Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Squirrels

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:16 AM

It's getting to spring again and the squirrels are at it again in the gutters getting their nesting materials and being a downright nuisance with their squirrelling away reverberating through the house.

I had to have the Sky engineer out at the weekend to replace cables that the squirrels had decided would be tasty treats. Pity it wasn't higher ampage going through there.

I'm normally an animal lover and very tolerant of squirrels but it's getting to the point where squirrel-rage is beginning to win

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#2 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:32 AM

It is them pesky, oversized, Yank grey ones and not our native reds I presume you are talking about.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#3 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:33 AM

It is them pesky, oversized, Yank grey ones and not our native reds I presume you are talking about.

Unfortunately, that's the only sort we get in deepest Suffolk.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#4 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:34 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing what squirrel tasted like.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#5 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:37 AM

I am very fortunate to live in a town with one of the last remaining colonies of reds.Though the ###### greys infected them with squirrelpox a couple of years back and almost wiped them out. But numbers are recovering now.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#6 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:05 AM

It's a bit like horse, apparently.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#7 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,774 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:20 AM

Never let it be said that the BBC's recipe website isn't comprehensive.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#8 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,314 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

or tasting what squirrel looked like? :)

Actually, there's a squirrel shop in Suffolk

Edited by JohnM, 08 March 2013 - 11:23 AM.

#9 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:33 AM

Red Squirrels have to be one of the most attractive species of animal on the planet. That they are being replaced by the grey variety has to be seen as a flaw in the process of evolution by natural selection!

At work the other week I was delivering in the area around Gleneagles. In one 'street' (often in the news for being one of the most expensive in Scotland) the place was overrun with red squirrels, the style of gardens - massive with mature trees and plenty of undergrowth - obviously being their type of habitat. Although early in the year, the exceptionally mild weather had turned them all a bit frisky. One male chased the object of his desire diagonally up a pine tree, that is until she did a nifty change of direction and the spiral pursuit continued downwards.

The problem I have with them is that they take incredible risks on the road. You'd think their endangered status would make them cautious, but no.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#10 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:03 PM

I live on a 1930's estate where all the windows are over 75 years old and have lead around them. We're currently trying to get them replaced but it's proving tricky getting everyone to commit to doing it, especially when there's one guy going round claiming the damage to the windows is not down to them being knackered but because the squirrels are eating the lead. He's even asked if he can bring an air rifle onto the estate to shoot them!
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#11 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:39 PM

I live on a 1930's estate where all the windows are over 75 years old and have lead around them. We're currently trying to get them replaced but it's proving tricky getting everyone to commit to doing it, especially when there's one guy going round claiming the damage to the windows is not down to them being knackered but because the squirrels are eating the lead. He's even asked if he can bring an air rifle onto the estate to shoot them!

When i lived at home in Leeds the grays used to eat the putty in the window frames much to my dads annoyance.
I think they actually know they look cute to a lot of people and trade on it. Was in the London parks at the weekend and everyone was feeding them despite the notices.
Simply tree rats in my opinion.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#12 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:45 PM

There were a few in Golden Acre Park who weren't timid at all, running around the people and almost being fed out of hand.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#13 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,314 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

like this?

Posted Image

#14 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

They are a pest , shot hundreds of them , its got a taste of rabbit and there one of the hardest things to skin , but the younger squirrels are better the older one's meats a bit toughter........................... The red claw crayfish and mink another daft idea to bring from the states

#15 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

A bit like swan,if I recall correctly. :)

#16 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

I get lots of grey ones in my garden and they are greedy little sods. Everything that gets put out for the birds (even in 'impossible to reach' places) gets pinched by the little b'stards. Pity my cat is so lazy else she might chase them.

#17 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,069 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:31 PM

I get lots of grey ones in my garden and they are greedy little sods. Everything that gets put out for the birds (even in 'impossible to reach' places) gets pinched by the little b'stards. Pity my cat is so lazy else she might chase them.

We went away one weekend, left Saturday morning, came back Sunday afternoon and left a big bowl of dry food down for the cat.
When we got home there was an empty food bowl and a squirrel's head on the doormat, the cat gave us a look as if to say "next time it's getting left in your bed"
God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#18 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:38 PM

We went away one weekend, left Saturday morning, came back Sunday afternoon and left a big bowl of dry food down for the cat.
When we got home there was an empty food bowl and a squirrel's head on the doormat, the cat gave us a look as if to say "next time it's getting left in your bed"

*makes note to not tangle with Shadows' cat*

#19 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,774 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

*makes note to not tangle with Shadows' cat*

Posted Image

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#20 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:42 PM

:D