TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

skolars v hemel sun 10th 3 p.m

first derby since 1930s?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 latchford albion

latchford albion
  • Coach
  • 382 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:45 PM

The term 'derby' is used to refer to the big event, originating from the Epsom Derby. Typically, this would be a local derby as Everton's big game would be against Liverpool and Man City's would be against Manchester United. However, the game against the main rival would be the better definition.

http://en.wikipedia....al_derby#Origin

Please, put this on a post-it note on your computer screen, particularly if you are from Hull or Lobbygobbler.

I'm not too sure about the wikipedia entry. It was my impression that the first Derby match in any sport was between Wigan and St Helens as the Earl of Derby's estate covered both towns. So both the horse race and the local match are independently named from the same source.

#22 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,616 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:13 PM

I'm not too sure about the wikipedia entry. It was my impression that the first Derby match in any sport was between Wigan and St Helens as the Earl of Derby's estate covered both towns. So both the horse race and the local match are independently named from the same source.

That would have had to have been pre-1840's and become well known. If you have a good source for that though, you should update the article.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#23 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:00 PM

That would have had to have been pre-1840's and become well known. If you have a good source for that though, you should update the article.

Ive heard that a few times before that the Saints and Wigan game is the only event that lord Derby lent the family name to obviously apart from the horse race.
Last time they played in the CC it was also mentioned by Claire Balding. No real proof but it's certainly been built up over the years to quite a strong rumour

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users