York v Town

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#141 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

We need a reaction next week and beyond , because that wasn't the town we know . Whether there was disruption , injuries , something behind the scenes that's causing gripes or whatever , who knows , but for coaches , players and fans alike , that display needs purging quickly and the faith restored . I'm convinced that wasn't Town as we know - time to put it right pronto and restore that shirt to its rightful
proud stature.

#142 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:08 AM

Surprised not got a few Widnes players who have had no game time.Pickgersgill,Ben Davies,Grant Gore,and Briscoe have hardly played.Adam Lawton is decent and Declan can play centre.Tom Gilmore is a cracking halfback but been playing u19s and standing out.

can you imagine what would happen to Widnes under 19's without Tom directing their team around ??? Tom's fine where he is at the moment and doesn't need to be thrown into the caldrum of championship rugby just yet. He will carry on learning his trade in the 19's and then I expect him to be slowly introduced into the first team set up at some point this season, although would you see him replacing Brown,Mellor,Craven, Hanbury just yet, because as talented as you say he is hes not anywhere near their level yet. Pickers and Grant are the best option for Workington at the moment - Pickers could help with Thacks being banned and Grant can help in the halves, and they could have a good few games out of them if needed to help continuity, When they get Matty back It will help Callum and when Miller come's back they will see how good Hulme is in the centre's with a flying machine on his outside . Alex Brown didn't finish top of the academy scoring charts two years running and playing against top SL opposition for nothing ;)

#143 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,007 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:54 AM

Having slept on it I still find it very hard to accept our performance yesterday. This is where our coaches have to earn their corn and get this sorted soonest. Most Town fans expected some bad days, and some very bad days, this season but not at York, and I'll add Doncaster who came up with us, and it's as if we are not trying anywhere near as hard when we are away from home. We have three very tough fixtures coming up - Batley (H); Fev (A) and Haven (H) - and unless we get our heads screwed back on we will be feeling very down by the end of those games.

I think that the coaches have also to listen to what the fans have been saying for a couple of seasons now and that is that our problems all start at half-back. I had two radio stations covering different matches going yesterday and I kept hearing names of half-backs - Presley & Nicklas and Casey & Campbell - getting mentioned often and surprise, surprise, they were teams that were winning. I very rarely heard the names of Lupton & Forber mentioned. Our play at half-back needs speeding up and I don't think the players we have used in those positions are capable of doing that but as someone else has already said, will we try someone/something different there? I doubt it through misguided loyalty to certain players.

Yesterday's defeat as well as the performance will already have affected next weeks attendance from the floating fans and this can have a knock on effect throughout the season, so it needs firm positive action by the club coaches. We have players who got injured yesterday and we need to be getting Declan Hulme on a full season loan instead of dual reg and playing him in his correct position in the centre. Gailer recommended Kayle Connor as a half-back so let's play him there and see how he goes, we can't be any worse surely. And finally, fine any player, no matter who, if they show dissent to match officials because that is an argument they can never, ever, win and we have had too much of it in some of our games.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#144 widnesrlfc

widnesrlfc
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

can you imagine what would happen to Widnes under 19's without Tom directing their team around ??? Tom's fine where he is at the moment and doesn't need to be thrown into the caldrum of championship rugby just yet. He will carry on learning his trade in the 19's and then I expect him to be slowly introduced into the first team set up at some point this season, although would you see him replacing Brown,Mellor,Craven, Hanbury just yet, because as talented as you say he is hes not anywhere near their level yet. Pickers and Grant are the best option for Workington at the moment - Pickers could help with Thacks being banned and Grant can help in the halves, and they could have a good few games out of them if needed to help continuity, When they get Matty back It will help Callum and when Miller come's back they will see how good Hulme is in the centre's with a flying machine on his outside . Alex Brown didn't finish top of the academy scoring charts two years running and playing against top SL opposition for nothing ;)

Actually agree with you mate as all them halfbacks are decent and ahead of Gilmore.Gore,Pickers and Hulme should get more games with you mate.

#145 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

Can't agree more Keith, the problem in the halves is so obvious and has been for a couple of years now. We need a bit of guile when near their line (wasn't to often yesterday) York kept getting repeat sets near our line and three of the tries were just deft little kicks in behind us and we just didn't react quick enough.
I think I said in an earlier thread "Roll on Good Friday " I'll take that back now, Rooney and Square Pants will have a field day if we defend kicks like that.

#146 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

Yes we need to try something new and stop just bringing the same people in and out . Lets think out of the box
and start coaching a different plan and mode of play . New faces may bring freshness and life , but we'll never know
if we never try . We do seem to have a stubborn streak I agree . And what is it , 90 points scored ?? Tells a story surely . Our attack is predictable and poor to watch but sure easy enough to plan and defend against .

Edited by DavidM, 11 March 2013 - 12:17 PM.

#147 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

Yes we need to try something new and stop just bringing the same people in and out . Lets think out of the box
and start coaching a different plan and mode of play . New faces may bring freshness and life , but we'll never know
if we never try . We do seem to have a stubborn streak I agree . And what is it , 90 points scored ?? Tells a story surely . Our attack is predictable and poor to watch but sure easy enough to plan and defend against .

Callum 9 , Gore 7 , Hulme 6 , Lupton 13 - spell Callum with Gore and bring Forber on from the bench at 7 - Coyle can carry the water and Kayle will get the ball in the centres - mossop on the opposite centre to Kayle

Edited by wonderofwood, 11 March 2013 - 12:28 PM.

#148 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

Aye , owt radical like that , or Hulme and Connor . Just something as we all say. Batley n Fev ... Tough games anyway so what's to lose ?

Edited by DavidM, 11 March 2013 - 12:31 PM.

#149 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

Aye , owt radical like that , or Hulme and Connor . Just something as we all say.

Not radical that pal , just replacing the current halfback pairing with two young lads who have played together for 5 years and have a bit more pace and guile than the current set up - and could be here all season if we did a bit of business ( oh and as I understand it are both out of contract at the end of the season so have the motivation to do well ;) )

Edited by wonderofwood, 11 March 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#150 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:46 PM

Oh it's radical for us !!

#151 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 856 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

What about playing Callum at scrum half Connor stand off olsrum at hooker Mossop morris centre hulme calderwood on the wing.The big disappointment to me have been Lupton and Downes.

#152 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:23 PM

Yep why not . But what we're thinking and what they're thinking could be very different ?

Edited by DavidM, 11 March 2013 - 01:24 PM.

#153 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,714 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

isnt matty due back now? it was in the paper saying he waa set to return last week but there was no timeline given. i honestly would leave karl in his proper position at loose. hopefully matty back at 9, callum and connor at halfs with lupton coming on off the bench. will any of these ideas happen? i very much doubt it, it will be lupton and coyle back at halfs on sunday

Edited by wonky, 11 March 2013 - 01:26 PM.

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#154 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

What about playing Callum at scrum half Connor stand off olsrum at hooker Mossop morris centre hulme calderwood on the wing.The big disappointment to me have been Lupton and Downes.

Dowes Abu !!! You will be getting a knock on your door calling him that!! :lol:
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#155 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

Well with results like yesterday the players should be expecting changes and some bench warming. Some good ideas on here about half back pairings either with our own players or some DR lads but like someone has said it will probably be same old same old on Sunday.

#156 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:51 PM

Whoever plays we need better attack . When you watch SL Fulltime and NRL round up you see fluid back moves with
quick passing, second man plays and bringing the full back in etc . We may not be as good but you can copy all the plays
and practice them to bring into your game ... Carter stand there , look how Slater does it , Lupton do this , copy that etc etc.
Lets see some moves and back plays that are coached and worked on , and lets see some kicks and dinks over the top to
our speedsters . And some scrum plays to .Just some moves that we see other teams do all the time and some sharpness .
So much is in the passing to. And I'll scream if I hear again " we haven't done much ball work " . Er let's start !

#157 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:05 PM

The DR system has its critics and even most clubs using it are tending to stick with their own players but if it ain't working in the halves (in our case) maybe its time to add a fresh face or two on DR in that area. players need to know if they aren't performing they will be dropped. I'm fairly confident town can bounce back but its no good just doing it at home.

#158 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

Callum is doing brilliant at hooker and thats definately his best position but I know if he got a run at half back he wouldnt be afraid to take the ball to the line and risk being hit by the defenders to try and put people through gaps and stand the opposition defences up to free space outwide which is something were lacking at the minute

Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#159 TOWN TILL I DIE

TOWN TILL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 550 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:05 PM

Just incase you need to see it again :(

#160 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,007 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

The tackling (or non-tackling) by Town was exactly the same as the Doncaster game, non-existant. Can anyone explain how the same set of lads can knock their pans in against much stronger opposition at Derwent Park and then defend like that away from home??? It defies logic and can only be down to attitude and mentality. Maybe if we took the view that every game was winnable we would at least not lose by such embarrassing scores such as yesterday but we seem to have this mentality that if we win our home games against teams around us then we will be okay. Any player not putting in the same effort away from DP should be dropped for the next home game!!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users