Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Brian Noble in the frame for Salford role

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 918 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

.......according to this article. It doesn't say whether Noble would be a short term or long term option, but he would be a great choice, he's british and his record is second
to none.

http://www1.skysport..._medium=twitter

#2 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:14 PM

Good choice and if he turns Salford around in the short term he should be offered the job full time.

#3 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,989 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:17 PM

Good choice and if he turns Salford around in the short term he should be offered the job full time.

+1
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#4 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

Seems like the only coach available now who is of the caliber that the doctor would want. He would certainly help in attracting higher quality players. Hope it happens.
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#5 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

For me he would only be a stop gap coach. Really don't like the way he sets up his teams, it always feels negative. In some ways Hunte may do the same job as he has the background of being trained by Harrison. I'm not sure Noble would be attractive to NRL players

Still waiting to hear who the up and coming coach is.

#6 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:25 PM

Who cares whether he is attractive to NRL players? This is the European Super League, if they don't like it, s.o.d them.

Noble would be a great choice.

#7 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,613 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

Noble would be an improvement for all clubs bar 3 or 4, Salford would be mad not to take him.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#8 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,833 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:41 PM

For me he would only be a stop gap coach. Really don't like the way he sets up his teams, it always feels negative. In some ways Hunte may do the same job as he has the background of being trained by Harrison. I'm not sure Noble would be attractive to NRL players

Is it not Tony Iro? Certainly the name the MEN have been banding around all week.

I'd have thought Noble would be a good shout myself, if you struggle to attract NRL players I'd suggest thats down to the now vast differences in Salary Cap rather than having a coach of Nobles calibre at the helm.

It'll certainly be an interesting appointment whoever they go for.

#9 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:44 PM

RW, he has a very good record as a coach. Winning trophies and improving teams isn't negative.

I can't see what the issue is with attracting NRL players if he becomes the Salford coach. That will be down to availability, ambition and finance surely.

#10 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:56 PM

Top bloke Nobby, personally I would be very happy to have him head coach at Saints.

#11 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:22 PM

I'd have Noble over most coaches knocking round in the world. He pretty much comes with a guarantee that he will improve your team. Top bloke, top coach.

#12 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

He would improve the current team but we have been here before with Karl Harrison. Concentrate on the defensive play and don't worry about attack.Noble coaches dull rugby.

Iro has been mentioned as head coach but the young guy hasn't been named yet.

#13 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:44 PM

I agree about Noble. Great track record but not the man to get us playing crowd pleasing rugby.

I suspect this unnamed "up and coming coach" will take the reins until the end of the year before becoming Sheens' assistant

#14 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,850 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:40 PM

Winning games pleases the crowds no matter what IMO which is what Salford need.

Is Sheens a realistic target?

#15 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,080 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:44 PM

Winning games pleases the crowds no matter what IMO which is what Salford need.

Is Sheens a realistic target?

It looks like the good Dr. has money to burn,so probably,yes.
Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#16 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,433 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:55 PM

Noble is a fantastic coach and person, I've a lot of time for nobby.

Won all trophies you can in super league, not many coaches can say that... End of....

#17 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

He would improve the current team but we have been here before with Karl Harrison. Concentrate on the defensive play and don't worry about attack.Noble coaches dull rugby.

Iro has been mentioned as head coach but the young guy hasn't been named yet.

Have I missed something? I may have because I live so far away from Salford. However, doesn't Sean Long coach the attack? Could he not continue as Assistant Coach with Noble as Head Coach? I suppose new coaches usually bring their own men in, so it's probably a non-starter.

Edited by tonyXIII, 10 March 2013 - 09:00 PM.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#18 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:32 PM

Noble is a fantastic coach and person, I've a lot of time for nobby.

Won all trophies you can in super league, not many coaches can say that... End of....

Maybe Salford should recruit Tony Smith and then you can have Nobby at Warrington

#19 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:57 PM

Maybe Salford should recruit Tony Smith and then you can have Nobby at Warrington

If Smith left I expect most would be happy with Nobby.

I suspect most wouldn't want Nobby over Smith, but at some stage Smith will leave and Noble would be a worthy replacement.

Your post suggests that Wire fans are belittling Salford by suggesting Nobby as a good option.

#20 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,433 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:02 AM

If smith left warrington I'd love nobby, have you seen his record??

He knows the game at levels, and a person who players respect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users