- - - - -

Manchester Rangers - future C1 club?

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#21 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:30 PM

try telling that to the many thousands of MUFC fans there - and now suddenly (wonder why?!!) MCFC fans!
Saying that though - I dont think a new semi pro club in Gorton would impact on Oldham rugby. Be another local derby if they're still scuffling along in C1 for starters

People in Oldham might support Manchester based sides at soccer but rugby league is something else. I don't think Manchester Rangers are suddenly going to become the new Wigan.

#22 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:31 PM

try telling that to the many thousands of MUFC fans there

By that reckoning, Bishop's Stortford is in Manchester, and so is Singapore!

Edited by Ponterover, 11 March 2013 - 07:32 PM.

#23 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:33 PM

People in Oldham might support Manchester based sides at soccer but rugby league is something else. I don't think Manchester Rangers are suddenly going to become the new Wigan.

Not suddenly no, but over 20 years or so, why not?

#24 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

you never know! I hope to see the mighty Manchester Rangers one day humbled by Oldham at a sellout Old Trafford Grand Final ;-)

#25 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:36 PM

It's possible but not likely, it's fair competition. But I'd bear in mind that Oldhamers could already go and watch Salford, Wigan etc but seem not to in large numbers.

#26 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 554 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:36 PM

And even if they did it would still have no effect on Oldham rl or Rochdale rl

#27 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:45 PM

It's possible but not likely, it's fair competition. But I'd bear in mind that Oldhamers could already go and watch Salford, Wigan etc but seem not to in large numbers.

Why would someone from Oldham support Salford? Those that have been lost to RL in Oldham are lost to the game in general, just like they would be in Cas or Halifax or Fev if their clubs had sunk to the low that Oldham currently have.

(not having a go at oldham, fine old club, hope they rise again and soon)

#28 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 554 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:51 PM

Why would someone from Oldham support Salford? Those that have been lost to RL in Oldham are lost to the game in general, just like they would be in Cas or Halifax or Fev if their clubs had sunk to the low that Oldham currently have.

(not having a go at oldham, fine old club, hope they rise again and soon)

Absolutely right imo,another fine club run by idiots in the past

#29 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:53 PM

I remember watching Leigh at Headingley in their championship winning season, they are now Wigans feeder club since the introduction of SL

Edited by Marauder, 11 March 2013 - 08:00 PM.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#30 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

There's a real dearth of grassroots RL in Manchester so the emergence of East Manchester Rangers is to be applauded.

Talk of a CC1 club is just plain silly. We've heard it all before and the RFL would be better served focusing on worthwhile grassroots development rather than promoting an unsustainable semi-pro club.

When there are scores of junior players in Manchester and a public outcry for a pro team then, by all means, go for it. But until then let's build the grassroots scene and direct any talent that emerges to the other local pro/semi pro clubs.

#31 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:00 PM

When there are scores of junior players in Manchester and a public outcry for a pro team then, by all means, go for it. But until then let's build the grassroots scene and direct any talent that emerges to the other local pro/semi pro clubs.

How do you know there isn't? (Insofar as there is ever a 'public outcry' for anything rugby league!)

#32 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:03 PM

Why would someone from Oldham support Salford?

No reason that's my point about Manchester.

#33 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 371 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:07 PM

fast track them to super league skip cc1 and championship after all we need them
Chief Crazy Eagle

#34 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:15 PM

fast track them to super league skip cc1 and championship after all we need them

Don't be silly.

#35 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 371 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:18 PM

Don't be silly.

I Was only joking
Chief Crazy Eagle

#36 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

How do you know there isn't? (Insofar as there is ever a 'public outcry' for anything rugby league!)

Somebody has clearly seen an opportunity, it's up to them to make a go of it.

#37 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:21 PM

I Was only joking

Careful, some of the deluded gang would go for an idea like that, same as the teams in the pipeline in anywhere from Moscow to Addis Ababa

#38 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:35 PM

What I do know is that there aren't any committed junior players in Manchester playing in regular competitive rugby league for local clubs. Someone with access to an RFL database might be able to correct me or identify scores of young Mancunians travelling into Oldham, Salford etc in order to play but I kinda doubt it.

At open age level there's one active club in Manchester playing in the entry level merit league and a couple more proposed clubs that haven't yet played any actual games.

I'm not pointing this out to belittle the work that is being done at grassroots level - it's bloody hard and frustrating and takes time and perseverance - I'm just pointing out that there are probably other more important things that people in rugby league development could be doing other than establishing a CC1 club.

#39 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:35 PM

There's a real dearth of grassroots RL in Manchester so the emergence of East Manchester Rangers is to be applauded.

Talk of a CC1 club is just plain silly. We've heard it all before and the RFL would be better served focusing on worthwhile grassroots development rather than promoting an unsustainable semi-pro club.

Totally agree, for some reason the RFL seem to want to build every thing from the top down
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#40 boro hornet

boro hornet
  • Coach
  • 783 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:36 PM

Totally agree, for some reason the RFL seem to want to build every thing from the top down

Mancunians ,East Manchester rangers Canalsiders all teams building and already working in the communities of Manchester
Success does not consists in never making blunders,but in never making the same one the second time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users