TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Why the Red Devils will be a success.

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,072 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:05 AM

http://www.guardian....reds-dr-koukash

#2 PREPOSTEROUS

PREPOSTEROUS
  • Coach
  • 682 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

I'm guessing that's a picture of a Sale match in that article.

Good luck to Salford all the same.

#3 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

lol...brilliant

#4 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

all thats missing....................

Edited by Viking Warrior, 11 March 2013 - 11:09 AM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#5 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

Lets hope the short sightedness of the game doesn't run him out of town! Lets meet him half way and increase the cap by £200k with a limit to what can be spent to non European players.

#6 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:32 AM

How about they start to walk before running.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#7 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

http://www.guardian....reds-dr-koukash

I just need to know how the salary cap is promoting mediocrity?

I'd also like to know how adding £400K to it will help anyone attract big name Aussies back or bring in top RU stars?

Of course if you exclusively allow Koukash a £3.4M salary cap for a couple of years he can offer to double the wages of anyone he's chasing, and nick them off their current clubs.

He can also stock up on the best juniors from places that actually do develop them.

All that money won't make them better players, but they will be better paid.

As for the "handful of other club owners who believe the cap is promoting mediocrity and thwarting ambition" I'd like to know who they are because no chairman I have heard speaking in the last few years is asking for the Salary cap to be significantly raise so he can create rampant wage inflation.....

Erm...... I mean buy in big name stars just waiting to be plucked from NRL/Union

No erm I mean........

Nope - don't get it.

#8 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

perhaps he should sit down with steve o'connor and learn how to build a club, before going for gimmicks.............
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#9 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

I like his speak. RL is now based upon creating mediocrity via a low cap - it will never work. We need an open cap based upon 50% turnover max and £1.7m min.

This guy will be like a breath of fresh air for the sport, if he actions what he says.

#10 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,281 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

perhaps he should sit down with steve o'connor and learn how to build a club, before going for gimmicks.............

I would suggest knocking on the doors of Gary Hetherington and Simon Moran long before considering O'Connor.

I think that Koukash is aiming at building a club to win trophies, rather than aspiring to mediocrity.
People called Romans they go the house

#11 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:19 PM

I like his speak. RL is now based upon creating mediocrity via a low cap - it will never work.

Could you tell me how the collective playing strength of our Superleague will be raised by say raising the salary cap to £2,000,000.

#12 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,099 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

Could you tell me how the collective playing strength of our Superleague will be raised by say raising the salary cap to £2,000,000.

Read between the lines, its not about a 'maximum' spend its about a 'minimum' spend. You're smart enough to work out where this is going.

#13 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:08 PM

I think the best model to follow at this moment in tarm is Wakefield's.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#14 MikeTommo

MikeTommo
  • Players
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:25 PM

It's amazing how many people think they know better. We've heard how we should follow Widnes' model, Wires model, Leeds, Wakey etc etc.

Is the Dr's model not just another way of doing things? He's not even started yet and people are knocking him gleefully telling everyone he's not going about it the right away. At least give him some time before judging him. If it all falls flat in his face and his way of things don't work then you can rejoice that your assertions were correct. If it does go wrong, what have we lost?? We were days away from going bust, Koukash has come in and saved us but he want's to win and he wants to win straight away. Is it realistic? Possibley not, but he looks like he's going to have right good go at it.

We need to improve in every single way we operated as a club. Koukash has been in charge for 2 months and we've never been out of the press, at least public exposure and attention is now on us. If he can deliver half of what he wants for us then were going see the greatest Salford period since the 70's. I'm 30, so unfortunately I've only ever seen dark times at Salford with sprinkled lower league success. The fact that we have a man who has a passion to turn us around and a genuine intention of making that happen sooner rather than later is a breath of fresh air.

Haters will hate as the saying goes.

#15 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

As for the "handful of other club owners who believe the cap is promoting mediocrity and thwarting ambition" I'd like to know who they are because no chairman I have heard speaking in the last few years is asking for the Salary cap to be significantly raise so he can create rampant wage inflation.....

The Warrington chief Adam Gatcliffe is quoted in todays paper as agreeing that the salary cap should be lifted and says there are a couple of other clubs who would like it lifting. However, he does also state that there are some clubs who want the cap dropping. He then goes on to say that one way to please everyone is to have a 2 tier SL with different salary caps. Of course, that wouldn't please the teams at the bottom because no matter how you dress it up as SL 2 or whatever, it's still the 2nd tier, and it means that the bottom clubs wouldn't be in the top division anymore.

The biggest problem we have as a game in this country is the lack of players available. The shortage of players is why we have teams like Warrington running round with 34 and 35 year old players who, not so long ago, would've been happilly retired by now. For years, clubs have simply relied on bringing in more Aussies, and now that conveyor of talent has slowed dramtaically.

I doubt increasing the salary cap by £500k is going to tempt the top Aussies back over like they did when the exchange rate was in their favour. And I genuinely don't think we're going to tempt many RU stars either. And if you start increasing the salary cap by more than that, well, some of the top teams now might start to struggle. Increasing the cap will simply inflate wages for a few - it won't solve the bigger problem.

#16 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

It's this that wrangles with me.
31st January, press conference

The picture was just as bleak and uncertain for Salford's players, as Stephen Wild explains.
"It's been tough," the Reds captain adds. "It's not knowing if you're going to get paid or not knowing if you're going to start the Super League season, which was a possibility at one stage, but there's light at the end of the tunnel now.
"It's not just the players and the coaching staff, but it's everybody who works at the club and the stadium. Everybody could have been out of a job.

2nd March

Speaking to BBC Radio Manchester after the match, Koukash warned that no one's position at the club is safe.
"I'm extremely disappointed. I didn't expect this. Things have to change and changes will be made," he said.
"Areas of the side need to be strengthened and we'll try to do that as quickly as possible. People will be given a chance and if they don't deliver, they'll be out of the door."

When asked if the futures of head coach Phil Veivers and his staff were secure, Koukash continued: "I will wait and see what happens.
"The whole club needs rebuilding and if I think someone is not performing, in any area - whether it is players, coaches, directors - I won't hesitate to make changes. I didn't come here to sit around and see bad games like today.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#17 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:07 PM

The suggested increase to £2.1m is not that far off from where it really should be.
If the Salary Cap had been raised in line with inflation from when it started £2.1m would be about right.
Increase the cap by all means but also increase the number of "club trained" players in the squad from 8 in a 25 man squad to 8 in the game's 17. That would solve the player shortage problem.
What Koukash apears to be doing is hoping to raise the cap so he can bring in the best quality players from clubs that can't match him financially. That's always happened to an extent, the reverse is to oblige clubs to develop their own SL calibre players and that why I suggest 8 from 17 to have come through a club's youth set up.
If that were to be done then he and others would suddenly realise that their own youth structure could be a massive club asset.

#18 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:36 PM

Read between the lines, its not about a 'maximum' spend its about a 'minimum' spend. You're smart enough to work out where this is going.

I've read it again and don't understand the proposal.

#19 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

The biggest problem we have as a game in this country is the lack of players available. The shortage of players is why we have teams like Warrington running round with 34 and 35 year old players who, not so long ago, would've been happilly retired by now. For years, clubs have simply relied on bringing in more Aussies, and now that conveyor of talent has slowed dramtaically.

I doubt increasing the salary cap by £500k is going to tempt the top Aussies back over like they did when the exchange rate was in their favour. And I genuinely don't think we're going to tempt many RU stars either. And if you start increasing the salary cap by more than that, well, some of the top teams now might start to struggle. Increasing the cap will simply inflate wages for a few - it won't solve the bigger problem.

Re 34 & 35 year olds, to a certain extent you have a point, but I would think the much bigger reason is the much superior understanding of sports science and conditioning that exists today compared to 10 years ago.

Re an increased cap tempting RU stars, well for sure you're not going to get the real biggies crossing over to British RL as the money will never match what is on offer in say France. Anyhow they might not be the ones you want to cross. I think it more a case of making a RL career more attractive to those players who definitely have the attributes to succeed in RL at the highest level but who can earn £200k pa playing RU against say £100k in RL at present.

Right now the wider perception is that there is no money in RL, and that if you want to earn decent wedge, RU is where it is at. To an extent that is correct for some clubs, but there are numerous others who could afford a higher cap and raising the cap to north of £2m would send out a significant message about the health of the sport. If a couple of clubs can't afford it and need to drop down a division, then so be it, not everyone can be at the top table in an elite competition. The RU Premiership has 12 clubs, seems to work pretty well (London Welsh issues aside) and last time I looked their TV deals and sponsorship deals were pretty healthy.

Edited by foozler, 11 March 2013 - 03:58 PM.

#20 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 371 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:04 PM

raising the salary cap is not the answer will only lead to more clubs in bigger dept and more going bust. What the good doc needs is time to develop salford academy mixed with some experience players I think the days of buying success are over . Look at wigan and leeds two of our biggest clubs but they dont rush out and buy all the top players.I thought that was one of the reason promotion and relegation was scrapped was to give clubs time to build.
Chief Crazy Eagle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users