Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Salford Roughyeds

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 higgy

higgy
  • 337 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:48 PM

Am I misreading things in the Oldham Chronicle tonight when it states that our illustrious coach cannot name his team, but more will be known after he as spoken to the Salford caretaker coach Alan Hunte tonight.

Who's picking the bl----y team Alan Hunte, and what do we want Salford stiffs for anyway, Hedley Jackson could probably provide us with better.

We are teamed up with a super league team who couldn't even give London Broncos a game so what use are their cast offs to us.

Oldham signed players for an OLDHAM TEAM.

#2 rugbyman1

rugbyman1
  • Coach
  • 207 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:16 PM

Got to agree higgy.Are we seriously expecting lads who slog through the winter months turn up week in week out and are BETTER than the kids from Salford to step aside so Salford can develop their reserves who have no aliegence to Oldham and go hiding when the going gets tough.And one other very small thing, OUR lads HAVE to pay in to the clubs weekly lottery - are the Salford lads..........I doubt it somehow.

We saw the fruits of a dedicated TEAM first time v Rochdale, we are now busy dismantling this. Don't worry though Salford will be ok.

Just a thought. Ian Talbot, Rochdale coach is employed by saints? Is Naylor the same we may ask.

We might find signings next season hard to come by
One for all and all for the one

#3 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

Might find fans this season hard to come by if this turns out to be yet another damp squib.

#4 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:18 PM

i hate to say i told you so.........but i told you so...........

WE ARE A FEEDER TEAM!!!!!!

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#5 ultimate roughyed

ultimate roughyed
  • Coach
  • 186 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:00 PM

I find this whole situation ridiculous as Salford are clearly dictating who is getting a run out from their sub standard squad on a weekly basis.THIS WILL DESTROY TEAM MORALE. If it isn't Salford dictating then Naylor needs his head seeing to if he thinks chopping and changing every week is going to build a strong team ethic who want to work hard for each other. I am sure it is the former though and the terms of the 'Feeder Club' arrangement

#6 ultimate roughyed

ultimate roughyed
  • Coach
  • 186 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

.....will mean he hasn't got a choice. It wouldn't surprise me if his wages were paid by Salford as well.

#7 allroughyed

allroughyed
  • Coach
  • 947 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:06 PM

They ain't mate according to him. All paid for by CH

GIVE US A TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#8 ultimate roughyed

ultimate roughyed
  • Coach
  • 186 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:29 PM

I could understand it if we had an injury crisis but we've got 20 players fighting for a spot in the 17 to play against Rochdale and that excludes the infamous 4 brought in at late notice last week from Salford. 7 of the squad didn't play last week either so if they don't all get a run out this week in favour of DR players then they might as well not bother putting the effort into training.

Edited by ultimate roughyed, 07 March 2013 - 10:31 PM.

#9 TOSH1960

TOSH1960
  • Coach
  • 355 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:51 PM

Where do you get your fanciful ideas from. Yes we are a club signed up to dual registration and of course the coaches need to speak to see who is available. That doesn't automatically mean the Roughyeds coach has to take who is offered. Scott Naylor is paid by Oldham to do a job and off what I have seen at training throughout the last 16 or so weeks he, Spanner and team have done a brilliant job.
But no one and I repeat no one has yet come to terms with Dual Registration because last week was the first game under the new situation.
Who knew that by the end of last weekend Salfords coach would be sacked? never mind what decent players would be available to Oldham. I was as gutted as anyone after driving down to Wrexham last Sunday but please give the lads a break. They have their reputations and the club at heart and I don't see Scott (Nobby) or Spanner letting anyone down if they can help it.

#10 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:04 PM

Then why were the four Salford lads put into the final 17 after only one training session? Where they better than the four Oldham lads who were left out? Or does the agreement state the have to go in????

#11 ultimate roughyed

ultimate roughyed
  • Coach
  • 186 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:38 PM

Only time will tell how this pans out but week by week DR is not the way forward in my opinion and will devalue the quality of the product on offer. Long term loans YES but lets nip this in the bud now as it will prove to be very divisive.

#12 Steve the Roughyed

Steve the Roughyed
  • Coach
  • 327 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:49 AM

Not only divisive but terminal. I was looking forward to this season after the disastrous Benson era. I only went to two games all season last year, 1 away, 1 at home and I was really looking forward to the new season with the change of coach and the positive vibes coming from the club but putting all four of the Salford cast offs straight into the squad last week spoke volumes. I will not be there on Sunday and that means that my 6 year old son will not be either. My older children (daughters) were fanatical supporters and although both will be in town neither of them are likely to be there either. Why? Well at least three things I could mention.

1. Pretty meaningless competition

2. VERY uninviting field (that some dare call a stadium) that the game is being played on.

3. No real interest in Salford v Saints

Sorry to be the pessimist after 45 years or so watching the Roughyeds but I really do think the (semi) professional game outside SL is in terminal decline and I don't really have much enthusiasm for watching a slow death.

#13 ruffyed

ruffyed
  • Coach
  • 120 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:10 AM

Sounds as if the honeymoon period for Scott Naylor is well and truly over .I was as disappointed as anybody at the performance against Cru and the surprise inclusion of the 4 DR players .

I have no idea what the detail is regarding the link-up with Salford .The general view seems to be that Salford will be able to dictate team selection regarding DR players but maybe Scott Naylors one and only priority for the season is to get promotion and all his efforts are being channelled in that direction .

Its such a short season that it may not be possible to recover from a poor start so maybe he is prepared to sacrifice the Trains cup matches to look at as many options as possible , including the DR players which might be at his disposal , so that come the start of the league campaign he has a fit and healthy squad to choose from and he knows his best starting 17.

The reality is we simply don't know at the moment but it will be interesting to see how the Oldham players react. If there is any unrest in the camp we can draw our own conclusions ...however if not ....

#14 TOSH1960

TOSH1960
  • Coach
  • 355 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:01 AM

Then why were the four Salford lads put into the final 17 after only one training session? Where they better than the four Oldham lads who were left out? Or does the agreement state the have to go in????

I am not privvy to the agreement but the 4 DR trained Thursday & Saturday and I am not persoally sure they were better than the lads left out but i'd rather find out in the trainspotters cup than in the league.

#15 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:13 AM

Ruffyed, but even if scott and spanner win this league by a landslide, there is NO WAY Whitebank is going to be acceptable in its current state to allow ORLFC to step up whilst still based there. It is tantamount to the fans being "systematically duped" if anyone involved in the running of this club is trumpeting an aim of automatic promotion unless there is an alternate venue in the pipeline.
The problem at this club remains as unfathomable and inscrutible as ever.

My friend and faithful fan Geoff must be tearing his hair out....

As for the Rochdale game a quiz ....
Quis confluxus hodie Academicorum? E longinquo convenerunt, Protinusque successerunt... Its a pertinent question at Oldham Rugby League these days!

#16 TOSH1960

TOSH1960
  • Coach
  • 355 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:19 AM

It looks like no DR players this week. http://www.roughyeds...ls-local-pride/

#17 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:41 AM

It looks like no DR players this week. http://www.roughyeds...ls-local-pride/

now that's good news. Let's hope we only use DR players when we need them and not when Salford say so.

#18 ruffyed

ruffyed
  • Coach
  • 120 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

You may be right about the ground Eclecticsheep .. I simply don't know whether there there is any possibility of the ground being brought up to minimum standards in time should we get promotion . Maybe contingency plans are already in place to groundshare elsewhere temporarily should the need arise ...again I simply don't know and I suspect neither do you .

What I do know is I pay my money to watch the product on the pitch .. I don't spend the best part of 2 hours banging on about the lack of faciiities at Whitebank any more than I admire my surroundings in some empty state of the art stadium . Thats not to say that I am not bothered about Whitebank but if you don't get the performance right on the pitch then Whitebank will always be empty no matter what the facilities are like ...and something I do know for sure is we will not get promotion if we do not earn it first on the pitch.

As for your quiz question it may well be pertinent to you but maybe it would be more appropriate on University Challenge than this fans forum .

#19 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

Why has such a multitude Come here during winter break? Despite distance, despite weather, They have gathered here together For the game of Rugby Leagues sake! Of course you are 100 per cent right ruffyed, the performance on the pitch has just got to be right. Its the one thing that will ease the challenge of the unnerving weather forecast for this Sunday. There is a bigger picture though! I think its high time it was addressed!

#20 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:13 PM

It's an age old question that has defied men since time immemorial. Which came first the performance or the stadium? Actually no it isn't. The answer is the performance. Once that's sorted then people will come. As they come it is then essential to sort out the ground.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users