Two tier SL on the way

• Please log in to reply
723 replies to this topic

#21 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:41 PM

Would it be crazy for p&R between SL2 and the championship? 1 straight up and down then a playoff with the second lowest team in SL2 joining 2-5 in the championship, like what used to be with NL1 and NL2.
As I think most people reckon Featherstone could give challenge, if not beat, some of the lower SL teams. And if a championship can beat the SL2 team in the playoffs then surely they can compete if they were to be promoted?

It's time to park the camels.

2014 SQL League Leader

2014 SQL Grand Stupid Champion

#22 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:42 PM

I would prefer a 12 team SL and a 12 team SL2, with the second tier getting perhaps half of SL funding. This will mean the second tier cannot be totally full time player wise (some full time, some part time players) but could at least operate full time behind the scenes. This is key.

However I do think that part of the funding should be partitioned for a full time academy and backroom staff/marketing in SL2 so clubs dont spend all their cash on first team players. Therefore promoted teams can dip into their fill time youth easily

#23 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,163 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:42 PM

oh right, sort of like the way a division 2 bridges the gap between division 1 and 3 then?

Yeh I guess so. But all this is mainly about is for the top teams to i) get more money, and ii) get rid of the poor teams and take their best players they can no longer afford.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#24 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,163 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:44 PM

IIRC this was discussed 6 months ago, just after the Bulls issues.... No Dig ( I Promise you, I'm changed in attitude towards you guys)

Our biggest problem we have no ff-ing sponsors, our game is a joke at present with some fantastic clubs and wonderful players for once.

Yeah I remember it too, the top sides all had a say. My point is though, 10 years ago Wire wouldn't be in, 5 years ago Catalan and Widnes wouldn't be in, 1 year ago Salford wouldn't be in. Times change, situations change and it's only those at the top at this moment in tarm who get to really makes those decisions.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#25 DAZROVER1985

DAZROVER1985
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:47 PM

So after all their efforts Fev would still not be in the top teer.

yes but they culd then get promoted to the top league

#26 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,640 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:54 PM

Yeah I remember it too, the top sides all had a say. My point is though, 10 years ago Wire wouldn't be in, 5 years ago Catalan and Widnes wouldn't be in, 1 year ago Salford wouldn't be in. Times change, situations change and it's only those at the top at this moment in tarm who get to really makes those decisions.

This is always been the case, just the names / clubs have changed..... Im not sure if its good or bad for the game....... we need a sponsor first.

#27 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 555 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

Surely it would be better for the sport to have 6 more pro clubs?

Edited by jpmc, 11 March 2013 - 09:58 PM.

#28 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,035 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

Who would the extra 6 clubs be? The top 6 Championship clubs? Or would it be licensed so the top 20 licenses are picked and go from there?
Posted Image

#29 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:58 PM

So you'd need a licence/franchise to be in tier 2, effectively playing part-time?

#30 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 555 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:04 PM

So you'd need a licence/franchise to be in tier 2, effectively playing part-time?

Seeing whats going on in the championship at the moment,i'd bring licensing in now

#31 timhammonds

timhammonds
  • Coach
  • 168 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:10 PM

Yeh I guess so. But all this is mainly about is for the top teams to i) get more money, and ii) get rid of the poor teams and take their best players they can no longer afford.

This is the crux of the matter, those who want SL2 to get half of the funding are missing the point
the top teams would not want to play each other 3 times a season for the same money as if they played in a 14 team league home and away against
strong and week teams, they would want more money without the weaker teams getting as equal a share as them
and would Sky pay money for the TV coverage of SL2 or would Premier sports pick it up for a song instead of the championship which would be broken up and the lower half merged with Cc1?

#32 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:14 PM

or perhaps it's new name, Super League 3

#33 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:35 PM

But won't the gap in funding just make it the same few teams up and down each year? After all if the two teams promoted can pay the higher cap, why aren't they there in the first place? I reckon it would add variety by diluting the bottom yo-yo teams who can't quite compete with the full cap over and over again. Unless I'm missing something...!

I suggest adding a team and dividing SL into three leagues of five teams. Promotion and relegation would take place every six moths.

That would add variety.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#34 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,892 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:42 PM

I suggest adding a team and dividing SL into three leagues of five teams. Promotion and relegation would take place every six moths.

That would add variety.

Good idea. Three up, three down.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#35 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:51 PM

Hit the nail on the head, the bottom of the pile get squeezed out, their little bit of corn will then go to the Super League2 clubs (who can't get promoted to Super League) this opens up for the Super League to up their cap a little to keep the top 4 or 5 teams happy. (Brian Clough once replied when asked by a very excited reporter what he thought about the new Premier League "It's the old first division isn't it")
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#36 manofthematch

manofthematch
  • Coach
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:40 AM

By my reckoning the North West Mens Premier Division could become Super League 8 (North-West Conference) :rolleyes: :ph34r: :rolleyes:

#37 R L Winger

R L Winger
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:33 AM

I think it is the way to go as well. The NRL in Australia should consider looking down this road as well by bring in another 8 teams with a 2 tiered comp, with 12 teams each in it.

Maybe in 20 to 50 years when it takes around 2 hours to travel between England and Australia there will be a 3 tiered world comp involving Australia, New Zealand, UK, France, USA, Canada, Italy, Germany, Russia and current rugby league minion countries where between now and then the game grows at a rapid rate.
Posted Image

#38 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,882 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:33 AM

Two equal conferences of ten with cross conference playoffs to decide the ultimate champion.Conference make ups could change each season depending on chosen criteria.

Edited by deluded pom?, 12 March 2013 - 06:35 AM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#39 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,509 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:38 AM

Warrington CEO, Andy Gatecliffe, believes there is a way of pleasing clubs both at the top and bottom of SL.

I'm for anything radical and exciting like this. just a few questions............

1. Anyone care to suggest the 20 chosen clubs??

2. Once we have a 20 what about the clubs outside this? Is it the end for several clubs? Is it the end of pro RL in West Cumbria for instance?

3. What about the clubs in the second tier of SL facing a need to turn over five or six million (two million of which is wages) if promoted to survive in SL1?

What about them needing to find money and crowds when (let's take Bradford or Wakefield for example if they were in SL2) they lose fixtures against Leeds, Wigan, Saints and instead are playing Barrow, Dewsbury and Batley?

4. Would this be the end of London for sure?

Could Toulouse do anything playing SL2

How would Catalans cope with SL2

5. Why would SKY bother to subsidise SL2, do they want the "Big games" only??

Given P & R has proved to be a turnoff how will crowds go for say the bottom SL club getting beat every week?

#40 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,950 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:00 AM

Was wondering about the clubs myself Parky.

I came up with this wild and potentially way off the mark speculation on the back of a fag packet;
- 14 Existing Super League clubs
- Championship clubs not in a formal duel reg agreement last count I made this 5 but I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong – no offence intended. (Barrow, Leigh, Sheffield, Halifax and Featherstone)
- An extra French side.

Wondering into the realms of really wild unfounded speculation if you needed to replace any of the above then I guess you could perhaps include one of the new expansion teams, perhaps Oxford or a resurrection of a Welsh side at this level. Not saying this is underpinned by anything logical and no I don’t have a 1500 word summary of a business plan I could post to underpin either!

Personally I hate the term “Super League 2”. But perhaps this is the draw bridge were by the P&R debate can be driven so far down the pyramid that few voices are left calling for it from SL2 to Championship/Division 3 (Call it what you will!) and it’ll be coming from clubs no dependent on higher level clubs via the duel reg system meaning until they break free of that the perfect excuse exists to turn them down with no further explanation required.

Not against it in principle, but have reservations about how you fund it unless Sky/TV Partner stump up serious cash and would still have reservations that even then its subject to change every TV negotiation. Also have reservations about 10 teams league, but to suggest any more would be fanciful given the clubs currently at our disposal, but I fail to come up with a format that I'd find interesting given the scope for repeat fixtures in the regular season, cup and play-offs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users