• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 510 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:45 AM

113 at Gloucester

Was that in their business plan for entry I wonder?

Anyone at Red Hall care to comment?

#2 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 763 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:56 AM

BBC

Gateshead v Crusaders 228
Skolars v Stags 350

Hunslet v Whitehaven 375
York v Workington 510

Cold windy day long distances to travel, but its not great is it?

#3 Lakeside

Lakeside
  • Players
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:56 AM

Alarming really how can clubs in this division actually afford to pay 17 players every Sunday

#4 fillipo del toro

fillipo del toro
  • Coach
  • 257 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:40 AM

LOndon Skolars v Hemel Att 521
Oldham (and there thousands of fans) v Rochdale Hornets Att 518

So much for the heartlands RL
When the two Oldham fans chant "You must of come on a skateboard" i always thought they where having a pop at the Hornets faitfull, maybe not?

I think the NRC has had its day, its a very poor tournament.
Phil Bull.

Hopefully my post are viewed as positive, and I cannot be held responsible for causing any offence to anyone associated with this message board

#5 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 510 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

Although I share your views on the NRC, this is not an NRC problem. As indicated in some of the other replies the championship games also had very low attendences and for the second week running only one game outside of super league broke four figures.

But my main concern is with the lack of accountability of those responsible the this ridiculous expansion. What did Gloucester say they expected atendence to be, what did they base that on and what checks and balances were put in place to protect the other clubs from the financial consequences of being 'sold' another pig in a poke?

Given the rather large size of the 'touchline' teams now (subs, water carriers, physios, off field officials, coaches, assistant coaches), I expect there were fewer people watching than there were involved in playing the game.

#6 Number 7

Number 7
  • Coach
  • 146 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:56 PM

Remember Gateshead v Crusaders was an away game for 'both teams' it being played at HKR ground.
I'm sure that, that + the weather + Mothers day had a knock on effect. to all games yesterday

#7 AlwaysCru

AlwaysCru
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

I don't think it's the competitions fault, I think this year it's a bit more interesting with this bowl thing for championship one and the potential to join the championship clubs in the knock out phase...

In my opinion it comes down to the marketing of the fixture and how passionate the fans of the club are feeling at that point in time. I think in the main if marketed properly the newer clubs have a chance of a half decent gate based on be fact their fans haven't developed an apathy or disappointment at trolling round at the level they currently are knowing they had past glories.

It's a tough one ... But at the end of the day for Rugby League to continue to develop it needs to find new audiences and bigger crowds. The big debate in my opinion is whether those crowds would best come from more marketing and support to existing clubs or whether it should be put into new geographical areas.

The issue you've got is that in traditional areas it's a tough job to get people to come back if they've already decided they don't like the game or have fallen out of love with the club for some reason - and in new areas its a tough job to get people to sample and stick with a new team.

It's a thousand times harder in those new areas if the attitude of the new clubs is to try and do it by spend about four quid on players and getting a cricket score stuck on them each week. I think an new club that comes in should be forced as part of their plan to spend a substantial amount on marketing - say 50k or so, either finding by themselves or the rfl.

Doing that they stand half a chance but previous attempts at the 'if we build it they will come' approach have proved fruitless.

It should be 'if we build it.... Stick 100 signs up... Tell everyone 10 times... Go and pick them up.... Give them a free pie when they get here.... they will come'

#8 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 510 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

Exactly my point Always Cru. What exactly did Gloucester say they expected to have as attendence and how did they say they were going to achieve this? Thats all part of the business plan that will forever remain in the bowels of Red Hall (if there ever was one).

Unfortunately I dont think free pies wil be enough for a club in a community with a top union side. Why on earth such towns and cities were chosen I'll never know. Northampton collapsed before even playing and even Salford are down to 2000 now they share their facilities with a top Union side.

Please can we have some accountability for these decisions - from the RFL and from Club representatives who sit on the boards who oversee these decisions. I am thinking Gloucester coudn't have got fewer fans when they played in the amatuer leagues.

#9 PhilCarrington

PhilCarrington
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:19 PM

Exactly my point Always Cru. What exactly did Gloucester say they expected to have as attendence and how did they say they were going to achieve this? Thats all part of the business plan that will forever remain in the bowels of Red Hall (if there ever was one).

Unfortunately I dont think free pies wil be enough for a club in a community with a top union side. Why on earth such towns and cities were chosen I'll never know. Northampton collapsed before even playing and even Salford are down to 2000 now they share their facilities with a top Union side.

Please can we have some accountability for these decisions - from the RFL and from Club representatives who sit on the boards who oversee these decisions. I am thinking Gloucester coudn't have got fewer fans when they played in the amatuer leagues.

University of Gloucestershire All-Golds have never played in the amateur leagues.
Several of their players have played for the All-Golds in the Student RL comp.
They are essentially a brand new club.

#10 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 510 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:52 AM

Thanks for the clarification that they are a new club apparently playing under the same or similar name as a student RL team from the same location! So does anyone know how many the University of Gloucestersire All Golds got watching them in the SRL and whether that matches the attendence at the separate University of Gloucstershitre All Golds got for their NRC game?

Now back to the main point - what was the business plan?

#11 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 510 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:20 PM

179 at Hemel yesterday and that is a long established club just waiting for a chance to get into the league.

Anyone know what their attendences were when they played in the amateur leagues?

#12 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:07 PM

If you look around crowds are down everywhere in the championship with the sole exception at Featherstone Rovers; Super league attendances too are a cause for concern..4thousand+ at Cas 5000 at LEADERS Huddersfield 7000+ at Bradford; This is a long term legacy of having nothing to play for; Recorded attendances of less than 2000 at London and Salford; Fans are now losing interest and its time that a big shake up at the top is needed to bring about Promotion and relegation by possibly having 2 leagues of ten at the top with one up and one down with the remaining clubs forming a national league with promotion to the second tier;

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users