Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Coventry Bears

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 616 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:00 AM

Oxfordshire, Gloucestershire, Hertfordshire

I would guess and hope that the plan is that once semi-pro they can pay local Union talent enough to come and play for them instead of their local decent level amateur club (not sure how CC1 wages would compare to say RU National League 2 or regional leagues). A lot of this may depend on the wealth of the backers, crowd income etc.

The Oxford model seems to be doing this combined with bringing established RL players down from the North. I

I know opinion is divided, but I fully expect Oxford to do much better than Glos or Hemel this year (will wait to be proven wrong).

#22 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

I was being serious Brooza! I know you pick up the odd player in these areas who are up to standard, but generally, if they have not been brought up playing RL they are not up to it. I have followed development clubs for years - Celtic Crusaders and now North Wales Cruaders and have been to watch teams like Ipswich Rhinos, Coventry Bears, Bridgend Blue Bulls, Blackwood Bulldogs and Cynon Valley Cougars, but players without a RL pedigree struggle with Championship 1 level. I think its great that Gil Dudson, Ben Flower, Elliott Kear have done so well but they have been playing RL for about 8 years now. Rob Massam and Lewys Weaver have been unearthed at North Wales and will both go on to better things but and a few London boys have come through the system but it has taken them 20 years of development.

#23 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 465 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:25 PM

*cough splutter*. I can assure you Hemel have absolutely no plans to base their signing policy on local RU players. They've been developing RL players for many years and will continue to do so, this year that Hemel raised core has been added to with some lads out of university and a few Aussies. If they finish in the bottom reaches of the division then so what? It's just the first year, the club will go onto bigger and better things of that I'm sure.
I would think the All Golds will be basing their policy on bringing through lads who are studying at the University. No idea about Oxford but they have enough money to do what they want at this level

#24 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 465 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:36 PM

*transfer news* Tobias Rochester-Bremmer has just joined Hemel from Coventry. How's that for a name straight out of the RL heartlands? ;-)

#25 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:14 PM

*cough splutter*. I can assure you Hemel have absolutely no plans to base their signing policy on local RU players. They've been developing RL players for many years and will continue to do so, this year that Hemel raised core has been added to with some lads out of university and a few Aussies. If they finish in the bottom reaches of the division then so what? It's just the first year, the club will go onto bigger and better things of that I'm sure.
I would think the All Golds will be basing their policy on bringing through lads who are studying at the University. No idea about Oxford but they have enough money to do what they want at this level

They have pulled out of a reserve team fixture against the Bears tomorrow as they haven't got enough players for two teams!
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#26 determination is the key

determination is the key
  • Coach
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

I watched twenty minutes of the Stags training last night and there would have been over fifty players there. There was about 25 with the first team squad and the same number with the second team squad. They played a second team fixture Tuesday night against St Albans first team where they won eighteen tries to one so its odd they aren't travelling up to Coventry on Saturday. They might not have wanted to travel since they played a game Tuesday night and have another one next week.
I don't think the numbers would be an issue as they are running a First team as well as a second team and an under 20s team this season as far as I am aware.

Edited by determination is the key, 15 March 2013 - 10:14 PM.

#27 determination is the key

determination is the key
  • Coach
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

Hornetto wrote

I saw Coventry a couple of times last year, as I saw Hemel a couple of times and they were very similar in standard. Coventry looked more of a 'footballing side', whereas Hemel were a bit of a 'blunt instrument', but if Hemel can step up

Hemel were a blunt instrument that won last season Championship LOL ;)

#28 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:35 AM

*transfer news* Tobias Rochester-Bremmer has just joined Hemel from Coventry. How's that for a name straight out of the RL heartlands? ;-)

Note to self. If Hemel get to SL don't get Rochester-Bremmer's name on my replica shirt. Not at fifty pence per letter.

rldfsignature.jpg

#29 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:02 AM

Note to self. If Hemel get to SL don't get Rochester-Bremmer's name on my replica shirt. Not at fifty pence per letter.

I can't be bothered to work out if that is longer than McCarthy-Scarsbrook
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#30 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:13 AM

I can't be bothered to work out if that is longer than McCarthy-Scarsbrook

I don't like Saints anyway ;)

rldfsignature.jpg

#31 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

You also had Clendenning-Fenton off us at one time.
There was never enough space on the team sheet to write their names
It was much easier to write in Joe Smith's name.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#32 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:22 AM

You also had Clendenning-Fenton off us at one time.
There was never enough space on the team sheet to write their names
It was much easier to write in Joe Smith's name.

I'll stick to Seitamata Sa in future.

rldfsignature.jpg