Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Two tier SL on the way

• Please log in to reply
723 replies to this topic

#521 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,145 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:13 AM

If we did have the two leagues of ten who would make up the second tier . Would you sick with heartland clubs or would you risk having exspansion clubs. Would you have featherstone or risk south wales . We could risk the two welsh teams in there along with toulouse maybe even bring in the skolars to give london two clubs or do we just fill it with heartland clubs.

How about putting the ten strongest teams in SL1 and then the next ten in SL2?

Just a thought.

#522 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,586 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:31 AM

How about putting the ten strongest teams in SL1 and then the next ten in SL2?

Just a thought.

you mean like this??

super league...salary cap £1.65m

1.wigan
2.warrington
3.st helens
4.bradford
5.leeds
6.hull fc
7.hull kr
8.london
9.catalan
10. huddersfield

super league "two" salary cap £1m....
1.castleford
2.wakefield
3.widnes
4.salford
5.halifax
6.sheffield
7.featherstone
8.leigh
9.batley
10.dewsbury

championship salary cap £500k

1.hunslet
2.doncaster
3.swinton
4.whitehaven
5.york
6.workington
7.keighley
8.barrow
9.oldham
10.NW crusaders
11.south wales
12. rochdale
13. gateshead
14. london skolars

championship 1 (developement league)

1. hemel
2. coventry
3. Edinburgh
4. oxford
5. gloucestershire
6. manchester rangers
7. a n other
8. a n other
9. a n other
10. a n other

one up one down promotion & relegation between all leagues.....or.....a last place v first place "play off game" ie 10th team in super league v 1st placed in super league "two"

thats what id do

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#523 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

you mean like this??

Yes but the team in SL2 would be at a disadvantage straight away if they had a play off game against the bottom of SL1 because of the salary cap. One up one down simples.

#524 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,614 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:50 AM

What do you mean by "strongest" ?

Measured by what ?
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#525 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:00 AM

The key to a SL structure is MINIMUM salary spend, if you can't afford to spend it you shouldn't be in it. £2m SL1 and £1m SL2. Max should be with a caveat that the clubs books are balanced at the end of that season via share purchase not loans.

#526 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 364 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

you mean like this??

why have 14 in championship one why not have four leagues of ten ?
Chief Crazy Eagle

#527 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,614 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

The key to a SL structure is MINIMUM salary spend, if you can't afford to spend it you shouldn't be in it. £2m SL1 and £1m SL2. Max should be with a caveat that the clubs books are balanced at the end of that season via share purchase not loans.

Share purchase ? :mellow: Not always possible, depending on the company's structure. But I agree it shouldn't just be a loan. Loans are the bain of professional sport these days.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#528 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

Some rather good ideas for what it will look like.

#529 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,935 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

Its a well known fact by the money people at both clubs that it is preferable for each if the other does well..Parky is way off on this one..

Hulls average attendance shot up by 4000 in 2007 the year Rovers started in SL...

In that year Hull came into the season off the back being Grand Finalists at Old Trafford.

Taking HKR out of the equation they attracted an average crowd of 13,000 in 2007 in any case.

Today HKR provide a big crowd that lifts Hull's average from 11,000 to 11,600.

I'd suggest the money men would prefer a successful Hull on 13,000 crowds and climbing.

Maybe your well known fact is a myth!!.

#530 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 5,990 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:36 PM

So clubs wouldn't be able to build any infrastructure unless they have a sugar daddy to pay for it. Not all debt is a bad thing.

#531 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:53 PM

one important factor has been overlooked by the post office road mafia,...........................................sky tv will not allow it to happen and they call the shots.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#532 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:01 AM

the post office road mafia

:lol:

#533 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,586 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:21 AM

why have 14 in championship one why not have four leagues of ten ?

because the championship clubs need more home games in lieu of decent tv money

OLDHAM RLFC

#534 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,586 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

Yes but the team in SL2 would be at a disadvantage straight away if they had a play off game against the bottom of SL1 because of the salary cap. One up one down simples.

it was my 2nd option...my 1st is one up one down

OLDHAM RLFC

#535 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,497 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:31 AM

it was my 2nd option...my 1st is one up one down

what about the clubs outside the cartel? Will there be auto promotion into it, and auto reg from it. Do you not think it would beimmoral and unfir to pull up the drawbeidge and leavethese club to rot?

this one up and one down business. What would happen if the same clubs were constantly up one year or down the next or thereabouts?
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#536 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,717 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:39 AM

In the mid 2000's Hulls crowds were peaking at around 14,000 when they were flying they got 14,256 for a league game against Leeds, a couple of years earlier HKR had an 1,154 attendance for a league game against Chorley.

These are in the Gillette yearbooks if the person with the stupid comment above wants to check them himself.

You're picking one game against a big rival and calling it "peaking"? That's like saying since Rovers have been in the league, we've peaked at 23,000 crowds.

A one off high attendance tells us nothing. As does a one off low attendance.

What were the averages? That tells us what the crowds were like that season. If you want to take out the Rovers game as an anomaly, be my guest...

For someone often complaining that they're getting picked on, you don't help yourself with things like "stupid" do you? Practise what you preach.

As it turned out Hudgell saved HKR who became strong competition to Hull. Hulls attendances dropped and Rovers rose and the old rivalries thrilled Humberside.

Maybe you can check those year books again to back this comment up...

But in this new age of clubs who are in SL and receiving millions from SKY against clubs in the CC receiving nothing from SKY we see some very marked polarisations in levels of local support.

Care to reflect on where HKR would be today if nobody had come in to save the club DP?

That's a bit of a limited question isn't it? If a club needs saving and nobody comes, it'll disappear. But who says nobody would come?
Posted Image

#537 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,935 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

What about the clubs outside the cartel? Will there be auto promotion into it, and auto reg from it. Do you not think it would be immoral and unfair to pull up the drawbridge and leave these club to rot?

Go on then, I'm snowed in so I'll bite :lol:

On the current tables Hunslet are just below the 20 team cut off point :(

But are we dead? NO!!!

Superleague 3 is the answer.

Hunslet
Donny
Swinton
Whitehaven
York
Workington
Keighley
Barrow
Oldham
Rochdale.

An all oop t'north League that will be too.

I propose SKY funding as follows

SL1 £1,200,000 per club
SL2 £600,0000 per club
SL3 £300,000 per club

Total £21,000,000 a year so we only need a relatively small rise in SKY funding.

If this is not acceptable due to SKY not wanting to raise the contract how about a 30 club league with SKY funding split evenly at £600,000 each.

Edited by The Parksider, 23 March 2013 - 08:46 AM.

#538 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,497 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:02 AM

Go on then, I'm snowed in so I'll bite :lol:

On the current tables Hunslet are just below the 20 team cut off point :(

But are we dead? NO!!!

Superleague 3 is the answer.

Hunslet
Donny
Swinton
Whitehaven
York
Workington
Keighley
Barrow
Oldham
Rochdale.

An all oop t'north League that will be too.

I propose SKY funding as follows

SL1 £1,200,000 per club
SL2 £600,0000 per club
SL3 £300,000 per club

Total £21,000,000 a year so we only need a relatively small rise in SKY funding.

If this is not acceptable due to SKY not wanting to raise the contract how about a 30 club league with SKY funding split evenly at £600,000 each.

I'm snowed in too although I can make it to the co op on Otley Road OK on foot , and Patel's on Sir George Martin Drive seems reasonably well stocked. The Upside is that I haven't been dragged to the Trinity shoping centre yet: although that is just delaying the inevitable.

My concern in asking the questions was that once more we seem to have the spectre of dual standards. 'The game isn't run exactly according to my requirements, andmy club isn't isn't being given the oppportunity to 'rub shoulders with he big boys' and it's all so unfair/immoral". Lo and behold someone comes up with a putative system that suits their club, and it's all ok. The probability of another yo yo sysndromebetween 'SL1 and SL2' notwirhstandng, I'd like to know whether there would be auto prom and reg between 'SL' and the clubs not in it. It's a genuine question.

edit: I like your plan, but would suggest on moral grounds that we have SL 4 and maybe 5 as well, involving proper traditional BARLA clubs, all with auto prom and reg in the interests of justice.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 23 March 2013 - 09:07 AM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#539 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,586 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:21 AM

what about the clubs outside the cartel? Will there be auto promotion into it, and auto reg from it. Do you not think it would beimmoral and unfir to pull up the drawbeidge and leavethese club to rot?

this one up and one down business. What would happen if the same clubs were constantly up one year or down the next or thereabouts?

what the hell are you talking about?? cartel?? immoral?? unfair??

give your head a wobble son!

OLDHAM RLFC

#540 DAZROVER1985

DAZROVER1985
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:59 AM

one important factor has been overlooked by the post office road mafia,...........................................sky tv will not allow it to happen and they call the shots.

is this the same sky that picked fev to screen there first ever challenge cup game, and to top it off they even chose them for there second ever game. Sounds like they called the shots and made it happen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users