Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

add another one to the list?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

Should the performance given by George Burgess V the Roosters, be what we will come to expect from him as the norm, then his name will very quickly have to be added to the certainties to represent England in the World cup in October.

To use superlatives such as 'devastating!' is not my usual way, but for a debut performance from a young forward I doubt that any other would be absolutely insufficient. He simply exploded into the game from the moment he came on until he finished his first stint and repeated the performance when re-introduced in the second half again
Brother Sam, although also showing up extremely well was overshadowed by his younger brother, but looked delighted to be so, especially following George's superb try scoring effort prior to half-time.

The much vaunted hype over S B Williams was to prove something of a damp squib compared to that of both Burgess brothers and maybe made one or two at the Roosters wish they too had looked over here at the Burgess clan before splashing their millions, on what could turn out to be a case of paying out too much for a player who will probably not be the very effective one he was before his jaunt with the other code?
I for one was not overly impressed with SBW. Ok he tackled well and to his credit, although plainly struggling with the pace of the game kept going, but as far as being the one to strike fear into the opposition, well in that department he quite simply looked streets behind George and Sam also.

#2 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:50 PM

I've only seen George Burgess play twice, and yes - on both occasions - his running of the football was devastating. He has a different running style from Sam's - with a very high knee lift and genuine bursts of acceleration. One run and pass to a certain Greg Inglis running at full tilt in support was as good as anything in the game... Whether he has Sam's all-roung game remains to be seen.

I wonder if, as a junior, George was always seen as a hotter prospect than twin brother, Tom?

And I know it's on the wrong thread, but I want Tom Lineham in the England squad pretty sharpish as well.

#3 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:55 PM

You are writing as if talent and form were a criteria for an England shirt.
We have McNamara as coach and non of those factors have any bearing on his selection ideas.
Chase and Sinfield for International half backs should tell you all you need to know about the England coach.

#4 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,974 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:58 PM

I wonder if, as a junior, George was always seen as a hotter prospect than twin brother, Tom?

I remember one was regarded slightly higher than the other, but don't anyone assume it was George just because he went to the NRL first. Tom did well in his season and a half in the Odsal first team. Raw though.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#5 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,077 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:58 PM

3 posts.Getting better.
Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#6 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,974 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:01 PM

3 posts.Getting better.

I expect a new thread after each game he plays.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#7 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,077 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:04 PM

I expect a new thread after each game he plays.

Bored of people banging on with the same old tired agendas.

#8 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,974 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:07 PM

Oh, the "S" word. I thought you meant the resurrection of Burgii.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#9 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,433 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

I Agree with you, they're the boring ones...... Kevin is a legend of the game while some posters on here are bell-ends and jealous!!!

#10 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,077 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:09 PM

Oh, the "S" word. I thought you meant the resurrection of Burgii.

Nah,the same old tired argument using the same easy targets.Tedious to the extreme.

#11 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:15 PM

We have McNamara as coach and non of those factors have any bearing on his selection ideas.
Chase and Sinfield for International half backs should tell you all you need to know about the England coach.

One of the drawbacks of the game's lack of international profile is that the national coach is never placed under the kind of scrutiny that befalls coaches from other sports. I wish we could read probing interviews with McNamara regarding his selection criteria - identification and selection being for me by far the coach's most important tasks.

In terms of preparation and trying to engender a happy atmosphere within the squad, McNamara seems to be exerting a positive influence - but, ultimately, he will be judged on player selection.

#12 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,849 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:52 PM

I've only seen George Burgess play twice, and yes - on both occasions - his running of the football was devastating. He has a different running style from Sam's - with a very high knee lift and genuine bursts of acceleration. One run and pass to a certain Greg Inglis running at full tilt in support was as good as anything in the game... Whether he has Sam's all-roung game remains to be seen.

And I know it's on the wrong thread, but I want Tom Lineham in the England squad pretty sharpish as well.

Pretty much my thoughts. But Mcnamara has picked his side years ago.

Lineham is outclassing Briscoe. Is Briscoes head turned by the NRL I really don't know. My idea for Englands side now is potentially to go for an absolutely huge pack and put Sinfield and Brough at the halves and try and dominate the Aussies down the middle. I'm afraid this would meaning potentially dropping Gareth Ellis and Chris Hill and going for the likes of the Burgess', Eorl Crabtree, Graham, Hock and Westwood.

But expect JJB, Wilkin and Ablett and co to be in the starting 17.

#13 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,830 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:59 PM

Its a bit naive to think that the team is already picked. McNamara isn't stupid, he'l pick a mix of form and experience.

#14 Lionheart_merged

Lionheart_merged
  • Coach
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:19 PM

I remember one was regarded slightly higher than the other, but don't anyone assume it was George just because he went to the NRL first. Tom did well in his season and a half in the Odsal first team. Raw though.

I watched both brothers play at academy level together several times. George was physically much bigger than Tom. Teams really struggled to deal with George's weight and size. He was a beast of a lad with a decent turn of pace and a great offload. I think that he is now maturing into a potentially great front rower. He would have to be in the England squad for mine if he repeats the performance he had against the Roosters and I expect that he will.

#15 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,849 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:13 PM

Its a bit naive to think that the team is already picked. McNamara isn't stupid, he'l pick a mix of form and experience.

Aslong as they arnt injured 1 6 7 9 of Tomkins, Chase, Sinfield and Roby for sure. I'd put money on that.

#16 brooza

brooza
  • 4,244 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:55 AM

Aslong as they arnt injured 1 6 7 9 of Tomkins, Chase, Sinfield and Roby for sure. I'd put money on that.

Which doesn't mean George Burgess won't get in the squad

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, KĂžbenhavn Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#17 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:56 AM

I told my younger brother about this, to which he replied, 'Hey, I've tackled him!' Excellent to see a young British kid hit the ground running as he did.

#18 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

I have just finished watching the re-run of Souths v Roosters. Great display from him, the Roosters struggled to contain him.

#19 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:26 PM

Absolutely spot on and I could not agree with your comments any more.

#20 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

" You cannot be serious "!
Yes but and, I am sure even you would agree, that he is simply fixated on Sinfield and to only a slightly lesser degree upon Chase also. They will if fit be Englands halves and even should they prove to be under par it is very doubtful that either will be dropped, maybe he MacNamara, is not as you say naive, but he has proven to be pig-headed and as such firmly set in his way's.
Come what may his theory of a settled team and selection is a mantra he will determindly stay with, at least he will should his form so far be anything to go by.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users