that was going back a bit now.

Is it because defences have got better, or teams are better matched physically with training? Has the four subs system evened things up? Or am I failing to see the current wrecking balls?

#2 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:15 AM

The Burgess twins still remain.

It's probably a fitness thing.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#3 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,848 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

...that there seem to be fewer big players these days - especially forwards - capable of really destroying a defence? I am thinking of players in the Paul Anderson, Joe Vagana or Barrie McDermott mould who you always felt might bust a hole every time they got the ball.

The last one I can think of was Paleaeasina at his peak, but that was going back a bit now.

Is it because defences have got better, or teams are better matched physically with training? Has the four subs system evened things up? Or am I failing to see the current wrecking balls?

Not sure, but possibly the sheer size across the field of that Bradford team meant that opponents were being battered in almost every tackle, so they tired earlier and the Bulls forwards would have found it easier to break through them.

Down under, Sam Thaiday fits the 'wrecking ball' description.

Daine Laurie showed promise at Wests Tigers a few years ago, being not just big and powerful but also quick, but he seems to have chucked away chance after chance. He's under Wayne Bennett at Newcastle now - if Wayne can't get his head in the right place, he's probably finished.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#4 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 390 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:25 PM

Are you talking about in England or worldwide? I know Sam Kasiano at the Dogs is the biggest forward in the history of first grade rugby league in Australia.

#5 High Peak Rhino

High Peak Rhino
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:51 PM

Kylie Leuluai?

#6 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,096 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:56 PM

Kylie Leuluai?

No.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#7 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 356 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:47 PM

The most obvious answer is Fuifui Moimoi. In 2009 he was as damaging as I've seen as far as breaking tackles go. Right now? Not so much.

Tony Williams puts players on their ###### just about every time he's got the ball. Even in Origin he was throwing players about like it was nothing.

Sam Rapira, when he's not struggling with injury, is a wrecking ball for the Warriors and hits the line as ferociously as anyone there is. You may remember against England in the 2008 RLWC he knocked James Graham about 10 metres backwards in one hit-up!

Tom Learoyd-Lahrs is a potential candidate. Very explosive, when he's on his game he's unstoppable. Just so happens he isn't usually. I might even have to take back the comment about Rapira hitting the line as ferociously as anyone else, big TLL might just edge him when he can be bothered to run hard.

Guys like Kasiano are big sure enough, but it's their ball playing ability that impresses. Kasiano doesn't necessarily hit the line with brute force and run over people, he tends to find contact and get the ball away.

There's a few pups coming through the NRL who might fit the mould and should at some point have a season or two of real brute, physical superiority over the opposition. One that comes to mind is Jason Taumalolo at the North Queensland Cowboys. Another would be Mose Masoe with the Panthers if he can get ###### s/*t together, right now he's only good for a big run or two because his fitness is atrocious. George Burgess if this mornings game is anything to go by could be a nightmare to contain.

The change on the whole is probably defence getting better and the interchange limiting the fatigue factor. There's still guys running about who have a Paleaeasina-like impact though. Tony Williams is probably the best there is when it comes to running over people.

#8 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 920 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:40 PM

Just a quick look at the Burgess boys, they get bigger the younger they are!

Luke Burgess, 26, 6'4, 17st 9lbs
Sam Burgess, 24, 6'5, 18st 4lbs
George Burgess, 20, 6'4, 18st 13lbs
Tom Burgess, 20, 6'5, 18st 13lbs

There is some beef in that Burgess sandwich. Now Luke has signed a 2 year deal I can see all 4 playing the same match in the next 24 months.

Sam Kasiano is only 4 lbs heavier than Tom at 6'5 and 19st 3lbs.

Edited by Harrigan, 07 March 2013 - 10:44 PM.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#9 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 920 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:52 PM

Also, the one people seem to have forgotten about over here... Eorl Crabtree. 6'6 and 18st 6lbs. He seems to fit the category of a "big guy" to me.

#10 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:27 AM

Ben matulino is a big bopper and is the most destructive forward in the game currently along with Sam burgess, damaging with ball in hand and in defence.

#11 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 681 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:45 AM

Tony Tonks
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#12 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:51 AM

There is some beef in that Burgess sandwich. Now Luke has signed a 2 year deal I can see all 4 playing the same match in the next 24 months.

You have to feel for their mother.

PS

James Tamou at the Cowboys is brutal.

Edited by getdownmonkeyman, 08 March 2013 - 07:55 AM.

#13 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 390 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:52 AM

Nah, Kasiano is listed anywhere between 133 and 139kg. Monster of a bloke.

#14 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 920 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:01 AM

Nah, Kasiano is listed anywhere between 133 and 139kg. Monster of a bloke.

I got his weight off the official Bulldogs site. He may have been that big a couple of years back but Dessie doesn't like fatties. Apparently Tom was pushing 130 when he went over too. Souths soon sorted that out.

#15 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:09 AM

Tony Williams puts players on their ###### just about every time he's got the ball. Even in Origin he was throwing players about like it was nothing.

He's not done it at the highest level, though, so we ought to reserve judgement.
People called Romans they go the house

#16 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 679 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:38 AM

Reads like they're all in the NRL.

I have to be honest and say I love the NRL but I don't get the chance to watch many games. I always get steamrollered by the wife and end up watching Downton Abbey or some such mush. She should be a bloody prop forward.

#17 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:40 AM

Tony Tonks

:D

#18 Marty Funkhouser

Marty Funkhouser
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

He's not done it at the highest level, though, so we ought to reserve judgement.

Did you not see England v Australia at Wembley..? If you mean Origin he has only played twice...

#19 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 356 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:27 AM

Also, the one people seem to have forgotten about over here... Eorl Crabtree. 6'6 and 18st 6lbs. He seems to fit the category of a "big guy" to me.

But he doesn't go through the line all that often. Someone mentioned Matulino, ditto for him. I'm a Warriors fan so get to see enough of Matulino, he's great because he makes metres for fun, can offload well enough and can tackle like nobody else... but it's not like he's bowling his way through the line every other carry.

Quite a few of the players mentioned here are just really good players, or really big guys. They don't reign down destruction like a Paleaeasina or Vagana. They don't have highlights reel charges every game I wouldn't say.

#20 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 356 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:31 AM

But he has. The claim that he hasn't done it at the highest level is one somebody made-up. When he played Origin, despite limited time and injury, he was causing chaos every time he had the ball. I cannot think of a person who's knocked people over every time he has the ball, in Origin no less.

He's not the greatest forward in the world by any means but as far as taking the ball to the line, knocking people out of the way and running straight through, I can't think of anyone better. He's a wrecking ball in every sense

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users