Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Squirrels

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,570 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:42 PM

I have lived in my house for twenty years and for most of them had a pair of woodpigeons / their decendants nest and breed a single chick in a cherry tree in my front garden. During this time, I never saw a squirrel.

For the pastthree years we've got at least one squirrel in the trees on the street and the pieons stll come to the tree but are unwilling to build a nest.

Unfortunately, my next-door neighbour's wife is a tree-hugger, so I can't get my mate to shoot the squirrel (or the pesky crows and magpies that kill all the little birds on the street).

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#22 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

Lots of grey squirrels in the woods behind my house. The cats are becoming partial to a bit of squirrel :D
Fides invicta triumphat

#23 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,862 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

So are the red ones less of a nuisance or is just that people think they look nicer?
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#24 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,451 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

Less of a nuisance. But that is probably because they are rarer, smaller and shyer.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#25 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,632 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

not black then?

#26 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:28 PM

Less of a nuisance. But that is probably because they are rarer, smaller and shyer.

And less adapted to urban and suburban settings.

#27 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

They don't like chilli powder but it has no affect on birds. Put it on the bird food sit back and enjoy. We feed most of the birds in cages to stop squirrels.

#28 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:35 PM

not black then?

Saw a black squirrel in Letchworth, not that uncommon there.
Fides invicta triumphat

#29 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,675 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:42 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing what squirrel tasted like.

Go to Tesco's
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#30 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:47 PM

Saw a black squirrel in Letchworth, not that uncommon there.

Black and Red squirrels are believed to be the same..........Like Leopard and Black Panthers

#31 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:13 PM

Red Squirrels have to be one of the most attractive species of animal on the planet. That they are being replaced by the grey variety has to be seen as a flaw in the process of evolution by natural selection!

At work the other week I was delivering in the area around Gleneagles. In one 'street' (often in the news for being one of the most expensive in Scotland) the place was overrun with red squirrels, the style of gardens - massive with mature trees and plenty of undergrowth - obviously being their type of habitat. Although early in the year, the exceptionally mild weather had turned them all a bit frisky. One male chased the object of his desire diagonally up a pine tree, that is until she did a nifty change of direction and the spiral pursuit continued downwards.

The problem I have with them is that they take incredible risks on the road. You'd think their endangered status would make them cautious, but no.

Pheasants don't seem to have much road sense, either and forget that they can fly. In my neck of the woods, moles are a constant problem in my garden, especially when venturing in the lawn. I once decided to dig a hole with a small fork to lay a trap but came up with a mole on the end.

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#32 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,655 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

Worked at some bloke's house once. He had a nice ornate wooden bird table in his garden. We turned up one morning and his garden was covered with thousands of wooden splinters. Seems he'd spotted a grey squirrel on his bird table and got his shotgun out.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#33 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,127 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

you probably have done
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#34 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:35 PM

There is an Albino Squirrel in the top of Alexandra Park in Hastings.
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#35 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

Nutty.

It's not that you need to worry about, it's Hungarian "Beef", I just hope Hollands know where they are getting their meat from.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21900728
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#36 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,921 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:32 AM

When i lived at home in Leeds the grays used to eat the putty in the window frames much to my dads annoyance.
I think they actually know they look cute to a lot of people and trade on it. Was in the London parks at the weekend and everyone was feeding them despite the notices.
Simply tree rats in my opinion.

Posted Image

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#37 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,655 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:52 AM

Someone here with flying squirrels in their garden.... B)

http://www.liveleak....=fe2_1173025591

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#38 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,921 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:35 AM

Squirrels are rats with a better PR agent.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#39 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

Someone here with flying squirrels in their garden.... B)

http://www.liveleak....=fe2_1173025591

Still laughing now Class :lol: :lol: :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users