Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

South Africa Rugby League News (Merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:56 PM

Hopefully SASCOC won't get them banned from entering the country

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#22 Pyjamarama

Pyjamarama
  • Players
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:32 PM

Judging by the news entry for 22 May 2013 on the South Africa Rugby League website, I'm not so sure that it is ignorance rather than prejudice.

SASCOC have now apparently sent out a communication to all the regional sporting federations in South Africa this week stating that none of them are allowed to give membership to the regional Rugby League Federations.

The SARL have stated that they and the RLIF have approached the Commonwealth Games Federation with a request that the Commonwealth Games Federation explore the option of imposing sanctions against South Africa because of the discriminatory actions of SASCOC. The matter is also being brought before the Council for Arbitration in Sport in Lausanne, Switzerland.

I decided to email SASCOC @ admin@sascoc.co.za in February to ask them to explain their argument that rugby league isn't a sport. I've since sent 2 reminders & unsurprisingly I haven't received a reply. I know me emailing them is going to make sweet FA. difference, but it made me feel better. 

#23 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:21 PM

Hopefully SASCOC won't get them banned from entering the country

You can never be certain.

#24 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:49 AM

Good for you Pyj and good on the RL authorities for not just rolling over on this one.

rldfsignature.jpg

#25 harry hopworthy

harry hopworthy
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:06 AM

THE ATTITUDE OF SASCOC IS AN ABSOLUTE DISGRACE.THEY SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES.BUT THE FACT IS THAT WHATEVER THEY TRY AND DO THEY HAVE NO CHANCE AT ALL OF STOPPING THE GROWTH OF RUGBY LEAGUE. 

I'M CONVINCED THAT THE SOUTH AFRICANS WILL BECOME A REAL POWER IN RUGBY LEAGUE AT LAST.   I'M REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING HOW THEY DO AT THE STUDENT WORLD CUP NEXT MONTH.RUSSIA  AS WELL.

IT'S IRONIC THAT THE TWO COUNTRIES THAT DON'T SEEM TO RECOGNIZE RUGBY LEAGUE AT THE MOMENT ARE BOTH SENDING THEIR STUDENT SIDES TO THE WORLD CUP.NAMELY SOUTH AFRICA AND RUSSIA.

I'M A COMMITED FAN OF THE INTERNATIONAL GAME AND I LOVE TO SEE NATION PLAY  AGAINST NATION. LONG LIVE TEST MATCH RUGBY LEAGUE.

#26 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,854 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:50 AM

Is it October already? ;)

Edited by Futtocks, 11 June 2013 - 08:50 AM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#27 harry hopworthy

harry hopworthy
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:46 PM

NO,IT'S NOT OCTOBER YET,BUT TEST MATCH RUGBY LEAGUE CAN BE PLAYED AT ANY TIME.ANY SPORT WORTH IT'S SALT SHOULD HAVE THE NATIONAL SIDE AS IT'S MOST IMPORTANT PART. A STRONG GRASS-ROOTS SYSTEM PROVIDES A STRONG FOUNDATION FOR ANY GAME:RUGBY LEAGUE,RUGBY UNION OR FOOTBALL. BUT THEY ALL SHOULD HAVE THE NATIONAL TEAM UP THERE AT THE VERY TOP OF THE PYRAMID TO ASPIRE TO.

#28 harry hopworthy

harry hopworthy
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:53 PM

WELL DONE THE WESTERN CAPE IN THEIR RECOGNITION OF RUGBY LEAGUE BEING A SEPARATE SPORT FROM RUGBY UNION.,  AND FULLY ENTITLED TO HAVE IT'S OWN GOVERNING BODY.    GAUTENG  HAVE ALSO GIVEN THEIR BLESSING TO THE GAME.  

SASCOC  WILL HAVE TO COME TO SEE REASON EVENTUALLY.  THEIR POSITION AT THE MOMENT IS LAUGHABLE AND THEY ARE JUST MAKING THEMSELVES LOOK  STUPID.

#29 harry hopworthy

harry hopworthy
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:12 PM

GOOD FOR YOU GAUTENG IN YOUR RECOGNITION OF RUGBY LEAGUE BEING A TOTALLY SEPARATE GAME FROM RUGBY UNION AND PERFECTLY ENTITLED TO HAVE IT'S OWN GOVERNING BODY.

SASCOC WON'T BE ABLE TO KEEP UP THIS RIDICULOUS FARCE GOING INDEFINITELY.

#30 yanto

yanto
  • Coach
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:21 AM

NOT over yet !!!!

From the SA RL website .....

20 May 2013 
To: The Presidents 
 SASCOC Sports Confederations 
Dear President 
RE: South African Rugby League 

It has come to our attention through the media that the Gauteng Sports Confederation 
and the Western Cape Sports Council who in turn is a member of the Western Cape 
Sports Confederation, have allegedly indicated that they have accepted membership of 
an organisation known as the South African Rugby League, and as such have 
purportedly granted permission to this organisation to participate as members within the 
organisation. 

Please note that should this information be correct, same is totally contrary to 
SASCOC’s Memorandum and Articles and cannot in any form, be implemented. 

The membership are advised that in terms of the existing Articles of Association, Article 
6.1.7 specifically provides that SASCOC shall not recognise more than one national 
Sports Federation for each Sport governed by an International Federation. 

The member currently recognised by SASCOC is the South African Rugby Union 
(SARU).

As such, all applications relating to the sport are to be directed to the 
organisation’s National Sports Federation. 
Accordingly, members are to confirm that they have taken note of the provisions 
contained in SASCOC’s Articles of Association, will immediately rectify any purported 
violation. 

Crazy ... seems someone has not done their home work and found that RL has its own International Federation.

#31 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:25 AM

NOT over yet !!!!
From the SA RL website .....

20 May 2013
To: The Presidents
SASCOC Sports Confederations
Dear President
RE: South African Rugby League

It has come to our attention through the media that the Gauteng Sports Confederation
and the Western Cape Sports Council who in turn is a member of the Western Cape
Sports Confederation, have allegedly indicated that they have accepted membership of
an organisation known as the South African Rugby League, and as such have
purportedly granted permission to this organisation to participate as members within the
organisation.

Please note that should this information be correct, same is totally contrary to
SASCOC’s Memorandum and Articles and cannot in any form, be implemented.

The membership are advised that in terms of the existing Articles of Association, Article
6.1.7 specifically provides that SASCOC shall not recognise more than one national
Sports Federation for each Sport governed by an International Federation.

The member currently recognised by SASCOC is the South African Rugby Union
(SARU).

As such, all applications relating to the sport are to be directed to the
organisation’s National Sports Federation.
Accordingly, members are to confirm that they have taken note of the provisions
contained in SASCOC’s Articles of Association, will immediately rectify any purported
violation.

Crazy ... seems someone has not done their home work and found that RL has its own International Federation.

They've done there homework it looks to me like they know exactly what they are doing.

#32 yanto

yanto
  • Coach
  • 2,059 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:49 AM

They've done there homework it looks to me like they know exactly what they are doing.

;)

The SARU have also informed the SASCOC that they are different sports so why this stance ?

Dear Sirs
South African Rugby League (SARL) SASCOC Registration
This is to confirm that the South African Rugby League (SARL) cannot become a 
member of the South African Rugby Union (SARU), or register as an affiliated member 
of SARU as they fall under a completely different sporting code.

#33 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:22 AM

This is the man responsible.. Tubby Reddy.

http://www.tubbyreddy.com/

contact details on the website.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#34 harry hopworthy

harry hopworthy
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:26 PM

NO , THEY  CERTAINLY  DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING,AND THEY HAVEN'T DONE A STROKE OF HOMEWORK,BECAUSE IF THEY HAD,THEY'D DISCOVER THAT RUGBY LEAGUE IS A TOTALLY DIFFERENT SPORT FROM RUGBY UNION AND QUITE ENTITLED TO HAVE IT'S OWN GOVERNING BODY!!

#35 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 409 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:39 PM

NO , THEY  CERTAINLY  DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING,AND THEY HAVEN'T DONE A STROKE OF HOMEWORK,BECAUSE IF THEY HAD,THEY'D DISCOVER THAT RUGBY LEAGUE IS A TOTALLY DIFFERENT SPORT FROM RUGBY UNION AND QUITE ENTITLED TO HAVE IT'S OWN GOVERNING BODY!!

I'm pretty sure they are fully aware of this. I'm also pretty sure that what Tubby is doing is illegal and extremely unprofessional, hopefully this is pursued in court and he is removed from his position within SASCOC.

#36 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,854 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:40 AM

I'm pretty sure they are fully aware of this. I'm also pretty sure that what Tubby is doing is illegal and extremely unprofessional, hopefully this is pursued in court and he is removed from his position within SASCOC.

Oh, come on! Since when does illegal discrimination against Rugby League ever lead to punishment, apology or even acknowledgement?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#37 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:15 AM

NO , THEY CERTAINLY DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING,AND THEY HAVEN'T DONE A STROKE OF HOMEWORK,BECAUSE IF THEY HAD,THEY'D DISCOVER THAT RUGBY LEAGUE IS A TOTALLY DIFFERENT SPORT FROM RUGBY UNION AND QUITE ENTITLED TO HAVE IT'S OWN GOVERNING BODY!!

This is what RU governing bodies do around the world when RL makes an impression. The first port of call is always to get the local sports council to not recognise RL as an independant sport. This puts the blocks on in two ways by preventing RL from getting any funding and as a club or a player you wouldn't be able to get any insurance.

#38 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:16 AM

This is what RU governing bodies do around the world when RL makes an impression. The first port of call is always to get the local sports council to not recognise RL as an independant sport. This puts the blocks on in two ways by preventing RL from getting any funding and as a club or a player you wouldn't be able to get any insurance.

However, SARU have come out in support of SARL saying that they are a completely different sport

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

#39 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:29 AM

However, SARU have come out in support of SARL saying that they are a completely different sport

Hopefully that will speed the recognition up

#40 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:35 PM

Hopefully that will speed the recognition up

They said it a while ago. It didn't help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users