Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

JONES NEARS END OF ROAD TO RECOVERY

Club news release

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:07 AM

Ben Jones' bravery in 2012 has meant that the Dewsbury Rams prop-forward has been forced to miss the start of the new Championship season, but the former Leeds, Harlequins and York man says he is close to a playing return.

Jones underwent surgery during the close season after playing through the pain barrier to help his team-mates last year, but he is now hoping to get back on the field as soon as possible, and is ready to stake a claim for a first team spot.

"It’s coming along well now, I’m ready to go," said Jones. I just need to get some match fitness, but I’ve already told Glenn Morrison that I’m ready.

"Missing a lot of pre-season is a pain, but you’ve just got to pick yourself up, train really hard and do a lot of stuff when you’re away from the club. I’m in the gym every day, doing other stuff like that. It has been horrible, but I just can’t wait to get back now. I don’t like watching, I just want to be out there."

Despite missing a lot of pre-season training, Jones says he has been impressed with new head coach Glenn Morrison, and the professionalism that he has brought to the club.

"He’s a great coach and it’s all very professional. We’ve all got our team programmes, and we’ve got to fill them in and meet our targets. We’ve also got time structures so you can’t be messing about. Training has been great. We have nice and short sessions, which we’ve got to get done right, so I’m really enjoying it."

The Rams’ only defeat of the season came in February, when they were narrowly beaten by current league leaders Featherstone, but, while Jones says he is delighted with the start the team has made, he admits it's made the task of earning a spot in the first team much tougher.

"It’s tough at the minute because everyone is obviously fighting for a first team spot. With the team performing so well, Glenn can’t really put anyone else in unless someone has a bad game or we start to lose. There’s good competition for places.

"Obviously we want to win the league, but there’s still a long way to go and there are a lot of good teams in this competition. If we carry on the way we are then we’ve got a very good chance of getting in the top six, if not the top four."

Sunday sees the Rams travel to Cumbria to face Barrow, who currently sit bottom of the Championship table. But despite the Raiders having failed to win a game so far this season, Jones believes that only a very strong performance will be enough for Morrison's men to come home with a win.

"It’s a tough place to go," said Jones. It’s a long way and we’ve got to prepare right for it, but I think we’ll come through it and get a win."

Joe Whiteley
Dewsbury Rams media team

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users