RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

York v Town

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#81 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 881 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:37 PM

We possibly do have the best pack when their attitude is right but I think the sending off of Thackray sums the day up. When will he grow up

#82 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 939 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:43 PM

Well I wasn't there so I'm not getting the knives out for the lads as i only have the york radio to go off. After the Donny performance Charlo said things needed addressed and it is up to him and Oggy to make us competitive away. Is it the bigger pitches that make the difference, the travelling or summat else?
I expected bad results away from home this season, just not against Donny & York. I'm sure it will get sorted as the season progresses. We don't have any easy away games this year so home results are the key .Teams will struggle with the travelling up here as we do down there. Our disadvantage is we travel a long way every other week where the yorks/lancs teams do it a couple of times a season.
Thacks should know better but talks to the ref every week that I see.
It's up to the lads next week to get a result and show what they are made of. If they are all gutted and determined to put it right next week I will be happy.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#83 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:44 PM

Not being smug but on the way into the ground a Town fan was boasting that Town had the best pack in the division, they were out played today I was fearing the worst with us having our 2 second row forwards missing and our Props carrying injuries, Calderwood just did not want to know, still think you'll be hard to beat at home but your going to have to improve,

we do have a strong pack mate. We are better than that we simply haven't turned up again. We did it at donny and at home to barrow in the first half last week.

#84 ANDYPK

ANDYPK
  • Coach
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

got to say lads that has to be the worst performance I have seen by an away side at York for many years, not sure what caused it as I was expecting a right royal battle and thought your pack would have the experience to trouble us, however, on that form you are relegation fodder, didn't look the slightest interested, only your fullback Carter and Mossop appeared to be interested. Thought we bossed you all over the park and our tackling and kicking game kept you pinned back even when you had some possession you simply had nothing to trouble us with. To cap it all I thought your away support as very good yet your team didn't even come over to t thank the travelling fans, I'd have been pretty pi**ed off if I'd come all that way to witness that. Tough season based on that.
Posted Image

#85 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:16 PM

got to say lads that has to be the worst performance I have seen by an away side at York for many years, not sure what caused it as I was expecting a right royal battle and thought your pack would have the experience to trouble us, however, on that form you are relegation fodder, didn't look the slightest interested, only your fullback Carter and Mossop appeared to be interested. Thought we bossed you all over the park and our tackling and kicking game kept you pinned back even when you had some possession you simply had nothing to trouble us with. To cap it all I thought your away support as very good yet your team didn't even come over to t thank the travelling fans, I'd have been pretty pi**ed off if I'd come all that way to witness that. Tough season based on that.

Andy we know we are better than that performance suggests. Its one to forget about and move on. I'm confident we aren't relegation fodder. keighley and whitehaven are my tip for the drop.

#86 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 3,720 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:17 PM

andy we are like jekyl and hyde at home and away. 2 totally different sides for some reason and we need it sorted asap. we arent relegation fodder by any stretch and you will see that when you travel up to derwent park as even after todays performance i fully expect a town victory. but you can only comment on what youve seen today and i dont think anyone could argue with you because it was pathetic to say the least.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#87 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,441 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:24 PM

I would hope that we can base our season on how we pushed Halifax all the way and how we should have beaten Sheffield, ANDYPK, and we probably will never know what was wrong with them today. Just listening to it on Radio York and the comments made by Ford (your captain) and the likes of you and SK, that wasn't the Town that we know. Yes, we have been crying out for a new half-back but as others have said our defence today is not what we have in the main witnessed this season. Whatever has brought about this unacceptable performance needs sorting soonest and we need to get everyone giving 100% every game. We didn't need Jamie Thackray to have another brain f**t and get sent off and therefore suspended for a few matches. How silly is that for a man of his experience?

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#88 ANDYPK

ANDYPK
  • Coach
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:43 PM

Keith, thought Thacks and Dowes were very poor and you didn't miss Thacks after his red card, two experienced old heads like them should have given our young pack a hiding. Agree that these sort of performances have to be put behind you and move on, DP is always a tough place to come and play and wont come there on a Thursday night in August expecting anything less than a battle. As for Calderwood, time to hang up boots I think, did not look slightest bit interested in playing and then injured his hip and didn't reappear aft HT.
Posted Image

#89 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:49 PM

Don't make sweeping judgements on players you don't see week to week , it's not fair or backed up by enough knowledge . We know what these players can and can't do and guys like Calders and Thacks have plenty to offer .

Edited by DavidM, 10 March 2013 - 06:51 PM.

#90 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 3,720 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

i was one of calders biggest critics last year, but he ripped sheffield to bits up here and has been impressive so far this season.

#91 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

Keith, thought Thacks and Dowes were very poor and you didn't miss Thacks after his red card, two experienced old heads like them should have given our young pack a hiding. Agree that these sort of performances have to be put behind you and move on, DP is always a tough place to come and play and wont come there on a Thursday night in August expecting anything less than a battle. As for Calderwood, time to hang up boots I think, did not look slightest bit interested in playing and then injured his hip and didn't reappear aft HT.

MC has obviously had a stinker at yours today Andy but he was played well this season and has scored some good trys for us. Anyway it sounded like all our players had stinkers today.

#92 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 717 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

Think Thacks will be looking at a ban this time, may be wrong but didnt he get a suspended sentence last year ? didnt look right last week I thought and now he mouths off again, he needs to be setting a good example to the others, very suprised with the result expected a point at least, the dogs is a must win match now, but I have faith in the lads to turn it round.

#93 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:17 PM

Think Thacks will be looking at a ban this time, may be wrong but didnt he get a suspended sentence last year ? didnt look right last week I thought and now he mouths off again, he needs to be setting a good example to the others, very suprised with the result expected a point at least, the dogs is a must win match now, but I have faith in the lads to turn it round.

yeah i think we can bounce back and lets face it, it could be worse we could be haven fans.

#94 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

Maybe it's time we raided Widnes, shoved 5 in and did a York n Hunslet . Give our guys a real shake up .

A small point of order, but York had three Dual-Registered players today, and one of those is on a season-long loan.
Posted Image

#95 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 3,720 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

yeah i think we can bounce back and lets face it, it could be worse we could be haven fans.

we both got battered today, i think we should be worrying about ourselves rather than haven.

#96 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:29 PM

unlucky today lads, you will bounce back..

Edited by shun, 10 March 2013 - 07:33 PM.

#97 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:30 PM

Sorry Gav that wasn't meant to be a dig , just plucking things out of thin air as I laboured to a point borne of frustration and anger !!

Edited by DavidM, 10 March 2013 - 07:33 PM.

#98 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,441 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:33 PM

Judging by Charlo's comments on the radio I think we will be using several dual registered players next week due to injuries. Morris and Calderwood look certain to be missing and Stack has a swollen knee, plus whatever else crops up through the week.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#99 JOHNNY83

JOHNNY83
  • Facebook
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:52 PM

Some of the Town players did come over to thank us but i think the chorus of boos put the rest off tbh!

#100 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:53 PM

Sorry Gav that wasn't meant to be a dig , just plucking things out of thin air as I laboured to a point borne of frustration and anger !!

No worries pal, make Derwent Park a fortress and you will be just fine.

:)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users