RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Getting more Support

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#61 Penola

Penola
  • 592 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:49 AM

Looking in the programme for Sunday, when we played Whitehaven in 1995 there were only 506 watching so not a lot has changed. I agree we need to keep going and going and as long as we are not losing money then it will come

#62 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,454 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:20 AM

We had two attendances lower than Sundays last season, and our average Year on Year is only down by 18 at the minute, which isn't bad when you think that we have had Barrow, Donny and Whitehaven at home with only Dewsbury were you would expect a good following.

So we just need to keep trying and promoting the games.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#63 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,441 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:20 AM

Pity the attendance was only 375. If Haven brought 25, that means we could only attract 350 of our own speccies. We might as well shut the gates and throw the key away. I know it was a cold day, but even so, we should attract 750 for Whitehaven and 1,000 for local derbies.

That can't be right, Haven always take hundreds to away games. ;) ;) ;)

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#64 maccca-6-

maccca-6-
  • Coach
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:24 AM

We had two attendances lower than Sundays last season, and our average Year on Year is only down by 18 at the minute, which isn't bad when you think that we have had Barrow, Donny and Whitehaven at home with only Dewsbury were you would expect a good following.

So we just need to keep trying and promoting the games.

Barrow brought a good following mate. There were 2 coaches parked outside the drysalters before the game
hunslet hawks champions 2010

#65 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,454 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:50 AM

Barrow brought a good following mate. There were 2 coaches parked outside the drysalters before the game

They did mate id say around 80-100, which would be why the crowd was 491, which was 100+ more than Sundays. But you'd expect Batley, Halifax, Leigh, Fev and York to bring more.

Sheffield will be another a good indicator, hopefully it will be little warmer, no mothersday so we will be hoping for 450+, its a game we need to push!

Its a small miracle were we are at the minute, to be competing & winning games, as a club with no financial backer, supporter owned, and only 350 fans, is quite amazing. The truth is we are way out of our depth at this level, but we are Hunslet and we will all work hard and support our club to make sure we keep the club alive!

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#66 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

Think I counted about 15 Haven fans plus their Directors.
Anybody who turned up in such artic weather deserves a medal.
Hunslet fans have to be realistic on what the Dual Reg players have brought to us, without them we would be struggling.
Good to see Robin Hood back on the Forum.

#67 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 836 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

The attendances have always been a problem, since even before I've been going. A league match against Huyton in December 1970 attracted 267 to Parkside. One of the very last games at Parkside, in April 1973, against Hull believe it or not, was watched by 300.

And yet it was still decided the club was to be saved in the summer of that year. We should be very used by now to operating on smaller gates than practically all of our rivals !!

And we all know that the problem has been increased by some supporters boycotting the club, as this thread shows.

Edited by Hawkwindbag, 12 March 2013 - 01:02 PM.

#68 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,454 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:59 PM

The attendances have always been a problem, since even before I've been going. A league match against Huyton in December 1970 attracted 267 to Parkside. One of the very last games at Parkside, in April 1973, against Hull believe it or not, was watched by 300.

And yet it was still decided the club was to be saved in the summer of that year. We should be very used by now to operating on smaller gates than practically all of our rivals !!

And we all know that the problem has been increased by some supporters boycotting the club, as this thread shows.

But the supporters i have been told are "Boycotting", which is a handful, most of them didn't come to games last season so i don't think people boycotting us is the reason why our crowd was poor Sunday.

#69 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 836 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:37 PM

But the supporters i have been told are "Boycotting", which is a handful, most of them didn't come to games last season so i don't think people boycotting us is the reason why our crowd was poor Sunday.

Not so sure about that ... I know at least three people who sit near me who certainly haven't been this season, one or two other faces I can think of I haven't spotted yet either (it might be they are still coming but I just haven't bumped into them).

#70 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,454 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

Not so sure about that ... I know at least three people who sit near me who certainly haven't been this season, one or two other faces I can think of I haven't spotted yet either (it might be they are still coming but I just haven't bumped into them).

So that's a handful? ;)

When you put the amount of people not coming this season against the number who havnt bothered for some years its a relatively a small amount.

Ive also seen faces this season who i havnt seen for years, bumped in to a bloke in the Phoenix who stopped coming in 1999, he had a new shirt on and is a season ticket holder, also the twins who stopped coming in 1999 have both bought season tickets this season.

#71 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:17 PM

its criminal the so called sporting public of a city the size of Leeds ( 700,000 ) cant be bothered to get out of the pubs , clubs, white rose centre and ikea on a sunday afternoon.Its always been the same to be honest .
Posted Image

#72 SPARTACUS

SPARTACUS
  • Coach
  • 923 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:56 PM

After 4 pages on this subject has everyone forgotten the main reason for the lack of crowds at SLS. The RFLs decision to refuse us entry into SL cost us around 1,200 fans overnight as gates dropped from 2000 down to 800. All efforts by the club since have failed as disillusioned fans stay away. I have said repeatedly many times since that survival itself is our priority, and hope that the sport changes at the top before its too late for us and other smaller clubs. The current board are to be thanked for carrying on the task since Grahame Liles departure, but crowds are not likely to return until promotion/relegation is re-introduced.
Lets hope everybodys hard work is rewarded in the not too distant future !
May the FORCE be with you.
Top Bombing - Ave it son.
ITS SPITTIN !!
Its not bloody TIDDLEYWINKS ya know !!

#73 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

One of your better reports Spartacus.

#74 sgt pepper

sgt pepper
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:48 PM

Well said spartacus.

#75 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,454 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:39 PM

After 4 pages on this subject has everyone forgotten the main reason for the lack of crowds at SLS. The RFLs decision to refuse us entry into SL cost us around 1,200 fans overnight as gates dropped from 2000 down to 800. All efforts by the club since have failed as disillusioned fans stay away. I have said repeatedly many times since that survival itself is our priority, and hope that the sport changes at the top before its too late for us and other smaller clubs. The current board are to be thanked for carrying on the task since Grahame Liles departure, but crowds are not likely to return until promotion/relegation is re-introduced.

Can't disagree Big Al, spot on!

#76 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:40 PM

Correct Al , where just tredding water till red hall see fit to bring P+R back

#77 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,454 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

Correct Al , where just tredding water till red hall see fit to bring P+R back

You eaten them corned beef sarnies all ready?

#78 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:47 PM

You eaten them corned beef sarnies all ready?

Yes mate , not av'in any energy cake tonight , to late now , i'll be up early 2morro , punch the bag a few times then she'll get up :blink:

#79 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 448 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:48 PM

That can't be right, Haven always take hundreds to away games. ;) ;) ;)

52 seater coach was full and a few cars down aswell

#80 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:53 PM

whilst i agree about promotion,how come other clubs support dosent drop to 350 ? Lets get real here we might have averaged 2000 in the early days against play off games against HKR, Widnes , Fev etc but hand on heart weve never averaged 2000 in run of the mill games.What about 2 years ago when we got promoted from Champ 1 winning everygame bar one and averaged 40 points a game, we got 4-5 hundred.Its the non sporting public of this non sporting City thats the problem.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users