Club news release

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:53 AM

Centurions Chief Executive Trevor Barton MBE speaks on receiving a cheque for £15,000 on behalf of the club at last night's LISA meeting.

"Last night I attended the regular LISA meeting and discussed with all present (and what a great turn out) the contents of the Chairman’s financial statement that had been released that afternoon.

"There was a lively discussion, but at the end of it Keith, the Chairman and Linda, our hardworking Secretary presented to the club through me, a cheque for £15,000 which in effect cleared out their reserves.

"If you want to join LISA and help them rebuild, visit www.leigh-isa.org.uk or for a one off payment you can contact Linda on 07799 885590.

On behalf of the Club and the Board I received many words of support and encouragement and I can only tell you that it goes a long way in adding to the resolve to see this through.

"As Rob Parker, who kindly gave his time commented, `There is a lot of passion from the people in this room and our supporters in general,' and on behalf of the players I am really humbled by your fantastic support. Hopefully the crowd numbers will swell and I can assure you we will do our best going forward.

"It was also very encouraging that within 1 hour of the Chairman’s financial statement being released Michael Norris of Rivertime Corporate Finance Ltd pledged £2,000 which was accompanied by some very encouraging words. This morning one of the LISA members present last night dropped in a cheque for £100, for which we are truly grateful.

"We are on our way to our target of £40,000 and I will keep you informed of progress.

"Thank you for your marvellous support so far."

Leigh Centurions media dept.

Edited by Honor James, 08 March 2013 - 11:01 AM.

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:37 PM

Centurions Chief Executive Trevor Barton MBE speaks on receiving a cheque for £15,000 on behalf of the club at last night's LISA meeting.

"Last night I attended the regular LISA meeting and discussed with all present (and what a great turn out) the contents of the Chairman’s financial statement that had been released that afternoon.

"There was a lively discussion, but at the end of it Keith, the Chairman and Linda, our hardworking Secretary presented to the club through me, a cheque for £15,000 which in effect cleared out their reserves.

"If you want to join LISA and help them rebuild, visit www.leigh-isa.org.uk or for a one off payment you can contact Linda on 07799 885590.

On behalf of the Club and the Board I received many words of support and encouragement and I can only tell you that it goes a long way in adding to the resolve to see this through.

"As Rob Parker, who kindly gave his time commented, `There is a lot of passion from the people in this room and our supporters in general,' and on behalf of the players I am really humbled by your fantastic support. Hopefully the crowd numbers will swell and I can assure you we will do our best going forward.

"It was also very encouraging that within 1 hour of the Chairman’s financial statement being released Michael Norris of Rivertime Corporate Finance Ltd pledged £2,000 which was accompanied by some very encouraging words. This morning one of the LISA members present last night dropped in a cheque for £100, for which we are truly grateful.

"We are on our way to our target of £40,000 and I will keep you informed of progress.

"Thank you for your marvellous support so far."

Leigh Centurions media dept.

That's all positve and great news.

I couldn't imagine any such thing taking place were Leigh to link up with Wigan as their A team. This type of thing is what constitues a vibrant league being worth winning in it's own right, not some group of SL castoffs and wannabees masquerading as a championship club with no loyalty or committment.

#3 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,006 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

I couldn't imagine any such thing taking place were Leigh to link up with Wigan as their A team. This type of thing is what constitues a vibrant league being worth winning in it's own right, not some group of SL castoffs and wannabees masquerading as a championship club with no loyalty or committment.

Give it a rest will you. They raised £17,100 and all the best to them.

Do you think they are now going to use that money to now launch a Superleague bid?

This is about survival.

#4 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,869 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

That's all positve and great news.

what loyalty from semi-pros are you expecting? The boys doing a dangerous job for peanuts should get the best deal they can and not hesitate a single second if they get a better deal elsewhere.
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#5 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,959 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

1. How would Leigh link up with Wigan as their A-team?

2. Why would Leigh link up with Wigan as their A-team?

3. When would Leigh link up with Wigan as their A-team?

4. Where would Leigh link up with Wigan as their A-team?

5. Who has said that Leigh will link up with Wigan as their A-team?

#6 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:44 PM

The Leigh ISA was set up in 1999, and generated £40k plus last year and represented nearly 20% of the playing budget.

Our fans maybe dwindling and passing away but we have a fantastic hard core who go that extra mile to keep a club in the town, inspite of RFL policy.

We will never have a Wiresque link up with Wigan, but we have never worked better together since the Miners Strikes of the 20's. There is a mutual benefit, especially when we get back to SL and become one of their 3-4 biggest gates again.

#7 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:48 PM

What's the target of £40,000 for? Doesn't state in the press release.

#8 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,959 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:00 PM

Unqualified congratulations, LISA. I think that is great news and shows that fans are more than just paying customers. Sorry to have slightly derailed the thread. it was just an automatic reaction to Keighley's negativity.

#9 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

What's the target of £40,000 for? Doesn't state in the press release.

The CEO was identifying a potential shortfall if crowds remained low and looking for solutions now instead of panic later.

The inability of Salford to fulfill a fixture left a significant financial hole, which when factored in with 2 gates below the projected 1850 average for the season would lead to an income shortfall.

He has asked for business's to support more and crowds to increase to head this scenario off. The budget also excludes reaching any finals or a CC run so the shortfall is a worst case projection and more a bit of a wake up call to fans who couldn't be ar$ed this year imo.

The club have adopted an open book approach with fans, as opposed to the mushroom policy of others.

Edited by sweaty craiq, 08 March 2013 - 04:12 PM.

#10 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,006 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:19 PM

The Leigh ISA was set up in 1999, and generated £40k plus last year and represented nearly 20% of the playing budget.

Our fans maybe dwindling and passing away but we have a fantastic hard core who go that extra mile to keep a club in the town, inspite of RFL policy.

Well done Craiq.

Is your playing budget around £200K then?

WELL DONE Leigh on the open book policy towards fans too.

#11 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:03 PM

Well done Craiq.

Is your playing budget around £200K then?

WELL DONE Leigh on the open book policy towards fans too.

About £235k.

#12 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,006 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:59 PM

About £235k.

Thanks for that. As you say it's always best everyone is honest with each other about the situatios clubs are in.

#13 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,790 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

We will never have a Wiresque link up with Wigan, but we have never worked better together since the Miners Strikes of the 20's. There is a mutual benefit, especially when we get back to SL and become one of their 3-4 biggest gates again.

Fans may be dwindling from games, but that is only because there is nowt to play for. They are still there. Leigh still has loads of fans who will be back once promotion is decided the right way. The Leeds game showed that last year

#14 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,959 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:25 PM

Fans may be dwindling from games, but that is only because there is nowt to play for. They are still there. Leigh still has loads of fans who will be back once promotion is decided the right way. The Leeds game showed that last year

nowt to play for? How dare you belittle the efforts of directors, players, staff and supporters in this way!!! You really have no idea of what you are talking about.

#15 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:52 PM

1. How would Leigh link up with Wigan as their A-team?

2. Why would Leigh link up with Wigan as their A-team?

3. When would Leigh link up with Wigan as their A-team?

4. Where would Leigh link up with Wigan as their A-team?

5. Who has said that Leigh will link up with Wigan as their A-team?

Nobody has said that they will. They want to be indepednent. That's my point.

#16 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,790 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:51 PM

nowt to play for? How dare you belittle the efforts of directors, players, staff and supporters in this way!!! You really have no idea of what you are talking about.

There is nowt to play for. WTF has that statement got to do with the superb efforts of Leigh RFC fans? You really have no idea of what you are talking about.

#17 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,026 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:01 AM

Congratulations to all involved in raising the money.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#18 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,297 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

There is nowt to play for.

Tell that to the Sheffield coaching staff, team and supporters. Winning the Championship last year was fantastic for the club. Wouldn't mind doing it again.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#19 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,413 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

But a number of fans do feel its a Comp that holds back the best clubs. Whether you or I or Directors etc feel like that doesnt matter. A number either choose certain games to watch or have stopped going after being seen at every game before. Many people do that I know anyway. Players and Coaching staff will never see it really as nowt to play for as the challenge and honour is there. And getting to a final or winning a League is always something that you aim for no matter what comp it is at whatever level. But fans maybe are deciding they dont value it that much unless the club actually get there. The decision that some clubs have more or less become "A" teams for certain SL clubs, has in the opinion of a number of fans has further devalued the comp. A number of clubs have seemingly lower crowds than last year. That is despite the thrill and spills the Championship brings. Just because we have a view it doesnt me we are right or have the right to criticize others who see things differently.

Edited by Lounge Room Lizard, 10 March 2013 - 12:38 PM.

#20 DAZROVER1985

DAZROVER1985
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

Tell that to the Sheffield coaching staff, team and supporters. Winning the Championship last year was fantastic for the club. Wouldn't mind doing it again.

also tell that to the fev fans and players that lost in both finals last year, I'm sure they didn't say don't worry we weren't playing for owt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users