Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

add another one to the list?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,099 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:14 PM

" You cannot be serious "!
Yes but and, I am sure even you would agree, that he is simply fixated on Sinfield and to only a slightly lesser degree upon Chase also. They will if fit be Englands halves and even should they prove to be under par it is very doubtful that either will be dropped, maybe he MacNamara, is not as you say naive, but he has proven to be pig-headed and as such firmly set in his way's.
Come what may his theory of a settled team and selection is a mantra he will determindly stay with, at least he will should his form so far be anything to go by.

Nearly as fixated as you ;)
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#22 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

Nearly as fixated as you ;)

Not by half!! Yet seriously can't you see that my point has some merit to it and, more importantly do you disagree with the statement concentrated on Mac's fixation, being correct?

I would be the very first to agree with Sinfield as an 'icon' in S/L he is, but I would probably be ahead of the crowd in denying that he comes anywhere close to that on a world scene. I am not being picky over this simply letting the evidence of many a game in which much emphasis has been laid upon KS's being the great player he supposedly is, only to see him once again not rise to the occasion V the Aussies or the Kiwi's, in fact, in most internationals he has played outside of those V European nations.
I do agree that all of his rep matches V S/Hemi sides have not been ignominious failures but those that have'nt are few and far between.

With Chase the anomaly is even larger, even V France and Wales his performances have left much to desire and yet Mac is and, I use the word meaningfully, FIXATED or so it seems, on this player come what may.

I want England to win the W/Cup in October and for that reason the best we have available should be selected in my opinion. Kevin has had too many chances to prove himself as the fulcrum he is at Leeds, for England and previously G/B, he has not done that and consequently my belief is that he is not the player that the entire operation should be centered upon. A different approach is
required, yet Mac is fixated quite obviously upon an Chase/Sinfield half-back combination, even though it has been proven to be at best disfuctional and most evidently not up to the standard required.

We have a good squad to choose from, forwards whom it is plainly obvious could this time prove to be the best around, our threequarters, though not at the same standard are at least competetive, so we need halves who can at least place some doubt within the opposition by adding something of a challenge, sorry if you believe that I am so fixated on this theme but I do not believe that Sinfield and Chase together, offer anything approaching that description.

#23 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

Im happy with sinfield n chase at halfs n think the more they play together the better they will become, we cant just change the halfs every other game. Im more concerned with Ablett Wilkin n JJB been in the squad.
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#24 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,099 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

Not by half!! Yet seriously can't you see that my point has some merit to it and, more importantly do you disagree with the statement concentrated on Mac's fixation, being correct?

I would be the very first to agree with Sinfield as an 'icon' in S/L he is, but I would probably be ahead of the crowd in denying that he comes anywhere close to that on a world scene. I am not being picky over this simply letting the evidence of many a game in which much emphasis has been laid upon KS's being the great player he supposedly is, only to see him once again not rise to the occasion V the Aussies or the Kiwi's, in fact, in most internationals he has played outside of those V European nations.
I do agree that all of his rep matches V S/Hemi sides have not been ignominious failures but those that have'nt are few and far between.

With Chase the anomaly is even larger, even V France and Wales his performances have left much to desire and yet Mac is and, I use the word meaningfully, FIXATED or so it seems, on this player come what may.

I want England to win the W/Cup in October and for that reason the best we have available should be selected in my opinion. Kevin has had too many chances to prove himself as the fulcrum he is at Leeds, for England and previously G/B, he has not done that and consequently my belief is that he is not the player that the entire operation should be centered upon. A different approach is
required, yet Mac is fixated quite obviously upon an Chase/Sinfield half-back combination, even though it has been proven to be at best disfuctional and most evidently not up to the standard required.

We have a good squad to choose from, forwards whom it is plainly obvious could this time prove to be the best around, our threequarters, though not at the same standard are at least competetive, so we need halves who can at least place some doubt within the opposition by adding something of a challenge, sorry if you believe that I am so fixated on this theme but I do not believe that Sinfield and Chase together, offer anything approaching that description.

To be quite honest,I'm bored of the "who should be halfback" argument.
It's more about the mindset of the English players beating the Aussies.Not asking them to sign players boots after games.Having a "hatred" of the Aussies,a determination to beat them and beat them convincingly.

#25 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

Tomkins
Hall
Cudjoe
Atkins
Charnley
Widdop
Brough
Graham
Roby
Hill
Westwood
S Burgess
O'Loghlin

Lomax
Hock
G Burgess
Crabtree

#26 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

Tomkins
Hall
Cudjoe
Atkins
Charnley
Widdop
Brough
Graham
Roby
Hill
Westwood
S Burgess
O'Loghlin

Lomax
Hock
G Burgess
Crabtree

Is this your Great Britain team?
People called Romans they go the house

#27 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:10 AM

Is this your Great Britain team?

Every single one of them English born n bred
Every single one of them eligible for England

What's your point! (as if we didn't know)

#28 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:52 AM

I thought Danny Brough recently made himself Scottish again
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA

#29 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

Tomkins
Hall Reed Atkins Lineham
Sinfield Chase
Graham Roby Hill
S.Burgess Westwood
O'Loghlin

Hock G.Burgess Widdop Crabtree
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA

#30 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:39 AM

Tomkins
Hall
Watkins
Walker
Briscoe
Widdop
Brough
Graham
Roby
S. burgess
Ellis
Westwood
Sinfield
Burrow
Hock
Crabtree
Farrell

#31 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

Tomkins
Briscoe/Charnley
Reed/Hardaker
Watkins
Hall
Widdop
Sinfield
Graham
Roby
Hill
Burgess
Westwood
O'Loughlin

G.Burgess
Crabtree
Burrow
Hock/Farrell
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#32 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:59 PM

To be quite honest,I'm bored of the "who should be halfback" argument.
It's more about the mindset of the English players beating the Aussies.Not asking them to sign players boots after games.Having a "hatred" of the Aussies,a determination to beat them and beat them convincingly.

Right your bored with the question I have posed and that is in itself acceptable, even though you decline to answer the question put to you why?
It is a straightforward one and a straight answer would be appreciated, bored with it or not.

As for Jacknife and his reply.
I would like to ask on what basis do you find the Sinfield/Chase combination one that has impressed with its displays so far?
Even during the recent French and the Welsh debacles, they were far short of being impressive together.
Consequently with just one or two more games in which to obtain this rapid improvement you are so confident of, this in order to shine against the best of Oz and Kiwiland, they are going to have to go some by my reckoning in order to gain such a mythical cohesion, one which they have been so blatantly lacking, so far.

#33 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,099 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

Right your bored with the question I have posed and that is in itself acceptable, even though you decline to answer the question put to you why?
It is a straightforward one and a straight answer would be appreciated, bored with it or not.

As for Jacknife and his reply.
I would like to ask on what basis do you find the Sinfield/Chase combination one that has impressed with its displays so far?
Even during the recent French and the Welsh debacles, they were far short of being impressive together.
Consequently with just one or two more games in which to obtain this rapid improvement you are so confident of, this in order to shine against the best of Oz and Kiwiland, they are going to have to go some by my reckoning in order to gain such a mythical cohesion, one which they have been so blatantly lacking, so far.

Actually ,I'm bored with posters who have one single agenda, whether it's this thread or any other.
You continually use the same players as scapegoats,even if they aren't to blame for a poor performance.It is and always has been ,tedious.
Yes,have Sinfield at 6. I haven't seen a lot of Widdop but from what I have seen,I don't think he is the answer to Englands halfback problems.Chase is too much of a liability at 7,with Brough partnering Sinfield,England have two excellent kicking options,that would keep any team guessing.
There are many players who haven't shown up in either the Great Britain or England shirt that have been given continual chances.Unliike other posters,I won't continually berate them.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 17 March 2013 - 07:16 PM.

#34 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

Hardacre

Briscoe/Charnley (and keeping an eye on Linehams development)
Watkins
Reed
Hall

Widdop
Tomkins

Graham
Roby/Lunt/Houghton? (form then the main denominator)
Crabtree
Burgess S
Westwood
O'Loughlin

Burrows
Hill
Farrell
Burgess G (dependent on continuing progress) Otherwise with same condition applying; Burgess L.

#35 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,165 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:48 AM

We constantly hear that Reed is off the pace, maybe even a one season wonder yet he seems to always get a spot.

Widdop got skinned by Watkins in the WCC which is enough for Atkins not to be considered yet many want Widdop straight in.

#36 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

We constantly hear that Reed is off the pace, maybe even a one season wonder yet he seems to always get a spot.

Widdop got skinned by Watkins in the WCC which is enough for Atkins not to be considered yet many want Widdop straight in.

Dave; Widdop has one item over most of the others: consistency and don't take my word for it, try Craig Bellamy's. If he did not contain that he would be out of the best club side in the world very quickly, seeing that he has played something like 80 or more first team games practically on the trot there I would contend there can be little argument with the statement.
That consistency must be of a pretty high standard to hold down a spot in the Melbourne side for three seasons also, wouldn't you agree?

Chase is not a player that can be given any such an accolade and to be fair, maintaining a spot at Cas does not quite compare with the record of say; at Melbourne.

Watkins went past Widdop on only one occasion in the WCC match although he (Watkins) did have a very good match in an attacking capability throughout and stood up more than just Widdop too.
Defenceively, well that is another matter entirely, there reference is made to him (Watkins) in all games not that match alone. Not to denigrate with that statement apart from the fact that: he will, barring injury, play in the centre for England, but his defence will have to be much better for him to maintain his place when he does.
However as he is such a very potent attacker I am certain he will be there at the start.

Reed is breaking no pots yet this time and as you say may prove a one season wonder.
But the fact remains that he is a centre who can provide for the man outside of him, Hall got two tries V OZ with Reed as his centre and the opposition did not gain anything down that wing either. I do harp on about it but a strong defender at centre is almost as essential as a strong attacking player and, one that can perform adequetely at both is for me a must, especially when others struggle to do that.

#37 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,989 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

How did George Burgess fair this week?

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#38 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,165 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

Dave; Widdop has one item over most of the others: consistency and don't take my word for it, try Craig Bellamy's. If he did not contain that he would be out of the best club side in the world very quickly, seeing that he has played something like 80 or more first team games practically on the trot there I would contend there can be little argument with the statement.
That consistency must be of a pretty high standard to hold down a spot in the Melbourne side for three seasons also, wouldn't you agree?

Chase is not a player that can be given any such an accolade and to be fair, maintaining a spot at Cas does not quite compare with the record of say; at Melbourne.

Watkins went past Widdop on only one occasion in the WCC match although he (Watkins) did have a very good match in an attacking capability throughout and stood up more than just Widdop too.
Defenceively, well that is another matter entirely, there reference is made to him (Watkins) in all games not that match alone. Not to denigrate with that statement apart from the fact that: he will, barring injury, play in the centre for England, but his defence will have to be much better for him to maintain his place when he does.
However as he is such a very potent attacker I am certain he will be there at the start.

Reed is breaking no pots yet this time and as you say may prove a one season wonder.
But the fact remains that he is a centre who can provide for the man outside of him, Hall got two tries V OZ with Reed as his centre and the opposition did not gain anything down that wing either. I do harp on about it but a strong defender at centre is almost as essential as a strong attacking player and, one that can perform adequetely at both is for me a must, especially when others struggle to do that.

I am no fan of Chase at 7 for England, I think he has lost his way since his MOS season. I am also not Sinfield's biggest fan, my point was more of a general thing that people seem happy to accept mediocre performances from NRL players, whereas they will jump on below par performances from English based players.

This isn't just aimed at you btw.

#39 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:35 PM

Goerge Burgess had another storming game this morning, his workrate was very high in both attack and defence and the quality of his work was first class. He did give a couple of soft penalyies away although one was a bit harsh, importantly he was clever enough to modify his reading of the game and clean up his act.

#40 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:17 PM

Petero im not saying im right or you wrong im just saying in my opinion chase n sinfield are our best half combo, IMO chase is the best off the cuff half we have n sinfield is the most organized an with a kicking game.

In the past 5years we must of had more than 10 different half combos were as the aussies have had lockyer n JT n they have slowly introduced Cronk. New Zealand have had benji n foran n also young johnson so as much as I dislike mcnamara been coach I actually like his thinking behind gettin a team n letting it full gel n im willing to give him the chance to try it.

If it work great if it dunt unlucky bring on the next coach with his theory.

Edited by jackknife, 19 March 2013 - 05:18 PM.

COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users