Does anyone else think....

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,123 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:42 PM

Did you not see England v Australia at Wembley..? If you mean Origin he has only played twice...

I was at Wembley. All I remember Williams doing was taking somebody's head off. Otherwise, he was reasonably powder puff.

But he has. The claim that he hasn't done it at the highest level is one somebody made-up. When he played Origin, despite limited time and injury, he was causing chaos every time he had the ball. I cannot think of a person who's knocked people over every time he has the ball, in Origin no less.

In 'Origin no less' indeed, but it's quite a step up from there to test match rugby. Perhaps he can do, we'll wait and see.
People called Romans they go the house

#22 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:50 AM

I thought Williams ran right over Chris Heighington of England in one match.

Edited by AndyCapp, 09 March 2013 - 09:05 AM.

#23 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:00 AM

Big Dave Taylor is 6ft 2in and 19st 3 lb and on his day can be a wrecking ball as well as fast with a step.

#24 faz'_nose

faz'_nose
  • Coach
  • 326 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:14 AM

George Burgess completed 6 tackle busts on Thursday.

#25 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,123 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

I thought Williams ran right over Chris Heighington of England in one match.

Fair point, I must've popped out for a wee.

#26 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:20 PM

I was at Wembley. All I remember Williams doing was taking somebody's head off. Otherwise, he was reasonably powder puff.

In 'Origin no less' indeed, but it's quite a step up from there to test match rugby. Perhaps he can do, we'll wait and see.

I disagree. Origin is a higher level than test match league for an Australian. Playing against England or NZ these last few years would be a walk in the park compared to playing against Queensland. The NSW attack is much poorer than the Kangaroos, and the Queensland defence is better than anything England or NZ were able to muster in the last tri-nations.

His efforts in 2012 Origin for that reason are more impressive.

#27 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,522 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

I disagree. Origin is a higher level than test match league for an Australian. Playing against England or NZ these last few years would be a walk in the park compared to playing against Queensland. The NSW attack is much poorer than the Kangaroos, and the Queensland defence is better than anything England or NZ were able to muster in the last tri-nations.

Bite easily don't you?
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#28 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

Bite easily don't you?

I only signed up to the forum the other day. My troll-detection equipment is flaky for now :wub:

#29 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,123 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:38 PM

I forgot that Queensland won the World Cup.

#30 ChrisGS

ChrisGS
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

I forgot that Queensland won the World Cup.

The last world cup was in 2008... Are you one of those deluded types who thinks a strong international competition will make up for the fact the SL is mediocre?

Sadly for you there isn't a strong international competition, and as such, Tony Williams running roughshod over Queensland demonstrates his talents a lot more than dominating subpar, subgames against the likes of England and NZ.

Sorry to be the one to break it to you, but, Origin is of a considerably higher intensity and difficulty than any of the recent Kangaroos games against England or New Zealand.

I know that may upset you but facts are facts. If you seriously think that it's more of a test for T-Rex playing for the Kangaroos against England than it is playing for NSW against Queensland then you're obviously short of a few billion braincells. Again, sorry.

#31 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:30 PM

...that there seem to be fewer big players these days - especially forwards - capable of really destroying a defence? I am thinking of players in the Paul Anderson, Joe Vagana or Barrie McDermott mould who you always felt might bust a hole every time they got the ball.

The last one I can think of was Paleaeasina at his peak, but that was going back a bit now.

Is it because defences have got better, or teams are better matched physically with training? Has the four subs system evened things up? Or am I failing to see the current wrecking balls?

What about Gaz Hock? Maybe not the physique of a wrecking ball, but almost unplayable and a tackle bust machine when he is on his game and not losing his head.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users