TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

What's wrong with Whitebank ?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 john in oz

john in oz
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

I have not lived in Oldham for over 20 years and many of my posts to this forum have been based on my always looking for ORLFC's results each week and memories of watching the great side of the fifties, Challenge Cup near misses etc.
I have read many posts about the ground that the club currently plays at, namely Whitebank.
I know that the club has had a somewhat nomadic existence over recent years in trying to find a "home".
I know where Limeside, as an area, is but I have no recollection of any form of sports "stadium" there.
Can any of you regular posters let me know what are the problems peculiar to this venue ?

#2 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 657 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:29 PM

Have a look at it on Google maps. It shows the rutted playing surface. It also gives you an indication of the speccies facilities. ie none. Add to that the slope which I think is worse than that at watersheddings. Toilet facilities in the club house are not bad but nothing special. Google maps also shows the proximity of the local houses. Don't be fooled by the apparent area of expansion to the east. That's the golf course. It does have potential, but not if we have Superleague ambitions. Oh and although sheddings was cold whitebank seems to have a cold wind coming from somewhere. Don't know if anyone else has noticed.

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot, 11 March 2013 - 02:31 PM.

#3 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

Whitebank is the Old "Pit Club" where St Anne's used to play. Putting my ultra critical head on. The pitch is uneven and slopes. In my view it does not meet minimum standard for length and only just makes the width.
There is no terracing which makes viewing difficult.
The only covered areas are like bus stops.
I believe there are plans to replace the original covered seating with a stand purloined from the Willows (Salford), also to put about 3 steps of terracing down one side of the ground and improve toilet and catering facilities. Although all this work has been mentioned. There has been no planning application as far as I am aware, and I suspect the reason for this is lack of funds.

#4 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

P.S.
Its our home.

#5 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 763 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:15 PM

Hiya John in oz, ground needs a lot of work, there was a swell of out and out enthusiasm and volunteering when ORLFC first got in this facility, we could see the potential...there is a particular group of RL fans willing to help also (Rugby Oldham) but try as they may, (and they have tried!) the club being run as a PLC and access to the financial state of the club or any meaningful dialogue has been impossible to establish.
Chris Hamilton the owner and prime mover since 1997 seems to prefer to run the club independantly and seems not to desire any input but his own, he keeps his own council so the buck really does stop with him.
He has made some shrewd moves lately with personell but it is a mystery how Whitebank will be developed, as saints says the playing surface dimensions are minimal and the RFL had to grant special permission to allow this ground in its present state to be acceptable, with expectation of development meeting"minimum standards" to be achieved to make "promotion" possible (presumably on some time limit) The area the ground is in is "socially challenging" and the stadium has been the recipient of vandalism, theft, trespass and arson repeatedly.
On the plus side, you are almost in the pack such is the proximity to the play, this is great and I hope this is retained, Its super for "banter" and yes I have indulged myself!
It wouldnt take a kings ransom to improve the facility in my view, nevertheless the constraint of "historical debt" and reduction of central funding and land ownership/planning issues have rather bogged things down.
The average punter is very much "in the dark" regarding any "concrete!" information on most things "ground" related so it all boils down to one person and what he is putting in place, hope for the best, but always be prepared to be frustrated and disappointed, that`s Rugby League in general these days it seems to be being run in a biased and rather haphazard fashion in my view!

Theres a good young team to follow and that will be enough for most fans, 100 per cent effort good team spirit, passionate coach and a work ethic.
A warm dry summer would be a big help! you are spoilt down there though I KNOW i COULDNT COPE WITH 40 DEGREES C

#6 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:15 AM

whats wrong with whitebank??

well when the pitch is levelled and a main stand is built....there'll be nothing wrong with whitebank what so ever....

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#7 Roughyedz

Roughyedz
  • Coach
  • 636 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:43 PM

whats wrong with whitebank??

well when the pitch is levelled and a main stand is built....there'll be nothing wrong with whitebank what so ever....

In season 2561 ......????????????
Posted Image

#8 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:25 AM

it needs to be done this season...

OLDHAM RLFC

#9 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:19 AM

It needs selling to developers to build houses on, the place is a death trap.

you guys deserve better

#10 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:30 AM

yeah we heard that about sheddings many moons ago....

whitebank has alot of potential,its more than big enough for a modest 5-6,000 capacity stadium with parking.....we just need someone to help realize that potential....

OLDHAM RLFC

#11 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 657 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

One person with a million.
Ten people with £100k.
100people with £10k. Or
1000 people with £1k.
That's all.

#12 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 763 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

One person with a million.
Ten people with £100k.
100people with £10k. Or
1000 people with £1k.
That's almost all...

"Under New Management!" That would do it....

#13 ruffyed

ruffyed
  • Coach
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:14 PM

....not sure how unless there is a mystery megabucks owner poised to take over ....last I heard there wasn't a huge queue....perhaps you know of someone eclecticsheep ...or maybe you are that person. Failing that we will presumably have to hope that grants are approved at some time in the not too distant future... whoever is in charge .

#14 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 763 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:05 PM

People more committed and passionate than I am have tried to discover the real state of things at this club, with a view to help/invest and failed, and I think we both know why that is, If you are honest!

#15 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:31 PM

he needs to open his eyes and realize we are'nt going to be where we should be while the club is being run,lock,stock & barrell by 1 man...

OLDHAM RLFC

#16 ruffyed

ruffyed
  • Coach
  • 124 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:08 AM

Not sure how passion and commitment will bring about the ground improvements ...its cash we need to carry out the work needed to the ground and lots of it . Thats why I posed the question in an earlier thread whether the new owner at Salford could point a few of his wealthy mates in our direction but still waiting hopefully .

Before the season began CH appealed for investors into the club and even said he would step aside if required ... you can believe him or not if you can stop laughing long enough but this should at least have given any potential investors the opportunity to test his resolve ... so where are they all ...if they have been refused access to the books why don't they go public about this .... we would then know this for fact rather than the usual rumour and innuendo and would at the very least put CH in a difficult position...or could it be that these mystery investors are just that ...rumour and innuendo ...well ???..

Would love to be proved wrong about this but somehow I think that I will have to continue hoping that we have applied for grants and they are approved soon.

#17 john in oz

john in oz
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:38 AM

Thanks for the responses to my original post.

In addition to those posts, by looking at Google as suggested by eclecticsheep, and seeing the pic on the new thread by Gareth Walker, I now fully understand !

What the solution is, I have no idea, other than a truck load of cash from some source, as yet unidentified.

In the meantime, let's hope that the team can produce the goods this season
40 degrees C for days on end is a challenge eclecticsheep but plenty of cold beers eases the pain a bit........not like the good old OB though !

#18 RunItOffAfi

RunItOffAfi
  • Coach
  • 247 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:22 PM

As with seemingly everything else connected to the club, the delays in developing Whitebank and the lack of any info from the club for us, who are after all the customers, only cause speculation and rumour, so here goes. If the club has applied for grants (mainly European) for the refurbishment of Whitebank, I know for a fact (I worked in the grants area for some years for Manchester Council) that one of the conditions is that a full set of accounts has to be produced for a number of years. In view of the fact that Hamilton has never produced detailed, published accounts, other than presumably for the accountant and auditor, this could be the major stumbling block. Only speculation but can anyone disprove it?

Edited by RunItOffAfi, 27 March 2013 - 04:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users