York v Town

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#161 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 845 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:41 PM

Thats right Gillmeister callum as been good at hooker. But as played most of his career in the half backs i just think with matty coming back and Alstrum there to cover Callum is a good bet at this time to try there???

#162 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

Has Lupton played many games at stand off before joining town?

#163 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,663 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

Has Lupton played many games at stand off before joining town?

whenever i seen him play it was at loose or 2nd row
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#164 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

Well I don't know enough about his career to be certain but it seems a bit harsh criticising him for not being creative enough at stand off when he isn't actually a stand off (if that's the case) doesn't it?

#165 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,663 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:42 PM

Well I don't know enough about his career to be certain but it seems a bit harsh criticising him for not being creative enough at stand off when he isn't actually a stand off (if that's the case) doesn't it?

im positive i read in the paper when he was saying he owed town a good season, he said that he had spoken to the coaches about playing his preferred position, loose forward. and he was given the number 13 as well which would indicate the plan was to play him there. im not sure why then, would we put him at 6? i personally think peters made a very good staft to the year, but he needs help in there.

#166 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:43 PM

I wish you had tackled like that against the Raiders the week before :o

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#167 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,973 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:48 PM

im positive i read in the paper when he was saying he owed town a good season, he said that he had spoken to the coaches about playing his preferred position, loose forward. and he was given the number 13 as well which would indicate the plan was to play him there. im not sure why then, would we put him at 6? i personally think peters made a very good staft to the year, but he needs help in there.

Didn't Peter Lupton represent Wales at stand-off a couple of seasons back?

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#168 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:00 PM

I don't see Lupton as a stand off in this league, agreed he has a decent set of hands but for me he struggles with pace and hasn't any sort of kicking game .Loose Forward is more of an option but Olstrum has been the stand out player so far this season so maybe we are trying to find a place for him in the starting 13, especially if he is commanding one of the biggest wages ??

#169 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

The tackling was appauling watching those highlights. Quite a few tries scored off ordinary looking kicks too. Our coaches will no doubt sort it out.
David, as for your Billy Slater moves, I am sure there is enough experience in our coaches, and ex Superleague players to string some moves together but IMO we lack the crispness of pass to sometimes execute these properly. Dave Peterson made a big impact last season partly because of the quality of his passing, unfortunately that is what we are missing sometimes. We can't just put a fancy move on and expect it to work, the forwards need to get the opposition on the back foot first too.
I have faith our lads and coaches will turn it around. They will all be gutted about the result and when Matty comes back he will make a difference to us.
As much as anything IMO we really miss a kicker of Holts quality. Time after time the kicks out of hand are just wasted at the end of a set or after a pen. A good kicker is worth his weight in gold. I only hope Connor can turn this around for us if he is a kicker.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#170 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,973 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:24 PM

In today's League Weekly, Charlo is reported as saying that Matty and Miller could be back for the Batley match!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#171 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 993 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

The tackling was appauling watching those highlights. Quite a few tries scored off ordinary looking kicks too. Our coaches will no doubt sort it out.
David, as for your Billy Slater moves, I am sure there is enough experience in our coaches, and ex Superleague players to string some moves together but IMO we lack the crispness of pass to sometimes execute these properly. Dave Peterson made a big impact last season partly because of the quality of his passing, unfortunately that is what we are missing sometimes. We can't just put a fancy move on and expect it to work, the forwards need to get the opposition on the back foot first too.
I have faith our lads and coaches will turn it around. They will all be gutted about the result and when Matty comes back he will make a difference to us.
As much as anything IMO we really miss a kicker of Holts quality. Time after time the kicks out of hand are just wasted at the end of a set or after a pen. A good kicker is worth his weight in gold. I only hope Connor can turn this around for us if he is a kicker.

I watched amateurs on saturday tackling better than that, its just not good enough from paid profesionals :angry:

#172 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,269 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

There's no doubt Lupton can play 6 in this league , look at Cooke , and from what I've seen he is much improved , but he does need a partner half who is a lively creative prescence with a kicking game as Peter likes a bit more of an individual license. When we are stronger he can move to 13 , and with him there , Matty at 9 and two stronger halves ( Connor and another , Hulme / Phillips ? ) and Olstrum giving cover we have a livelier look . Good to have Miller back to , and as Voodoo says , lets start zipping that ball out and everything will look sharper !

Edited by DavidM, 11 March 2013 - 07:14 PM.

#173 Ben10

Ben10
  • Players
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

#174 Ben10

Ben10
  • Players
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:18 PM

No he didn't he played at 13. Peter hasnt played at 6 for over 8 years!! His natural position is 13!! In reply to all the comments about the half backs I think its a bit unfair. Yeah they've not been at their best but by the sounds of Sunday towns forward pack was well n truly dominated, cooper cronk would struggle in a team where his pack is being dominated. Peter showed again barrow what he is capable of when the pack get on top and people outside him run where they're supposed to. Poor Brett n stacky are having to do to much wrk in the middle rather that be running out wide, when they are out wide they are good enough to run the right lines for likes of peter and Coyle and these guys will and do find them.

#175 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:46 PM

You can't really compare him and Cooke unless Cooke used to play 13 did he?

#176 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 845 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:03 PM

I think its time for our coaches to give Lupton a few games at 13 he is no stand off. Surely we signed Conner to play stand off not centre.Lets give Callum and Conner a go in the half,s Lupton 13 olstrum on the bench covering matty @ Lupton just to see how it goes. What do you think??

#177 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:10 PM

No he didn't he played at 13. Peter hasnt played at 6 for over 8 years!! His natural position is 13!! In reply to all the comments about the half backs I think its a bit unfair. Yeah they've not been at their best but by the sounds of Sunday towns forward pack was well n truly dominated, cooper cronk would struggle in a team where his pack is being dominated. Peter showed again barrow what he is capable of when the pack get on top and people outside him run where they're supposed to. Poor Brett n stacky are having to do to much wrk in the middle rather that be running out wide, when they are out wide they are good enough to run the right lines for likes of peter and Coyle and these guys will and do find them.

you may be right Ben but at the moment it just isn't happening in the halves and it has to improve

#178 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,269 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:12 PM

Sure why not . But I just don't see Peter Lupton as the main problem . He needs someone alongside him of quality to lighten the load . Neither Coyle or Forber have it . To often Peters taking it all on himself because there's nothing coming from his partner , and I cant fault his efforts in an alien position .Sure move him to 13 , thats where ive always seen him play , but Charlo obviously likes his experience at half , but if that's so he needs to find him a mate to break the line and share the creation n kicking . Then Peter can play his own game without forcing out to much .

Edited by DavidM, 11 March 2013 - 08:34 PM.

#179 Ben10

Ben10
  • Players
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:13 PM

Agree with you town it does but what I am trying to get across is that the blame just doesnt lie with the halves.

#180 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,663 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:48 PM

In today's League Weekly, Charlo is reported as saying that Matty and Miller could be back for the Batley match!!

thank god for that. we need elliot as much as we do matty, we lack serious pace without him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users