Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Under 8s new rules

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 lifer

lifer
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:16 AM

Was watching an under 8s game on sunday and i noticed a few rule changes,
No scooting from dummy half
No hand over after knocking on
no handover after going into touch

Can anyone explain why these rules have come in and are there any more that i missed...Thanks..

#2 robmac

robmac
  • Coach
  • 513 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

No scooting from dummy half been in for few year
the other rules are the new change to the game put i thought we had not started to use them in barrow yet
they were brought in by the rfl

#3 lifer

lifer
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

You could scoot on the last tackle at the start of the season, the new rules were being used at the roose v askam under 8s yesterday.

#4 robmac

robmac
  • Coach
  • 513 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

you could scoot but it was a turn over if you were tackled with the ball

Edited by robmac, 11 March 2013 - 07:28 PM.

#5 lifer

lifer
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:29 PM

Yeah that was right rob, why the changes mate and does it only effect the u8s or is it u10s as well

#6 robmac

robmac
  • Coach
  • 513 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

i think there trying there to make sure that 1 team dose not walk all over another

there is going to be trail of some new rules this year at a gala not sure on the full rules will be inserting to see them not sure
if i'm in favour off them put i'm not going to knock them if they fetch more youth to the game and kept them there i'll try find the rule 's and post them

#7 lifer

lifer
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

Cheers rob, just hope it works, general concensus yesterday was it spoilt the game a bit. some players were tackling others into touch and then could not understand why there was not a turn other like at the start of the season. does this apply to the under 8s only or are the 10s included in this?

#8 robmac

robmac
  • Coach
  • 513 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:02 PM

yea i think there going to play small side game with contact put if smaller player manges to get to hands on bigger player they will be held to stop the bigger player running riot there a lot more to can not rember them all been a lot change in rules at open age and under 8's and 10's to remember them all

#9 lifer

lifer
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

Thanks rob

#10 gary high

gary high
  • Coach
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

A massive step backwards. To much tinkering with the rules which will confuse the kids when they move up. We played BI on Sunday and both sides numbered their players up, gave each child equal opportunities and it was a cracking game. If the game is refereed and coached in a fair manner then there is no need for the ridiculous rule changes. Put some of these kids in a small sided game and they will run riot. The more bodies the harder to get through it becomes. Just my opinion but im opposed to the rule changes as I think at Dalton we coach our kids and referee our games in a fair and consistent manner. By this I mean that we offer opportunities for kids of any ability regardless of which team they play for. I have only come across 1 game where their referee & coach were happy using the same kids to do all the damage and left the less able kids stood around. Every other club has made sure that all abilities were catered for.

#11 lifer

lifer
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

Its confusing the kids now gary, they learn the rules in september then come march rhey have to learn more, then when they move up an age group its all change again for them. no wonder kids pack in and turn to football.

Gaz.

#12 gary high

gary high
  • Coach
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:26 PM

Dont need rule changes if the games are refereed fairly and the coaches are fair. Totally agree Gaz that it confuses them. My lad will have a field day in a small sided game which, imo, will do him no good at all!

#13 gary high

gary high
  • Coach
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

Hawcoat Storms Under 8's have a fantastic set up and our kids loved that game.

#14 egg on legs

egg on legs
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:50 PM

I still think that there is supposed to be a handover after going into touch, the rule states:

All infringements will result in a hand over to the non-offending team at the place

the infringement occurred except in the following situations:

If the ball goes into touch the restart will take place 5 metres in from touch opposite entry

point and 5 metres from the try line.

I think the rule stating that a set of six will be completed regardless of errors refers to knock ons, forward passes etc.

Edited by egg on legs, 11 March 2013 - 09:51 PM.

#15 robmac

robmac
  • Coach
  • 513 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:52 PM

At marsh hornet we believe it taking part that counts not winning it about taking apart and giving ever body equal game time all that training play on match day .
some of the new rules may benfit our club by smaller side games helps us to kept hold of players we seem to get 12 's then loss players due not having enough
to play games. the kids move to other club because we do not have enough this then has knock on effect every year .
so 1 of the rules may help our teams but still not sure about them . i total agree gary If the game is refereed and coached in a fair manner then there is no need for the ridiculous rule changes.

#16 lifer

lifer
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

Bump

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users