TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

World Baseball Classic

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:50 PM

Good tournament so far although owing to the scheduling it's a bit all over the shop as to who has qualified for which stage.

Anyway, Japan destroyed the (Kingdom of the) Netherlands this morning to make it through to the semi finals; the 'Dutch' now get another go to qualify from their double-elimination pool by taking on Cuba. When the two last met the boys in orange won 6-2. (That's live on ESPN America at 11am tomorrow).

Over in the US/Puerto Rico groups they're still in the first round stage - Puerto Rico and Venezuela have qualified for the second round already, as have Italy. Tonight at 8pm live on ESPN America there's the 'lose and go home, win and go through' match between USA and Canada. The four qualifed teams then contest a second round bracket to determine the next two semi finalists.

Great Britain had a go at qualifying but lost to Germany and Canada, (but recording a win against the Czech Republic), in a qualifying group in Regensburg last Autumn.

And, lest you think, nobody cares, here's Mexico and Canada having a 'real fight not a baseball fight' yesterday.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#2 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:28 AM

Good tournament so far although owing to the scheduling it's a bit all over the shop as to who has qualified for which stage.

Anyway, Japan destroyed the (Kingdom of the) Netherlands this morning to make it through to the semi finals; the 'Dutch' now get another go to qualify from their double-elimination pool by taking on Cuba. When the two last met the boys in orange won 6-2. (That's live on ESPN America at 11am tomorrow).

Over in the US/Puerto Rico groups they're still in the first round stage - Puerto Rico and Venezuela have qualified for the second round already, as have Italy. Tonight at 8pm live on ESPN America there's the 'lose and go home, win and go through' match between USA and Canada. The four qualifed teams then contest a second round bracket to determine the next two semi finalists.

Great Britain had a go at qualifying but lost to Germany and Canada, (but recording a win against the Czech Republic), in a qualifying group in Regensburg last Autumn.

And, lest you think, nobody cares, here's Mexico and Canada having a 'real fight not a baseball fight' yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iIQZMt-96qs

When you say "Great Britain" you actually mean a bunch of Americans and Canadians with tenuous links to this country. IIRC one of the players qualified because his mum was Hong Kong Chinese and had a GB passport, although neither she nor her son had ever set foot in this country.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#3 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:08 PM

When you say "Great Britain" you actually mean a bunch of Americans and Canadians with tenuous links to this country.

It's certainly possible. There was never the slightest risk of them qualifying so I didn't actually check.

EDIT - the WBC eligibility criteria for Team GB:

Each player on the GB roster must meet at least one of the following criteria:
  • Holds British citizenship and carries a valid passport
  • Is a permanent legal resident in the UK
  • Was born in the UK or British territories
  • Is a direct descendant of a British citizen
  • Has a parent who was born in the UK or British territories
  • Is eligible for British citizenship or to hold a UK passport

Edited by gingerjon, 11 March 2013 - 01:09 PM.

- Severus, July 2012

#4 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:39 PM

Cuba are out.

Lost to a "walk off sac fly" in the bottom of the ninth to the Kingdom of the Netherlands. The Euro/Caribbean nation thus progresses to the semi finals alongside Japan.

Next matches are in the double elimination second round stage: Italy v Dominican Republic; Puerto Rico v USA.
- Severus, July 2012

#5 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:17 PM

The Spain v Venezuela match was a cracking comeback, Spain 3-0 up, and lost 11-4, mainly due to the 4th & 5th innings
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#6 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

USA don't make it to the Championship Round - and then in the first semi final the Japanese go out to Puerto Rico. PR await the winner of the Dominican Republic v Curacao (aka The Kingdom of the Netherlands) match which is tonight.

33,683 saw the semi final in San Francisco, the average gate for the tournament so far is just over 19,000.
- Severus, July 2012

#7 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

And then there were two ... it's Dominican Republic versus Puerto Rico for the WBC title. Live at midnight on ESPN America.
- Severus, July 2012

#8 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:50 PM

Are all the top player's in mlb involved in this?because I keep taking a look at spring training and all the Phillies face are there.I know Phillies right now are not the best,but what I'm saying is are all the top player's from MLB available for this comp?
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#9 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

Are all the top player's in mlb involved in this?because I keep taking a look at spring training and all the Phillies face are there.I know Phillies right now are not the best,but what I'm saying is are all the top player's from MLB available for this comp?

Some are, some aren't. The US could probably put together a better team - not necessarily one that would win - but most other nations are, I think, pretty much full strength.
- Severus, July 2012

#10 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:54 AM

DR goes through the tournament unbeaten to take the title
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users