add another one to the list?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 439 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:43 PM

Petero im not saying im right or you wrong im just saying in my opinion chase n sinfield are our best half combo, IMO chase is the best off the cuff half we have n sinfield is the most organized an with a kicking game.

In the past 5years we must of had more than 10 different half combos were as the aussies have had lockyer n JT n they have slowly introduced Cronk. New Zealand have had benji n foran n also young johnson so as much as I dislike mcnamara been coach I actually like his thinking behind gettin a team n letting it full gel n im willing to give him the chance to try it.

If it work great if it dunt unlucky bring on the next coach with his theory.

That seems a strange way of thinking about things.

If Chase and Sinfield had developed a really good understanding and had demonstrated on multiple occassions that they were an effective partnership, then yes, I could see the logic in sticking with them. Does anyone think that this is the case? Because if not then it would seem to make far more sense to select the players who are in the best form currently.

#42 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:59 PM

I am no fan of Chase at 7 for England, I think he has lost his way since his MOS season. I am also not Sinfield's biggest fan, my point was more of a general thing that people seem happy to accept mediocre performances from NRL players, whereas they will jump on below par performances from English based players.

This isn't just aimed at you btw.

I never imagined that the emboldened part was but thanks for the reminder. ;)

Presently, although I am a fan of Reed compared to those that are in contention with him I too would be sceptical of his form and without doubt lacking improvement he would be no certain choice for me either, for as you say no better than mediocre in the NRL is not good enough for England either and unless Reed does improve his performances then someone, wherever they are playing would receive as much attention when selection time arrived.

Glad to see that Chase is not on your favourites list also for in my book he is a liability, a player who most of the time does not know what he himself is going to do let alone those playing with him!

On KS well my bone of contention lies with the a simple fact: he has had so many chances to prove he is the one player we have who is capable of marshalling those around him for the entire 80 minutes of a game Versus the best opposition that can be arrayed against him primarily and the team he is supposedly leading in general.
For Leeds in S/L yes without question he turns in that type of performance upon a regular basis, but! V the best from OZ and Kiwiland he has yet to display the same capability for me and consequently, goalkicking apart, Kevin I maintain is not up to performing the job on that stage that he is entrusted with.

#43 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,591 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:10 PM

I never imagined that the emboldened part was but thanks for the reminder. ;)

Presently, although I am a fan of Reed compared to those that are in contention with him I too would be sceptical of his form and without doubt lacking improvement he would be no certain choice for me either, for as you say no better than mediocre in the NRL is not good enough for England either and unless Reed does improve his performances then someone, wherever they are playing would receive as much attention when selection time arrived.

Glad to see that Chase is not on your favourites list also for in my book he is a liability, a player who most of the time does not know what he himself is going to do let alone those playing with him!

On KS well my bone of contention lies with the a simple fact: he has had so many chances to prove he is the one player we have who is capable of marshalling those around him for the entire 80 minutes of a game Versus the best opposition that can be arrayed against him primarily and the team he is supposedly leading in general.
For Leeds in S/L yes without question he turns in that type of performance upon a regular basis, but! V the best from OZ and Kiwiland he has yet to display the same capability for me and consequently, goalkicking apart, Kevin I maintain is not up to performing the job on that stage that he is entrusted with.

So who is the saviour of the English half backs then.Could he be from Halifax and play in the NRL?
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#44 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:16 PM

So who is the saviour of the English half backs then.Could he be from Halifax and play in the NRL?

Well if you really want to know: compared with the incumbents; YES. :rolleyes:

#45 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,591 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:22 PM

Well if you really want to know: compared with the incumbents; YES. :rolleyes:

i suspect he would need his clubmates around him. I've not seen much of him but what i have doesn't make me think he would turn us into World Cup winners.

#46 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:46 PM

i suspect he would need his clubmates around him. I've not seen much of him but what i have doesn't make me think he would turn us into World Cup winners.

Nor do I, but on past evidence, if that is what you are inclining to I would have to say: that neither is Kevin Sinfield and, especially when coupled with Rangi Chase.

Look we are being a bit childish with these comments and in reality we have differing views on different players. I would not be foolish enough to state that Gareth Widdop is the one man put into the England side that could guarantee us carrying off the trophy, far from it, but surely you too can agree that KS ( never mind the other one) has had his chances to prove his worth and as yet he has, sadly ( I really mean that) fallen short on delivery.

Widdop could do better, then again he could do worse, yet carrying on with the smae tried and trusted come what may is the method of the deluded and no way does it show that ht e coach is a progressive thinker over the game, I realise that he has set his stall out and wants a settled side, so so the Aussies, kiwi's etc, but their players have to a greater degree proven that they can deliver, unfortunately our old guard ( Which this is) has not done that!!

#47 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,591 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:53 PM

Nor do I, but on past evidence, if that is what you are inclining to I would have to say: that neither is Kevin Sinfield and, especially when coupled with Rangi Chase.

Look we are being a bit childish with these comments and in reality we have differing views on different players. I would not be foolish enough to state that Gareth Widdop is the one man put into the England side that could guarantee us carrying off the trophy, far from it, but surely you too can agree that KS ( never mind the other one) has had his chances to prove his worth and as yet he has, sadly ( I really mean that) fallen short on delivery.

Widdop could do better, then again he could do worse, yet carrying on with the smae tried and trusted come what may is the method of the deluded and no way does it show that ht e coach is a progressive thinker over the game, I realise that he has set his stall out and wants a settled side, so so the Aussies, kiwi's etc, but their players have to a greater degree proven that they can deliver, unfortunately our old guard ( Which this is) has not done that!!

As I stated earlier many other players have had many chances and not delivered.Is it down to one particular player,or the make up of a team.You are of the view that one player is the problem.I suggest it is the lack of depth in most positions that is really the problem.

#48 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:37 PM

You can watch Widdops performances when the 3 were playing SOO he was the stand out player on the pitch in 2 of the games. Widdop must be doing something right to be holding down stand off at the best club side in the world. I will admit he was poor against Leeds though, but that was one game and he was rather consistent last season.

I don't think anyone has a fixation on Sinfield, people just realise he isn't good enough and when he gets picked constantly people are obviously going to comment. Yes Sinfield wasn't the reason we have been literally no where near the Aussies since 2004 but you can't argue with people saying he's played poorly against the Aussies. If he can't control a game against who he's played previous then he's going to struggle against his opposition halves and hookers who are being dubbed the best in their position of all time.

Widdop hasn't been tried at international level while Sinfield has. Therefore people want to see Widdop have a go. Chase has been shocking for the best part of a year and a half now yet Brough who's been the best halve in the competition and arguably player in the first half a dozen or so games can't even get in a 40 man training squad.

Nobody has a fixation on Sinfield its just the halves which are the biggest issue which is why they keep being brought up.

#49 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:36 PM

You can watch Widdops performances when the 3 were playing SOO he was the stand out player on the pitch in 2 of the games. Widdop must be doing something right to be holding down stand off at the best club side in the world. I will admit he was poor against Leeds though, but that was one game and he was rather consistent last season.

I don't think anyone has a fixation on Sinfield, people just realise he isn't good enough and when he gets picked constantly people are obviously going to comment. Yes Sinfield wasn't the reason we have been literally no where near the Aussies since 2004 but you can't argue with people saying he's played poorly against the Aussies. If he can't control a game against who he's played previous then he's going to struggle against his opposition halves and hookers who are being dubbed the best in their position of all time.

Widdop hasn't been tried at international level while Sinfield has. Therefore people want to see Widdop have a go. Chase has been shocking for the best part of a year and a half now yet Brough who's been the best halve in the competition and arguably player in the first half a dozen or so games can't even get in a 40 man training squad.

Nobody has a fixation on Sinfield its just the halves which are the biggest issue which is why they keep being brought up.

Many thanks for that as you saved me the trouble of trying to make that explanation and, far better than I could have done so myself.

The fixation aspect is, as you say, not even an issue and the reasoning you make is absolutely spot on, so thanks again. ;)

#50 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:07 PM

Has brough not changed back to Scottish then?
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#51 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,591 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:08 PM

Has brough not changed back to Scottish then?

not yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users