Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Two tier SL on the way

• Please log in to reply
723 replies to this topic

#1 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:39 PM

Warrington CEO, Andy Gatecliffe, believes there is a way of pleasing clubs both at the top and bottom of SL. A move to a two tier SL - one with an increased cap of £2m and another with a £1.2m spending limit, with promotion and relegation between the two. He believes such a system is definitely on the agenda from 2015 onwards.
"I would like that and think it could work as long as you make it so promotion is achievable so its not such a massive step up"

That would certainly breathe some life into the sport and add a great deal of excitement.

Above comments from Gatecliffe taken from today's League Weekly.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#2 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:44 PM

Warrington CEO, Andy Gatecliffe, believes there is a way of pleasing clubs both at the top and bottom of SL. A move to a two tier SL - one with an increased cap of £2m and another with a £1.2m spending limit, with promotion and relegation between the two. He believes such a system is definitely on the agenda from 2015 onwards.
"I would like that and think it could work as long as you make it so promotion is achievable so its not such a massive step up"

That would certainly breathe some life into the sport and add a great deal of excitement.

Above comments from Gatecliffe taken from today's League Weekly.

If feasible financially (and I remain to be convinced that the cash is there either at the clubs or Sky to finance this) it would be easily the best option, with a yearly licensed 'election' from whichever tier is below - top 1 or 2 apply if they meet criteria, not necessarily to replace a failing club in SL2
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#3 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 517 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:47 PM

Would the ten SL1 clubs really allow £4.8m? to go out of there league?

#4 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:54 PM

Again, another case of the "haves" dictating the ways and means of the game. I wonder if Gatcliffe would have been so supportive of a two-tier system 10 years ago when the Wire weren't near the top of the tree*. Everyone will be up for it, providing they are in the top Super League.

(*assuming Gatcliffe was at Warrington back then, I don't know but I do know TRLers would be quick to point it out if he wasn't)

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#5 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:58 PM

Sounds like a silly idea to me..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#6 DAZROVER1985

DAZROVER1985
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

Hope this happens with 2 up 2 down get a bit of variety in the leagues

#7 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:05 PM

But won't the gap in funding just make it the same few teams up and down each year? After all if the two teams promoted can pay the higher cap, why aren't they there in the first place? I reckon it would add variety by diluting the bottom yo-yo teams who can't quite compete with the full cap over and over again. Unless I'm missing something...!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#8 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,435 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:08 PM

But won't the gap in funding just make it the same few teams up and down each year? After all if the two teams promoted can pay the higher cap, why aren't they there in the first place? I reckon it would add variety by diluting the bottom yo-yo teams who can't quite compete with the full cap over and over again. Unless I'm missing something...!

My thoughts exactly.It will be back to the old days.£800,000 is a lot of money to find for most clubs.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#9 DAZROVER1985

DAZROVER1985
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:11 PM

Maybe it would but untill something different is done we will never know, u never know someone like a Leeds or saints culd av a poor year and get relegated

#10 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:11 PM

Gatcliffe is out of order, Warrington are in a healthy position (on and off the field ) and he has no right to make a suggestion.

FFS - all the clubs are taking about it, not just Gatcliffe, they'll have a chance to vote!!!!!!

#11 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,435 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:15 PM

Maybe it would but untill something different is done we will never know, u never know someone like a Leeds or saints culd av a poor year and get relegated

Clubs like Leeds and Saints will have that money if they do get relegated and then promoted,could the same be said of other clubs?
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#12 DAZROVER1985

DAZROVER1985
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

Clubs like Leeds and Saints will have that money if they do get relegated and then promoted,could the same be said of other clubs?

maybe not but at the moment the poor clubs are just plodding along at the bottom of superleague at least with a division below they will find there right level

#13 DAZROVER1985

DAZROVER1985
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

Although I'm being selfish because I wuld want fev to be in super league 2, but it could also be a good idea

#14 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:26 PM

Gatcliffe is out of order, Warrington are in a healthy position (on and off the field ) and he has no right to make a suggestion.

FFS - all the clubs are taking about it, not just Gatcliffe, they'll have a chance to vote!!!!!!

I was trying to generalise the best I could, whilst using the example of Gatcliffe provided. I've no doubt McMannus will also raise the issue in agreement a days from now. And now we can add Koukash, except he'd want to be in the top tier. Go back 6 months and this would be unthinkable. And I don't even know where my team would fit, we're not rich but (without unearthing old feelings) hopefully on a keel of self sufficiency from now.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#15 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:27 PM

What's the point of having a 2 tier super league? everyone will just regard the second tier as division 2......so why not cut BS, call a spade-a-spade etc and call for a reduction in the no. of clubs in super league

#16 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

What's the point of having a 2 tier super league? everyone will just regard the second tier as division 2......so why not cut BS, call a spade-a-spade etc and call for a reduction in the no. of clubs in super league

I can see why, to bridge the gap between the two competitions.

That's my perfect world theory anyway.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#17 timhammonds

timhammonds
  • Coach
  • 168 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:32 PM

Although I'm being selfish because I wuld want fev to be in super league 2, but it could also be a good idea

So after all their efforts Fev would still not be in the top teer.

#18 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:34 PM

I can see why, to bridge the gap between the two competitions.

That's my perfect world theory anyway.

oh right, sort of like the way a division 2 bridges the gap between division 1 and 3 then?

#19 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,200 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:41 PM

So after all their efforts Fev would still not be in the top teer.

At least their chance of promotion would be in their own hands not the RFL's.

#20 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:41 PM

I was trying to generalise the best I could, whilst using the example of Gatcliffe provided. I've no doubt McMannus will also raise the issue in agreement a days from now. And now we can add Koukash, except he'd want to be in the top tier. Go back 6 months and this would be unthinkable. And I don't even know where my team would fit, we're not rich but (without unearthing old feelings) hopefully on a keel of self sufficiency from now.

IIRC this was discussed 6 months ago, just after the Bulls issues.... No Dig ( I Promise you, I'm changed in attitude towards you guys)

Our biggest problem we have no ff-ing sponsors, our game is a joke at present with some fantastic clubs and wonderful players for once.