Barrow v Dewsbury

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 southsider

southsider
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:23 PM

brilliant result after a dour first half.

i remember a few years back, we had gone in at half time getting thrashed after a similar 1st half performance, and we came storming back in the second half to win the game. It was, like today,two different sides.
I asked Cresta what he had said in the changing room, he said that he had read them a poem. it was called " the indispensible man." (speaks for itself ) I think Holty must have found a copy today !!!!

The referee today was abysmal, he gave Dewsbury everything in the first half,but gave us everything in the second half, thank god.

Edited by southsider, 10 March 2013 - 06:24 PM.

#22 scrumhalf

scrumhalf
  • Coach
  • 968 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:44 PM

and not a dual reg player in sight

#23 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

Dour and downcast 1st half performance....absolutely brilliant 2nd half performance......Brennan and Dawson outstanding..... bossed their forwards....and Jones tackled his heart out and ran straight and true........ and Haggerty and Bull their usual selves. Mossop made a huge difference as well. Casey took a heavy knock early on but kept going and his kicking game was outstanding. Lee Haney had a great game at fullback as well.

The full side can take massive credit for the 2nd half tackling stint as well... all 17 of them...

Oh and Holty and the coaching staff well done ... the half time team talk mustve been interesting but whatever was said wow !

thank you everyone at CP.

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#24 scrumhalf

scrumhalf
  • Coach
  • 968 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

dont know if you noticed but we are off the bottom :D

#25 Bob247

Bob247
  • Coach
  • 147 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:57 PM

Well done Raiders you were brilliant today i just hope its just the start of a good run
congratulations to Liam Harrison on scoring his 100th try for the club

#26 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

A magnificent second half performance today. I am pretty certain that Barrow has never come back from a 22 point deficit to win a match. I can remember us overturning an 18 point deficit once to come back and beat Castleford (in the early 1980s I think).

As already stated we have moved off the bottom of the table and a win next week over Haven will see us out of the bottom two.

Out of interest 11 local lads on show today and no DR. I think that simply endorses the club's view that the coaches have the 100% backing of the BoD in building a competitive side based largely around players from Barrow and surrounding areas.

DR can go disappear where the sun don't shine imo :).

If we win next Sunday (and it really isn't a given by the way) then we are likely to be fourth from bottom with three DR devotees below us.

Posted Image

#27 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,789 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

Just in case Holty hasn't got a copy here's the Indispensable man

Sometime when you're feeling important
Sometime when your ego's in bloom
Sometime when you take it for granted
You're the best qualified in the room
Sometime when you feel that you're going
Would leave an unfillable hole
Just follow these simple instructions
And see how they humble your soul

Take a bucket and fill it with water
Put your hand in it up to the wrist
Pull it out and the hole that's remaining
Is a measure of how much you'll be missed
You can splash all you wish when you enter
You may stir up the water galore
But stop, and you'll find that in no time
It looks quite the same as before

The moral of this quaint example
Is to do just the best that you can
Be proud of yourself but remember
There's no indispensable Man

(by Saxon White Kessinger)

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#28 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:18 PM

Out of interest 11 local lads on show today and no DR. I think that simply endorses the club's view that the coaches have the 100% backing of the BoD in building a competitive side based largely around players from Barrow and surrounding areas.

:D :D :D

#29 dee46

dee46
  • Players
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

Thought danny jones was outstanding tackled everything and brad brennan and kurt haggerty were also brilliant come on u barrow

#30 mjc

mjc
  • Coach
  • 297 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:24 PM

GUTTED i missed today but had to work but congrats to the lads for an amazing come back and hope we can kick on and get a few more wins under our belt ! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

#31 Walney Bill

Walney Bill
  • Players
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:33 PM

A magnificent second half performance today. I am pretty certain that Barrow has never come back from a 22 point deficit to win a match. I can remember us overturning an 18 point deficit once to come back and beat Castleford (in the early 1980s I think).

As already stated we have moved off the bottom of the table and a win next week over Haven will see us out of the bottom two.

If we win next Sunday (and it really isn't a given by the way) then we are likely to be fourth from bottom with three DR devotees below us.

Keith,

If you say that is the case then I believe you....but, wasn't it a very similar score, maybe the same even, when they played the Crusaders at Wrexham at the start of last season.
Fairly sure it was something like 22-0 when they went in at half time and didn't we win by a point, maybe 2??
I was there but I can't remember what I did yesterday let alone what happened last year.

took me a while to find it but here it is......Barrow went in 20-4 down against the Crusaders and won the game 24-26.

So, like I said, no reason to not believe you Keith.

A great result......on both occasions.

Edited by Walney Bill, 10 March 2013 - 07:50 PM.

#32 off the wall

off the wall
  • Coach
  • 602 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

hope lads remember the sweet taste of victory, god knows we know the taste of defeat.
hope holty keeps the dvd of match and fast forwards the first half and shows the lads what they can do for each other when they aply their abilities to what comes natural to them.
they dont have to force the pass and panic just commit them selves 100% too the tackle and back up their team mates.
i was one of them who thought the first half was forgetable and didnt see a way back but credit to the lads.
i am one of those fans for 25 plus years will stand in the rain and wind on the pop side who will shout and rant at team and the ref but we all want the same thing. a barrow win.
well done to coaches and well done team . top effort....................

#33 alba

alba
  • Coach
  • 221 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:52 PM

Ive watched Barrow for many years, and have never seen anything like it, but its why we all go week in week out, there are lows, but the highs are brilliant, I hope everybody will now believe Darren when he says the squad is good enough.

#34 richie keay

richie keay

Tipping Comp Winner

• Coach
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:15 PM

hope lads remember the sweet taste of victory, god knows we know the taste of defeat.
hope holty keeps the dvd of match and fast forwards the first half and shows the lads what they can do for each other when they aply their abilities to what comes natural to them.
they dont have to force the pass and panic just commit them selves 100% too the tackle and back up their team mates.
i was one of them who thought the first half was forgetable and didnt see a way back but credit to the lads.
i am one of those fans for 25 plus years will stand in the rain and wind on the pop side who will shout and rant at team and the ref but we all want the same thing. a barrow win.
well done to coaches and well done team . top effort....................

To be fair off the wall, I bet there wasn't a single supporter from either side expecting anything else than a Dewsbury win at half time.
What in fact happened in the second half was nothing short of miraculous. Brennan and Dawson especially ran there hearts out along with Bull and Haggerty who had there usual great games, Jones, Casey and Mossop all had strong games too.
What we need to do now is to put in these performances for the full 80mins, and not give teams 22 points starts as we did today.
It's great to get that 1st win under our belts but whether the squad is strong enough to remain in this division still reamins to be seen imo.

Edited by richie keay, 10 March 2013 - 09:32 PM.

Posted Image

#35 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:39 PM

Keith,

If you say that is the case then I believe you....but, wasn't it a very similar score, maybe the same even, when they played the Crusaders at Wrexham at the start of last season.
Fairly sure it was something like 22-0 when they went in at half time and didn't we win by a point, maybe 2??
I was there but I can't remember what I did yesterday let alone what happened last year.

took me a while to find it but here it is......Barrow went in 20-4 down against the Crusaders and won the game 24-26.

So, like I said, no reason to not believe you Keith.

A great result......on both occasions.

I was at that game too WB and funnily enough never considered that one :)

Posted Image

#36 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:42 PM

Thought danny jones was outstanding tackled everything and brad brennan and kurt haggerty were also brilliant come on u barrow

I chose the BoD man of the match today and went for Danny Jones.

He was superb throughout (and has been in most matches). He reminds me of Nathan Mossop's dad Steve when he was playing for us - fit as a butcher's dog works all day for the team without necessarily getting the big raps in the press.

Posted Image

#37 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,966 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

I said the same thing about Jones on the back of the Workington performance. He gets through a shed load of work. Never takes a backwards step and goes in hard when he tackles.

He is definitely going to be a cracking player in a few years.

#38 Paul Ballantyne

Paul Ballantyne
  • Coach
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

Well done Barrow and really pleased for you especially as you dont use Dual Regs. Hopefully you push on from this. It is going to be a tough season for you especially when other clubs use SL players. But hopefully you will not just stay up but progress off the field as well and in the future be a much stronger club on and off the field.

I frelkin love RL fans... We're all brothers and sisters in arms together.

#39 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,049 posts

Lets hope the missing fans return for next Sundays big derby match ! I cannot wait ! What a turnaround !

Posted Image

#40 dee46

dee46
  • Players
  • 58 posts

Great minds think alike keith all the players can have the man of the match if they play the same way as they did in the second half

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users