RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Two tier SL on the way

• Please log in to reply
723 replies to this topic

#561 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

I'd agree as well. How much real movement we'd end up with is another issue. Only rich chairmen coming in, or leaving, seem able to change the status quo........

lower league clubs will only get rich chairmen if theres a prospect their club can climb the leagues...

take oldham....one of the biggest clubs in the league for the first 50 years of the sport...there or there abouts for the next 50 years.....now we are'nt even the biggest RL club in oldham....:lol:

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#562 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,359 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

leigh are dead now.
Best thing to do now would be to promote Fev,Fax and Sheffield to sl and then CLEARLY state only clubs from expansion or development areas will be allowed in.
All other clubs will be used to devolop sl players and give established sl players game time to get match fit

You'd better check whether Halifax or Sheffield have a pulse still.

This destination Superleague one minute, and cap in hand to the local SL club the other may be catching......

Edited by The Parksider, 23 March 2013 - 12:45 PM.

#563 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,361 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:48 PM

I'm still not seeing Partnership clubs at the top of the table.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#564 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 454 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

You'd better check whether Halifax or Sheffield have a pulse still.

This destination Superleague one minute, and cap in hand to the local SL club the other may be catching......

Ive heard nothing of Fax or Sheffield begging off other clubs so until i do i'll continue to believe they have ambition

#565 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,359 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

Ive heard nothing of Fax or Sheffield begging off other clubs so until i do i'll continue to believe they have ambition

Hemel and Gloucester have ambition.

Ambition is not an SL criteria.

The main ones include a £4,000,000 turnover, a professional standard Rugby League team and a junior set up producing pro players plus at least 2,500 average crowds in the CC.

What we see with Featherstone and Leigh is both displayed all the hot air about Superleague, but both took entirely seperate paths in the end.

What can you see at halifax and Sheffield beyond hot air?

#566 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,359 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:03 PM

Lower league clubs will only get rich chairmen if theres a prospect their club can climb the leagues...

Best tell Steve O'Connor and Mark Chapman that then.

Your correct about prospects though what prospect do most Championship clubs have of finding business investment sat next door to SL clubs?

That more than anything is the problem IMHO.

#567 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:23 PM

Best tell Steve O'Connor and Mark Chapman that then.

Your correct about prospects though what prospect do most Championship clubs have of finding business investment sat next door to SL clubs?

That more than anything is the problem IMHO.

i can't remember but had widnes already qualified for the SL application process when o'conner took charge??

OLDHAM RLFC

#568 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,359 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:51 PM

i can't remember but had widnes already qualified for the SL application process when o'conner took charge??

The Widnes mob will know far more than me but Widnes went bust before the 2009 licensing round and O'Connor stepped in and re-built the club to the point where he could apply for a license. They were wrongly IMHO turned down, with O'Connor offering a £500K bond to show he was serious about Superleague. He then duly got Widnes qualified for 2012 and got in.

The same intention is happening for Featherstone so there's been a path to Superleague, although it has needed money men to deliver. HKR were the last club promoted. They stayed up with Hudgell's money, and they'd have gone up with licensing anyway.

The businessmen running these clubs have all decided to have a go at SL. Hudgell has found the going too tough in the end, O'Connor is still in there but disappointed with the fans response I believe, Mr Nahaboo is optimistic.

If a club doesn't have a big fanbase it needs big private investment. For me big private investors want to be in the Elite division, why would they pay millions out to be in a second tier. The idea that they may just appear is OK but I do believe they will do their sums first and may back off.

How much do you think it would cost someone to bankroll Oldham all the way back to being sustainable in the top division?

#569 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 454 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:05 PM

The main ones include a £4,000,000 turnover, a professional standard Rugby League team and a junior set up producing pro players plus at least 2,500 average crowds in the CC.

What we see with Featherstone and Leigh is both displayed all the hot air about Superleague, but both took entirely seperate paths in the end.

No one has said they haven't.

Does that mean current sl clubs dont need ambition?

You dont need a £4 million turn over in the championship to qualify.Its not possible to put a sl standard team together in the championship and both have junior set ups

If you think fev are full of hot air then fair enough.

As things stand i see two clubs that are struggling for attendances but tick all the other boxes needed

#570 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 39,806 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:15 PM

lower league clubs will only get rich chairmen if theres a prospect their club can climb the leagues...

take oldham....one of the biggest clubs in the league for the first 50 years of the sport...there or there abouts for the next 50 years.....now we are'nt even the biggest RL club in oldham.... :lol:

why do you think that came about?

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

#571 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,144 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

leigh are dead now.
Best thing to do now would be to promote Fev,Fax and Sheffield to sl and then CLEARLY state only clubs from expansion or development areas will be allowed in.
All other clubs will be used to devolop sl players and give established sl players game time to get match fit

Can you help us all better in understanding this logic? It makes no sense to me!
Posted Image

#572 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,359 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:17 PM

You dont need a £4 million turn over in the championship to qualify.Its not possible to put a sl standard team together in the championship and both have junior set ups

If you think fev are full of hot air then fair enough.

As things stand i see two clubs that are struggling for attendances but tick all the other boxes needed

Sheffield don't tick the ground box do they? They don't tick the attendance box either, and SL entry is one thing but they'll be £3,000,000 p.a. plus short on income to be an SL club and SKY only provides £1.2M. How do they square that?

It's open to any Journo listening to Mr. Astons press releases over SL to ask that question. I'd suggest they are too nice to embarrass Mark.

As for Fev, they tick the boxes and should be in. Their own massive financial shortfall is to be sorted by large sums of money from Mr. Nahaboo, I hope that doesn't end up being hot air.

#573 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

why do you think that came about?

well the fact we are'nt even the biggest club in oldham anymore is down to the fact that one man,chris hamilton,is trying to run the club on his own......and i mean on his own...

OLDHAM RLFC

#574 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 39,806 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

Sheffield don't tick the ground box do they? They don't tick the attendance box either, and SL entry is one thing but they'll be £3,000,000 p.a. plus short on income to be an SL club and SKY only provides £1.2M. How do they square that?

It's open to any Journo listening to Mr. Astons press releases over SL to ask that question. I'd suggest they are too nice to embarrass Mark.

As for Fev, they tick the boxes and should be in. Their own massive financial shortfall is to be sorted by large sums of money from Mr. Nahaboo, I hope that doesn't end up being hot air.

we have heard long and depressingly loudly from Featherstone Rovers fans how wrong the system is that brought Widnes to Super League, especially the years of grace from relegation that they have under the system. If Featherstone were to be admitted they would surely need the same(at the very least) state of of grace in order that they wouldn't immediately go down again, even with Nahaboo's input. I wonder whether the same objections will be made by these people?

Keeping it local

#575 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 39,806 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

well the fact we are'nt even the biggest club in oldham anymore is down to the fact that one man,chris hamilton,is trying to run the club on his own......and i mean on his own...

I know Hamilton. He's desperate for people to come on board.

BUt how did Oldham descend from what you quite accurately said they were into this state?

Keeping it local

#576 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 454 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:29 PM

Can you help us all better in understanding this logic? It makes no sense to me!

Basically pro rl outside of sl is dead in my eyes, so i think it would be better to increase the number of fully pro clubs rather than let those three clubs succume to the same fate as my club has

#577 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,144 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

Basically pro rl outside of sl is dead in my eyes, so i think it would be better to increase the number of fully pro clubs rather than let those three clubs succume to the same fate as my club has

Why is it dead? And what would promoting those three clubs achieve?
Posted Image

#578 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 454 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:50 PM

Why is it dead? And what would promoting those three clubs achieve?

Its a reserve league.

It would increase the number of fully pro rl clubs

#579 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,710 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

Fingers crossed the DR system will be evaliated at the end of the season and will remove this 'reseve league' aspect of our league.

I honestly cant see the benefit in having 2 smaller leagues just for P&R... unless the long term goal is to extend the leagues by adding more clubs.

Cummins Out.

#580 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:42 PM

Parky I'm sure mr Campbell and feisal don't think its just hot air. When we said we wanted SL I will admit I didn't think it would happen and it was hot air but what we have done on and off the field ever since we announced our intention of getting into SL is far more than unbelievable.We have made great strides since announcing we want SL. We are hitting the 2.5k average crowds needed too which I thought would be our biggiest stumbling block to be honest but now we seem to have cracked that I can't see anything stopping us now from going into SL only the RFL/SKY.

Edited by thundergaz, 23 March 2013 - 03:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users