Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

March Photo Comp. Theme is "The Great Outdoors"

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,953 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:38 PM

gazza77 has chosen the March them and it is "The Great Outdoors", a good spring topic (if we get decent weather that is)

Sorry for the delay in opening the topic but I have been enjoying the great outdoors in Dorset.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#2 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:33 PM

A lonely stone
Afloat in the stone heavings of emptiness
Keeps telling her tale. Foxes killed her.

You take the coins out of the hollow in the top of it.
Put your own in. Foxes killed her here.
Why just here? Why not five yards that way?
A squared column, planted by careful labour.

Sun cannot ease it, though the moors grow warm.

Foxes killed her, and her milk spilled.

Or they did not. And it did not. Maybe

Farmers brought their milk this far, and cottegers
From the top of Luddenden valley left cash
In the stones crown, probably in vinegar,
And the farmers left their change. Relic of The Plague.

Churn-milk jamb. And Joan did not come trudging
Through the long swoon of moorland
With her sodden feet, nipped face.
Neither snow nor foxes made her lie down
While they did whatever they wanted.

The negative of the skylines is blank.

Only a word wrenched. Then the pain came,
And her mouth opened.

And now all of us,
Even this stone, have to be memorials
Of her futile stumblings and screams
And awful death.

Churn-Milk Joan
By Ted Hughes

For the uninitiated, Churn Milk Joan is a boundary stone above Mytholmroyd in the Calder Valley, close to Crow Hill.

Posted Image
Churn Milk Joan by 77gazza, on Flickr

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#3 Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed
  • Coach
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

Not posted for a while. This mad bloke was on the Great Orm today

Posted Image

Edited by Giant Hogweed, 10 March 2013 - 07:51 PM.

STUPID CUP WINNER 2006, WCC CUP WINNER 2007, SQL league winner 2008

SQL Stupid Cup and League Double Winner 2009

#4 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,953 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:31 PM

Middle Beach, Lulworth, DorsetPosted Image
IMG_6716 by Dave Pagett, on Flickr

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#5 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:00 AM

Some superb efforts already.

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#6 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:24 PM

Edited by Bleep1673, 14 March 2013 - 05:38 PM.

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#7 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,880 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

Middle Beach, Lulworth, DorsetPosted Image
IMG_6716 by Dave Pagett, on Flickr

beautiful pic and what a beautiful part of the world too - well done mate
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#8 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:28 PM

A lonely stone
Afloat in the stone heavings of emptiness
Keeps telling her tale. Foxes killed her.

You take the coins out of the hollow in the top of it.
Put your own in. Foxes killed her here.
Why just here? Why not five yards that way?
A squared column, planted by careful labour.

Sun cannot ease it, though the moors grow warm.

Foxes killed her, and her milk spilled.

Or they did not. And it did not. Maybe

Farmers brought their milk this far, and cottegers
From the top of Luddenden valley left cash
In the stones crown, probably in vinegar,
And the farmers left their change. Relic of The Plague.

Churn-milk jamb. And Joan did not come trudging
Through the long swoon of moorland
With her sodden feet, nipped face.
Neither snow nor foxes made her lie down
While they did whatever they wanted.

The negative of the skylines is blank.

Only a word wrenched. Then the pain came,
And her mouth opened.

And now all of us,
Even this stone, have to be memorials
Of her futile stumblings and screams
And awful death.

Churn-Milk Joan
By Ted Hughes

For the uninitiated, Churn Milk Joan is a boundary stone above Mytholmroyd in the Calder Valley, close to Crow Hill.

Posted Image
Churn Milk Joan by 77gazza, on Flickr

Good stuff.

It was cold up there last weekend...............

Other stones, poems, walks and photo opportunities are available in the Calder Valley.

#9 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:29 PM

Good stuff.

It was cold up there last weekend...............

Other stones, poems, walks and photo opportunities are available in the Calder Valley.

I know it was cold, I was out in it take the photo. :D

No poem, but another walk (or near run!) to get up for another slightly larger stone in the Calder Valley this evening. Didn't get up there in time to catch the light as I'd wanted, but took a few shots anyway as I needed to catch my breath before walking back down.

Posted Image
Stoodley Pike by 77gazza, on Flickr

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

#10 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,953 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

No poem, but another walk (or near run!) to get up for another slightly larger stone in the Calder Valley this evening. Didn't get up there in time to catch the light as I'd wanted, but took a few shots anyway as I needed to catch my breath before walking back down.

Posted Image

Your processing has left a halo around the tower, usually an indication that you have used simple selection with feather and then overcooked the adjustments.

#11 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:35 AM

Your processing has left a halo around the tower, usually an indication that you have used simple selection with feather and then overcooked the adjustments.

Thanks for the comment. It's trial and error work at the moment using pretty basic software but hopefully that will shortly change. :)

Please view my photos.

#12 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,880 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

driving over t'top from Stockport to Normanton tomorrow so hope to get an entry into this competition from that!
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#13 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:55 AM

driving over t'top from Stockport to Normanton tomorrow so hope to get an entry into this competition from that!

Ah, past my current location to my previous one. I'm sure you'll spot something on the way over, but I wouldn't wait until you get to Normy. :lol:

Please view my photos.

#14 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,880 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

Ah, past my current location to my previous one. I'm sure you'll spot something on the way over, but I wouldn't wait until you get to Normy. :lol:

I was hoping for wildlife though!!! ;)

Posted Image

#15 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:00 PM

Posted Image

Is Stoodley Pike part of the Pennine Way?

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#16 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,128 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:47 PM

Is Stoodley Pike part of the Pennine Way?

It passes by it.
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#17 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,953 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:11 PM

Thanks for the comment. It's trial and error work at the moment using pretty basic software but hopefully that will shortly change. :)

Depending on the halo being light or shadow you can use dodge or burn to help balance it, though that would be out of bounds for our comp (I think).

#18 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:51 PM

Depending on the halo being light or shadow you can use dodge or burn to help balance it, though that would be out of bounds for our comp (I think).

One to play around with when I get a bit of knowledge. I've acquired a copy of Photoshop CS2 as Adobe now seem to allow you to download it FOC as it's pretty out of date. I've also (subject to it getting here) bought a 2nd hand book about CS2 on the advice of someone at our local phoo group, which has cost me a whole £2.81 including p&p. Once it arrives, I can start teaching myself....

As for the editing, I wasn't going to enter it anyway, as I don't think it's as good as the one of Churn Milk Joan! I posted it on here with reference to the other Calderdale landmarks, etc comment from longboard. ;)

Please view my photos.

#19 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,953 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:02 PM

One to play around with when I get a bit of knowledge. I've acquired a copy of Photoshop CS2 as Adobe now seem to allow you to download it FOC as it's pretty out of date. I've also (subject to it getting here) bought a 2nd hand book about CS2 on the advice of someone at our local phoo group, which has cost me a whole £2.81 including p&p. Once it arrives, I can start teaching myself....

As for the editing, I wasn't going to enter it anyway, as I don't think it's as good as the one of Churn Milk Joan! I posted it on here with reference to the other Calderdale landmarks, etc comment from longboard. ;)

I started with CS2 as my first serious piece of editing software, it is more than powerful enough for an amateur starting out, get your head around the tools available and its up to you where you go next.

The important thing is to always remember its far better to get it as close as possible to being correct in camera than having to tweak laziness in developing later.

#20 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:13 PM

I started with CS2 as my first serious piece of editing software, it is more than powerful enough for an amateur starting out, get your head around the tools available and its up to you where you go next.

The important thing is to always remember its far better to get it as close as possible to being correct in camera than having to tweak laziness in developing later.

Exactly. The downside with CS2 is that it won't process raw files my camera, but I can still shoot raw, tweak them in the Nikon software then convert to jpeg to work on in CS2. Plus as you say, the more I work on my photography technique, the less I should need to tweak. Hence I'm planning on dragging myself of bed even earlier than tomorrow to walk back up to Stoodley Pike to get some photos in better light, hopefully!

Please view my photos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users