RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

skolars v hemel sun 10th 3 p.m

first derby since 1930s?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 latchford albion

latchford albion
  • Coach
  • 238 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:45 PM

The term 'derby' is used to refer to the big event, originating from the Epsom Derby. Typically, this would be a local derby as Everton's big game would be against Liverpool and Man City's would be against Manchester United. However, the game against the main rival would be the better definition.

http://en.wikipedia....al_derby#Origin

Please, put this on a post-it note on your computer screen, particularly if you are from Hull or Lobbygobbler.

I'm not too sure about the wikipedia entry. It was my impression that the first Derby match in any sport was between Wigan and St Helens as the Earl of Derby's estate covered both towns. So both the horse race and the local match are independently named from the same source.

#22 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 8,988 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:13 PM

I'm not too sure about the wikipedia entry. It was my impression that the first Derby match in any sport was between Wigan and St Helens as the Earl of Derby's estate covered both towns. So both the horse race and the local match are independently named from the same source.

That would have had to have been pre-1840's and become well known. If you have a good source for that though, you should update the article.

#23 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 5,908 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:00 PM

That would have had to have been pre-1840's and become well known. If you have a good source for that though, you should update the article.

Ive heard that a few times before that the Saints and Wigan game is the only event that lord Derby lent the family name to obviously apart from the horse race.
Last time they played in the CC it was also mentioned by Claire Balding. No real proof but it's certainly been built up over the years to quite a strong rumour

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users