Manchester Rangers - future C1 club?

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#61 Bazz

Bazz
  • Coach
  • 285 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

A semi pro team playing out of Manchester with the Manchester name must surely get well supported by the Sports fans of the city.

I know you are joking but I have just looked at the Red Cafe forum and there is no mention of Rugby League in the Other Sports section,which shows how much interest there is among United fans.

#62 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,879 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

I know you are joking but I have just looked at the Red Cafe forum and there is no mention of Rugby League in the Other Sports section,which shows how much interest there is among United fans.

Is there likely to be any interest in RL in places like Singapore and India though?

rldfsignature.jpg

#63 Bazz

Bazz
  • Coach
  • 285 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:56 PM

Is there likely to be any interest in RL in places like Singapore and India though?

The old ones are the best ones!

Seriously though, Qatar is planning to set up a new Dream Football League of 24 World wide clubs and the Times say they are looking at other sports too.How about the RFL speaking to them about the World Club Challenge?

#64 brooza

brooza
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:05 PM

Seriously though, Qatar is planning to set up a new Dream Football League of 24 World wide clubs and the Times say they are looking at other sports too.How about the RFL speaking to them about the World Club Challenge?

I know they have teams in Dubai (Warriors) and Abu Dhabi (Scorpions). They contest the Emirate Of Origin
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#65 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:41 PM

To have the WCC in a place's like Qatar, Dubai, Singapore, Hong Kong could only be a positive for Rugby League.

#66 Bazz

Bazz
  • Coach
  • 285 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:07 PM

To have the WCC in a place's like Qatar, Dubai, Singapore, Hong Kong could only be a positive for Rugby League.

Singapore or Hong Kong would be great.

#67 Rob

Rob
  • Coach
  • 516 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:48 PM

http://www.mancheste...art-new-1741862

#68 Middleman

Middleman
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

it would be great if they adopted the old bellevue rangers kit colours, now all we need is sthelens recs to be re-born (please)

For those of you thinking that East Manchester is a strange place to set up a Rugby League team. East Manchester had a professional team during the 1940's and 50's called Belle Vue Rangers, formerly Broughton Rangers (challenge cup winners). St Peters RC High School on Kirkmanshulme Lane currently holds the girls year 7 and year 8 national champion schools titles, Uni of Manchester and Man Met Uni both play RL, The Manchester College has a Rugby League Academy and Salford City Reds have signed a couple of young East Manchester Players! Need we say anymore?

Posted Image

#69 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

try as I might I just cant get that link to open - all I know is that 'the time isnt right'. Who is saying that? I'm taking a guess and saying the bloke at Mancunians RL who wants to set up his own C1 club and suddenly finds himself behind in the race but I may be doing him a disservice

#70 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

it would be great if they adopted the old bellevue rangers kit colours, now all we need is sthelens recs to be re-born (please)

Agree also Manningham, Stockport & Brighouse.

#71 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:12 PM

try as I might I just cant get that link to open - all I know is that 'the time isnt right'. Who is saying that? I'm taking a guess and saying the bloke at Mancunians RL who wants to set up his own C1 club and suddenly finds himself behind in the race but I may be doing him a disservice

It appears to be an opinion column by Neil Barker, the MEN RL corespondent, and it's hard to fault his argument on this occasion.

#72 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

Posted Image

Having more grassroots clubs in Manchester is a welcome necessity. Having another semi pro club is not.

A totally unnecessary misuse of time, money and resource.

#73 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,879 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:15 PM

Having more grassroots clubs in Manchester is a welcome necessity. Having another semi pro club is not.

A totally unnecessary misuse of time, money and resource.

That depends on who's time, money and resources are being wasted.

rldfsignature.jpg

#74 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:20 PM

if it's not time,money & resource that was already in the game then what's the harm? It could be a boost for the grassroots clubs already there and give the momentum for others to be set up. It could provide a pathway from those clubs to the semi pro ranks. The new club would obviously,with or without grants, provide some sort of community role - getting the sport into schools etc.
As I'm on the outside of this and I'm not having my toes stepped on it sounds like a good idea to me. Taking another example of Sheffield Eagles - was that a good idea to set up or should they have waited until Sheffield had a thriving grassroots scene? And still be waiting now....

#75 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,879 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:23 PM

if it's not time,money & resource that was already in the game then what's the harm?

None whatsoever in my eyes.

rldfsignature.jpg

#76 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

I've never met either of them but you are barking up the wrong tree there.

This guy seems to think that established clubs have a right to avoid fair competition. He also seems to think that "money will be thrown at the club by the RFL" - unlikely I'd say.

#77 Rob

Rob
  • Coach
  • 516 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

The full link is

If this helps....

#78 Rob

Rob
  • Coach
  • 516 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:06 PM

It appears to be an opinion column by Neil Barker, the MEN RL corespondent, and it's hard to fault his argument on this occasion.

Sorry Pottsy, but got to fundamentally disagree here.

Neil Barker says

Koukash is a very wealthy man yet even he is struggling to set up a vibrant fan base.
Where is the support for a Manchester team going to come from?
And what about Swinton Lions, Oldham and Rochdale Hornets and Leigh Centurions?
They need support and financial help long before money is thrown at some new Manchester venture.

i.e. this excuse for a journalist is basing his argument on

a) Koukash 'struggling' with Salford - judged after just a handful of games
B) Money from the RFL is being 'thrown' at the new venture - I can't see this being the case, looks like a private inititive being facilitated by the RFL (and why not?)
c) The RFL should instead be giving financial help to some other local clubs - because they're 'traditional'.

Can't believe the MEN are knocking the venture before its even got off the ground.

#79 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:15 PM

Sorry Pottsy, but got to fundamentally disagree here.

Neil Barker says

i.e. this excuse for a journalist is basing his argument on

a) Koukash 'struggling' with Salford - judged after just a handful of games
B) Money from the RFL is being 'thrown' at the new venture - I can't see this being the case, looks like a private inititive being facilitated by the RFL (and why not?)
c) The RFL should instead be giving financial help to some other local clubs - because they're 'traditional'.

Can't believe the MEN are knocking the venture before its even got off the ground.

I think I'm right in saying the central grant for CC1 clubs is around 70k pa. personally, I'd sooner see that "thrown" at the grassroots rather than another semi pro club

#80 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:25 PM

http://www.companies...ue-club-limited

Formed last year, registered office in Oldham.....

Unless this is East Manchester Rangers though I think they are the same people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users