Getting more Support

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#81 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,473 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:18 PM

I agree Steve, It's just not us, Leeds Rhinos and Leeds United crowds are in decline also, I really don't think the public of south Leeds will ever come and watch us, the demographics of South Leeds are evidence of that, we have the biggest Asian population in the city on our door step, we have the biggest Eastern European population in the city both NOT interested in our sport! The remaining English citizens have all grown up in a Leeds dominated era, or have jumped on the Rhinos bandwagon, the community of south Leeds as is dosnt have enough people interested in rugby league to support a pro rugby league club! It's a shame but that's how if is, as big Al says its all about survival, but with over 40% of our support over 60 were do we go from here?

Edited by Blackpool Hawk, 12 March 2013 - 10:23 PM.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#82 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:35 PM

Would you say that reducing the admission for certain games is not working to get the fans in and will be costing your club money come the end of the season

#83 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:49 PM

listen jt if we let them in for nowt and signed billy slater and cam smith they still wouldnt come, we live with it, we have 350 of the loyalist fans in RL but basically thats it, the guys in South Leeds would sooner go to Crown Point or White Rose Shopping Centres on a Sun aft, these places are packed.Being dragged around Ikea is the new sport in Leeds.
Posted Image

#84 SPARTACUS

SPARTACUS
  • Coach
  • 925 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:51 PM

Bring back automatic P & R, then produce a winning team and the crowds will turn up. Its been proved time and time again at many clubs.
Go back to Elland Road days after getting promoted with crowds ave' 2700 our 1st game in top flight was Leeds at home. Crowd = 8000
May the FORCE be with you.
Top Bombing - Ave it son.
ITS SPITTIN !!
Its not bloody TIDDLEYWINKS ya know !!

#85 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:38 PM

al, that was at Elland rd in a big spacious stadium not in a cold soul-less windswept one sided postage stamp pitch in the middle of an industrial estate where we play now, sad but true.The best we can hope for is maybe 6-7 hundred but 2000 , never, even with P and R.
Posted Image

#86 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 902 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:42 AM

Thinking back to those "halcyon days" between 1995 and 1999, so many elements came together at that time to create success.
The catalyst was undoubtedly the new stadium. For the first time in a generation, Hunslet were playing in a ground they could regard as their own, close to their spiritual home. It was a fresh start, a novelty, and supporters old and new were attracted along.

The club's recruitment policy meant that seemingly every month a new and often exotic player would be signed, often from under someone else's noses and often fresh from Super League. Players like Mansson, Tawhai, Fatnowna, Maea, Vassilakopoulos, Ellis, Plange, Irwin, Pechey, Fletcher and D'Arcy blended in with locals Baker, Thackray, Coyle, Ross and Brook.

And the results improved. 18 months before we moved into the SLS we finished in the bottom three of the Rugby League. Two years after we were Division Two Champions. Two years after that we were Premiership champions.

And meanwhile over the river, Leeds were struggling to adapt to the Super League concept; only Paris and Workington finished below them in the 1996 table.

All the pieces were in place, and by 1998 three-figure crowds seemed a permanent thing of the past. It seemed genuinely "cool" to be seen at SLS on Sunday afternoons.

A lot has happened in the time since then, both in the sport and in the local community, and frankly very little of it has been to the benefit of Hunslet RLFC. Opening up the P&R gates again would be most welcome, but I'm not sure we could ever re-create the environment that would again carry us to the brink of Super League as we did in 99.

#87 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

al, that was at Elland rd in a big spacious stadium not in a cold soul-less windswept one sided postage stamp pitch in the middle of an industrial estate where we play now, sad but true.The best we can hope for is maybe 6-7 hundred but 2000 , never, even with P and R.

Steve im dammed sure if Richie Barrnet can score a try on the postage stamp pitch then anyone can , how many people are doing now what they did 15 years ago , people move on , get married , things change , the ground is off the beaten track , no P+R , even the big super league grounds are half empty , and many more topics that have already been mentioned , the way RFL move the goal posts every year fans don't know where they are , fed up springs to mind .......................

#88 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,473 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:56 AM

Thinking back to those "halcyon days" between 1995 and 1999, so many elements came together at that time to create success.
The catalyst was undoubtedly the new stadium. For the first time in a generation, Hunslet were playing in a ground they could regard as their own, close to their spiritual home. It was a fresh start, a novelty, and supporters old and new were attracted along.

The club's recruitment policy meant that seemingly every month a new and often exotic player would be signed, often from under someone else's noses and often fresh from Super League. Players like Mansson, Tawhai, Fatnowna, Maea, Vassilakopoulos, Ellis, Plange, Irwin, Pechey, Fletcher and D'Arcy blended in with locals Baker, Thackray, Coyle, Ross and Brook.

And the results improved. 18 months before we moved into the SLS we finished in the bottom three of the Rugby League. Two years after we were Division Two Champions. Two years after that we were Premiership champions.

And meanwhile over the river, Leeds were struggling to adapt to the Super League concept; only Paris and Workington finished below them in the 1996 table.

All the pieces were in place, and by 1998 three-figure crowds seemed a permanent thing of the past. It seemed genuinely "cool" to be seen at SLS on Sunday afternoons.

A lot has happened in the time since then, both in the sport and in the local community, and frankly very little of it has been to the benefit of Hunslet RLFC. Opening up the P&R gates again would be most welcome, but I'm not sure we could ever re-create the environment that would again carry us to the brink of Super League as we did in 99.

Superb Post

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#89 blackhawk

blackhawk

boxer boy

• Coach
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:05 AM

Steve im dammed sure if Richie Barrnet can score a try on the postage stamp pitch then anyone can , how many people are doing now what they did 15 years ago , people move on , get married , things change , the ground is off the beaten track , no P+R , even the big super league grounds are half empty , and many more topics that have already been mentioned , the way RFL move the goal posts every year fans don't know where they are , fed up springs to mind .......................

spot on rich

#90 Penola

Penola
  • 606 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:33 AM

Post of 2013 so far!

#91 Penola

Penola
  • 606 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

Page 23 of YEP tonight shows a mass of pupils from South Leeds Academy with Hunslet and Leeds players. Not one kid had a Hunslet shirt on but about a dozen in Leeds shirts. Says it all

#92 maccca-6-

maccca-6-
  • Coach
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:36 PM

Page 23 of YEP tonight shows a mass of pupils from South Leeds Academy with Hunslet and Leeds players. Not one kid had a Hunslet shirt on but about a dozen in Leeds shirts. Says it all

I'd call that child abuse. No kid if mine would ever go through the experience of wearing 1 of them pink blouse's
hunslet hawks champions 2010

#93 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,473 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:15 PM

What do you expect Carl? Leeds are on the TV every over Friday, they get masive exposure they spend hundreds of thousands on marketing campaigns, it's just not fashionable to support Hunslet, we play in a league that has no exposure, it's on a TV Chanel you have to subscribe to and we have no money to spend on marketing, it's just how it is and it isn't ever going to change without P&R and a stream of our clubs getting to the promised land!

If we were in super league, on sky every week and competing and getting that exposure ever kid in that school would have a HUNSLET top on!

#94 Penola

Penola
  • 606 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:31 PM

I know Gaz. It doesn't surprise me. But it still ###### me off

Edited by Penola, 13 March 2013 - 10:34 PM.

#95 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,473 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:47 PM

I know Gaz. It doesn't surprise me. But it still ###### me off

Me too mate, but we have to deal with it and take the positives, lets be happy that at least we had players there and had a presence which is more than we have in the past!

All we can do is keep trying!

#96 Penola

Penola
  • 606 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:59 PM

Me too mate, but we have to deal with it and take the positives, lets be happy that at least we had players there and had a presence which is more than we have in the past!

All we can do is keep trying!

Great Oaksey full page column as well. I could get used to that each week! Good on Peter Smith

Edited by Penola, 13 March 2013 - 11:00 PM.

#97 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,473 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:00 AM

Great Oaksey full page column as well. I could get used to that each week! Good on Peter Smith

Yes mate, were trying do more and more with the YEP but again like it or not they have only really taken us seriously since the partnership with Leeds, we've never had as much exposure in the media especially from our local paper.

#98 hunslet1952

hunslet1952
  • Players
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:23 PM

Dont get too excited about the YEP. Says Warriors are playing Oldham in Challenge Cup.

#99 Leeds17

Leeds17
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

Just going back to the original topic for a moment.

I support both Hunslet and Leeds (and there can't be many like me lol) and I personally wouldn't want to see Hunslet playing at Headingley before Rhinos games!

1. I wouldn't want to be stood/sat in a stadium for 2 games, it would be over 3 hours and in this sort of weather.

2. I would find it more disrespectful to Hawks with the majority of Leeds fans coming in either for second half or after 60 mins and just casually watching as if it was a junior/school match!

I go to Headingley because it's the home of the Rhinos and I want to be surrounded by fellow fans. I then go to South Leeds stadium for the same reason!

Like many have stated already there are dozens of reasons why attendances drop but this idea will not help at all !!!!

#100 noname6

noname6
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:30 PM

Would 10000 people watching the last 20 mins of a Hunslet game be a bad thing, you wouldn't want to do it all the time, but once or twice may cause a lot of people to realise that the standard of the championship is actually very high and has one of the most level playing fields. This may change their attitude to coming to Hunslet on a Sunday, just reading their forum and its very easy to see that not many on there think a great deal about Hunslet or the level of rugby! Comments like 'send Vickery to learn a place at Hunslet' sum it up, they clearly have no idea that he wouldn't get into Hunslets team - he'd be a long were down the list for both wing & fullback, and the championship isn't the place for someone to learn a completely new position.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users