Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Can Comedians Survive?

In the Twitter age

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,969 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

Here's a thought; is there a future for comedians?

Why? Twitter/text jokes/etc

Time was that when you went to see a comedian, they would invariably do a routine full of jokes that you hadn't heard. Maybe you didn't like them but at least you hadn't already heard the joke. Even up until recently it took a while for jokes to go round. Now though, as soon as something happens any relevant jokes are all over things like twitter and within a day or so everyone is bored of it.

Who is then going to see someone like (totally random name here) Jimmy Carr repeat those jokes several weeks/months later. Also, part of other more mainstream comedians success (like Michael McIntyre) is based on everyday idiosyncrasies whereby people laugh and go 'oh yes, I do that'. Will people still laugh when they read the same things on twitter all the time?

I'd also include new bands in this scenario. I'm not sure how bands today are going to make it pay (aside from the huge bland artists like Adele or whoever) given the amount of pirating and if not that, being forced to give away music because it's what you have to do today?

Any opinions?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#2 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:35 PM

Video killed the radio star. Actually he didn't even wound him.

#3 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,969 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

Video killed the radio star. Actually he didn't even wound him.

Different scenario. That was meant to replace one thing for another but the message they carried was new. Video or radio star is irrelevant if people already know what they are going to say.

#4 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 749 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:53 PM

The Theater still survives with shows that have been around a million times, classic books are still read old music is still bought, in fact new music thats played on the generic 14-19 year olds pop type stations 4 times every hour is still bought.

Ok gone are the days where a comedian could tour the country and by the time they hit the same venue 2 years later the audience is either new or have forgotten the material so they could live on 2 or three sets of jokes for years. That is now offset though but the fact that these days the really mainstream big comedians (only a dozen or so) can make massive amounts by rather than playing in front of a couple of 100 they now sell out stadium venues!
There is always a new audience to good material, it is released in new formats and there always someone you have not seen.
Comedians may struggle, they may get more successful, who knows but it will be a way for some to make a living for decades to come.

#5 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:00 PM

Different scenario. That was meant to replace one thing for another but the message they carried was new. Video or radio star is irrelevant if people already know what they are going to say.

So everyone reads twitter then?

Just like the song, you ignore how people like to consume entertainment. Radio is as strong now as then and similarly comedians will be packing them into concert halls just the same.

For every pearl quoted on the internet, there's 100x as much ###### which is what puts most people off bothering with it.

Edited by Ackroman, 11 March 2013 - 05:01 PM.

#6 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,151 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

As Frank Carson said "It's the way you crack 'em".

I could read the sheet music rather than buy an album but it sounds better than it reads.

Same with comedy.

#7 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,969 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

We'll see then.

#8 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,969 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:32 PM

So everyone reads twitter then?

You don't have to, but you'll know someone who does or Facebook etc etc. The way people hear about things is pretty instant now whereas before it took time. Now we all know the joke before someone in the pub tells us.

As for the classics, they had the luxury of people buying them and/or decades of critics waxing lyrical about them to build up their status. Will this still be the case in another 10 years?

#9 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,850 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:46 PM

I agree with what others have said. Comedy is all about the delivery and timing, as well as those jokes you get on the night (ie. responding to hecklers, taking the ###### out of someone in the audience).

Music is changing and for the better IMO. It is now very easy to distribute music and monetise your work without having to get the backing of a record company. Services such as youtube and spotify allow people to easily discover new music and Amazon, iTunes etc. make it easy to sell. Radiohead earned more from In Rainbows than they had from any of their previous albums.
Fides invicta triumphat

#10 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,969 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:52 PM

Radiohead are hardly a typical example. And if you think everyone goes onto Amazon or Itunes to buy the music after listening you should think again. Up and coming bands are struggling - ask them.
And a comic could have the best timing and delivery in the world but if you've heard the joke before......

Edited by Johnoco, 11 March 2013 - 05:53 PM.

#11 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,850 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:58 PM

Radiohead are hardly a typical example. And if you think everyone goes onto Amazon or Itunes to buy the music after listening you should think again. Up and coming bands are struggling - ask them.

It depends on a number of factors, of course there is a lot of luck to becoming successful but there are other factors for example target audience, appeal, are they any good etc. The internet has made it very easy to obtain music for free, but also to put money in the pockets of the artists as opposed to the record companies. I buy much more music now than before paid downloads were possible.

I'm a fan of an up and coming Manchester band who have just financed the recording of their new album via pledgemusic and have released a 'pay what you want' EP. They get their money mainly from gigging as opposed to album sales and whilst I doubt they will break into the mainstream they are doing alright for themselves. Also, the internet has enabled them to gain a fanbase abroad whereas that might not have been possible otherwise.
Fides invicta triumphat

#12 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,969 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:30 PM

That's true Sev and the ease of being heard by a wider set of people is definitely an upside to it. I do that myself and always buy from the artists (I think stuff like Pirate Bay are just as bad as rip off record labels) Several artists have actually been declared bankrupt despite some success.
But beyond non stop gigging, making money from it is getting harder and harder.

I'll use an example from RL journo Steve Mascord I read on twitter. He said "its never been easier to be a writer or a journalist, its never been harder to get paid for it"

#13 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:24 PM

1. You don't have to, but you'll know someone who does or Facebook etc etc. The way people hear about things is pretty instant now whereas before it took time. Now we all know the joke before someone in the pub tells us.

As for the classics, they had the luxury of people buying them and/or decades of critics waxing lyrical about them to build up their status. Will this still be the case in another 10 years?

Fbook is now overrun by deluded individuals who consider their daily motions somehow worthy of comment. For a first time user this may be amusing, for myself today was the day to shut my account. Even observing the village idiots has had it's day. It was nice to catch up with my old school mates of '85 but unfortunately the class of 2013 are just as sad as they were then.

Twitter is even worse, just a short-hand version so even the illiterate get a go. Full of mis-information, gossip, bullying, bigotry, lies, defamation, child groomers, the odd joke and, if you're lucky, an amazing insight. I just don't have the time. Unless someone comes up with a definitive "you've been framed on the internet", I think I've done my time with social networking.

I've long worked out that my trusted networks are the only ones worth having and most of the people in mine have switched off fbook, etc. Sometimes good old fashioned funny people are far better appreciated in company than taking your jokes via text or twitter.

The other thing is that once the government gets it's act together, the internet will be useful for nothing but paying bills.

#14 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,062 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:36 PM

I don't think you could get most good jokes in a single tweet anyway. I wish there were more jokes on twitter rather than some of the inane ramblings my brother some people waste the infinite internet space with.

As for John's example of Michael McIntyre. I wish he went the way of MySpace.

Without taking this into the realms of who's poop and who isn't, my favourite is Ross Noble, and while a regular tweeter, his shows are 75% unique and is a great night out and set of dvd's.

To be honest, I'm not really sure I understand the question...

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#15 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,969 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

Just for Hindle.... Years ago an incident would have occurred, perhaps a politician caught with trousers down. Several weeks/months later comedian X is on tour making topical quips about said incident. Audience laugh head off, everyone is happy.

Now same incident occurs and within minutes/hours any relevant jokes will be all over twitter. Even if you don't use it, the jokes are already doing the rounds and chances are you will hear them, possibly via text joke. Same comedian goes on tour using same jokes....most people know the joke already.

To quote an old TRL legend: 'do you see?'

#16 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,969 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:04 PM

Oh and how many non twitter users heard about the Ryan Giggs story?

#17 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:18 PM

People I know make me laugh more than comedians these days - I love a quick witted reply/retort

Cas Vegas was ace ;)

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#18 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,062 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:21 PM

Ahh.

Those jokes are usually pub jokes and not really used by comedians, or if they are they are usually stretched into a mini-story, I can think of only Tim Vine and Jimmy Carr who are mainstream one-liners and most aren't topical anyway.

I dunno, I think twitter and has been around long enough and is used by enough people for an effect to be noticeable.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#19 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,850 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:21 PM

I don't think you could get most good jokes in a single tweet anyway. I wish there were more jokes on twitter rather than some of the inane ramblings my brother some people waste the infinite internet space with.

As for John's example of Michael McIntyre. I wish he went the way of MySpace.

Without taking this into the realms of who's poop and who isn't, my favourite is Ross Noble, and while a regular tweeter, his shows are 75% unique and is a great night out and set of dvd's.

To be honest, I'm not really sure I understand the question...

My problem with Noble is that it seems like a random stream of consciousness. Whilst he is amusing, his act isn't really clever.
Fides invicta triumphat

#20 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,062 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:24 PM

My problem with Noble is that it seems like a random stream of consciousness. Whilst he is amusing, his act isn't really clever.

I don't think it's ever meant to be clever though.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users