Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

LISA Presents £15,000 Cheque To Leigh Centurions

Club news release

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 HOLYMOLY

HOLYMOLY
  • Coach
  • 249 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

I think you all know what Lobby means

#22 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,189 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:32 PM

But a number of fans do feel its a Comp that holds back the best clubs. Whether you or I or Directors etc feel like that doesnt matter. A number either choose certain games to watch or have stopped going after being seen at every game before. Many people do that I know anyway. Players and Coaching staff will never see it really as nowt to play for as the challenge and honour is there. And getting to a final or winning a League is always something that you aim for no matter what comp it is at whatever level. But fans maybe are deciding they dont value it that much unless the club actually get there. The decision that some clubs have more or less become "A" teams for certain SL clubs, has in the opinion of a number of fans has further devalued the comp.

A number of clubs have seemingly lower crowds than last year. That is despite the thrill and spills the Championship brings.

I often don't agree with you but you have a point. Swinton were 10% down last week, Workington 700 fans down on the Barrow game last year to this, Eagles were up but played this years York game at Bramall Lane not Don Valley.......

Batley and Halifax down a THIRD this year, Keighley/Leigh same as last year.............

No sign of Leeds fans flocking to SLS to watch Hood, Kleinhorst, Singleton Watson and Achurch.......

The full facts will be in the Gillette 2013/14 yearbook. Wether the drop in crowds will continue and be a major worry I don't know, I wouldn't know if falling crowds in the CC will be a catalyst for some clubs pulling back from the full on "A" team route they seem to be taking.

It would depend on erm, 'Money' and it may be the loss of turnstyle receipts is more than made up by the gain in a reduced wage bill from acting as the "A" team.

The integrity of the Championship looks like it's being affected by DR, but the reversal of the DR policy may simply see the Championship devalued by cricket scores.

#23 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,189 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

Fans may be dwindling from games, but that is only because there is nowt to play for. They are still there. Leigh still has loads of fans who will be back once promotion is decided the right way. The Leeds game showed that last year

I understand your point here, but I find it hard to imagine that most of the Championship clubs will be playing for promotion?

The supporters trusts who run CC clubs can't find a £4,000,000 turnover to run in SL, other small clubs can't either, Batley & Dewsbury don't want it and I certainly doubt your club can find such money given it's economic difficulties that the "open policy" is laying bare.

Where is the integrity in a competition in which the ultimate prize of promotion to Superleague will be one nobody wants.

Certainly Hunslet would like the Grand Final Bowl again, rather than promotion thank you.

#24 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:54 AM

A fantastic effort.

I'm involved with the newly-established Rovers Supporters Trust and I'm always on the look out for stories like this. It shows what can be done and I take a lot of inspiration from it.

#25 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:18 PM

A great donation on behalf of the fans, but what do the fans get in return - for instance do they get a shareholding or any say in decision making?

Leigh are my nearest pro club - I'm just three miles to LSV. However, I've lived here for over six years and the profile of the club in the community is virtually non existent. I looked to see if they run holiday camps for my son and found it extremely difficult to find anything. Professional rugby league is a very expensive pastime and I can't help thinking that the attitude of many clubs - especially at Championships level - is to exploit that ever dwindling group of die-hards to the max, rather than look to welcome potential new fans.

The lack of automatic P&R doesn't put me off watching a club like Leigh. It's the price and the overall product on offer.

Apologies for putting something negative on what is certainly a good news story.

Edited by Jonty, 12 March 2013 - 10:21 PM.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#26 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

A great donation on behalf of the fans, but what do the fans get in return - for instance do they get a shareholding or any say in decision making?

Leigh are my nearest pro club - I'm just three miles to LSV. However, I've lived here for over six years and the profile of the club in the community is virtually non existent. I looked to see if they run holiday camps for my son and found it extremely difficult to find anything. Professional rugby league is a very expensive pastime and I can't help thinking that the attitude of many clubs - especially at Championships level - is to exploit that ever dwindling group of die-hards to the max, rather than look to welcome potential new fans.

The lack of automatic P&R doesn't put me off watching a club like Leigh. It's the price and the overall product on offer.

Apologies for putting something negative on what is certainly a good news story.

#27 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:04 PM

Lrlfc run summer camps and work with local Jnr clubs, try www.leighcenturions.com for details. Also it would cost you £17 for you and your son to attend a game

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users