Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Two tier SL on the way

• Please log in to reply
723 replies to this topic

#681 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

:o

Why the face parky? 😄😄😄.

#682 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,240 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:13 PM

I never once said I was in favour of the open salary cap. I just said the players were greats and always will be. How many of today's stars will be remembered in 20 years time?

I suspect in 20 years time, Wire fans who are between 10-19 now, will be in their 30's moaning that we don't see the likes of Hodgson, Briers, Morley, Westwood etc any more.

It's a strange one, because the Aussies are constantly telling us that the players they have now are the best the game has ever seen, whereas we just talk down our superstars like Tomkins, Graham, Sinfield, Roby, Burgess, Ellis, Westwood, Hock, Briscoe, Hall etc.

Edited by Dave T, 25 March 2013 - 03:15 PM.

#683 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

I suspect in 20 years time, Wire fans who are between 10-19 now, will be in their 30's moaning that we don't see the likes of Hodgson, Briers, Morley, Westwood etc any more.

Well dave I'm not between them ages you have stated but I certainly won't be mentioning those names in 20 years time. As they are not a patch on the greats of yester year for me anyway.

#684 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:21 PM

It's a strange one, because the Aussies are constantly telling us that the players they have now are the best the game has ever seen, whereas we just talk down our superstars like Tomkins, Graham, Sinfield, Roby, Burgess, Ellis, Westwood, Hock, Briscoe, Hall etc.

I also disagree with that one too dave. Even though the Aussies are spouting about their team. Don't get me wrong they have some class players and always have had. Player for player I would say yes they have the best Aussie team ever. But team wise I would disagree I think the mal maningar era was their best era. As I don't think the Aussies of today have the standard of yester year to play against.

#685 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,240 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

Well dave I'm not between them ages you have stated but I certainly won't be mentioning those names in 20 years time. As they are not a patch on the greats of yester year for me anyway.

And that's sort of my point.

Morley would be a legend in any era. Westwood is as good as any of the British 2nd rowers I have seen in my 25 years watching.

I often find when I speak to fans that they always consider greats to be only from the past. I also find that sometimes the greats that are referred to lacked some skills that nowadays would see them left out of the team. Quite often players weren;t capable of passing both ways without turning their back on the defensive line for example.

#686 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,240 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:33 PM

I also disagree with that one too dave. Even though the Aussies are spouting about their team. Don't get me wrong they have some class players and always have had. Player for player I would say yes they have the best Aussie team ever. But team wise I would disagree I think the mal maningar era was their best era. As I don't think the Aussies of today have the standard of yester year to play against.

Nostalgia turns the likes of Paul Eastwood into legends. Same with Darryl Powell - very good players, but nowadays they would be classed as average.

#687 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

Nostalgia turns the likes of Paul Eastwood into legends. Same with Darryl Powell - very good players, but nowadays they would be classed as average.

I disagree again can you imagine what the likes of Hanley and Edwards etc would of done in today's game if they were full time pros it doesn't bare thinking about. They would rip the SL to shreds and turn it on its head.

Edited by thundergaz, 25 March 2013 - 03:35 PM.

#688 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,240 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

I disagree again can you imagine what the likes of Hanley and Edwards etc would of done in today's game if they were full time pros it doesn't bare thinking about. They would rip the SL to shreds and turn it on its head.

I loved watching Hanley - for me he was a once in a generation player - real genuine world class.

Edwards was a great, but we've had better players since - that's not to take anything from his record.

I wasn't a fan of his, but Sean Long went on to get a hat-tricks of Lance Todd awards, the first in history to do so. Andy Farrell is a true great in my eyes, Morley is a legend, Cunningham has had a brilliant club career, Graham is a freak of a prop, Briers has shown many glimpses, certainly in the back end of his career, Sinfield is breaking Leeds club records for fun, Hall is a world-beater.

These players will all be remembered in years to come. I suspect much more than Paul Eastwood, Carl Gibson, Paul Dixon, Darryl Powell, Lee Jackson, Sonny Nickle, etc.

Edited by Dave T, 25 March 2013 - 03:44 PM.

#689 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,607 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

I disagree again can you imagine what the likes of Hanley and Edwards etc would of done in today's game if they were full time pros it doesn't bare thinking about.

Come on gaz, you're having a laugh aren't you? Hanley and Edwards and the rest of the eighties and nineties Wigan teams were full time pros.

Edited by deluded pom?, 25 March 2013 - 03:48 PM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#690 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

I loved watching Hanley - for me he was a once in a generation player - real genuine world class.

Edwards was a great, but we've had better players since - that's not to take anything from his record.

I wasn't a fan of his, but Sean Long went on to get a hat-tricks of Lance Todd awards, the first in history to do so. Andy Farrell is a true great in my eyes, Morley is a legend, Cunningham has had a brilliant club career, Graham is a freak of a prop, Briers has shown many glimpses, certainly in the back end of his career, Sinfield is breaking Leeds club records for fun, Hall is a world-beater.

These players will all be remembered in years to come. I suspect much more than Paul Eastwood, Carl Gibson, Paul Dixon, Darryl Powell, Lee Jackson, Sonny Nickle, etc.

Nah not for me dave but each to their own I guess. Too many over rated players in today's game for me.

#691 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,240 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:48 PM

Nah not for me dave but each to their own I guess. Too many over rated players in today's game for me.

It would appear that nobody rates anybody in the game nowadays so I'd dispute your last line! :D

#692 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

If anything they wouldn't look as good as it is now a level playing field.

Sam Tomkins, Sam Burgess and James Graham are as good as any player England have ever produced.
Posted Image

#693 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:02 PM

If anything they wouldn't look as good as it is now a level playing field.

Sam Tomkins, Sam Burgess and James Graham are as good as any player England have ever produced.

I agree with Tomkins gav. Don't know about the other 2 though.

#694 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:02 PM

alex murphy is the greatest player of all time and my boyhood hero, but even he would struggle with the pace of todays game, great players belong to their generation and all the time even greater players come into the frame ala darren lockyer arguably the best aussie i have seen in 50 years of watching the game.......
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#695 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:06 PM

alex murphy is the greatest player of all time and my boyhood hero, but even he would struggle with the pace of todays game, great players belong to their generation and all the time even greater players come into the frame ala darren lockyer arguably the best aussie i have seen in 50 years of watching the game.......

I won't argue with any of that Viking as I agree great players in every generation. Lockyer was class too. It might be me but I just don't feel the players are of the same standard of yester years.

#696 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:07 PM

I agree with Tomkins gav. Don't know about the other 2 though.

behave yourself, graham and burgess would be outstanding props in any generation, pace power and skill to burn.........sam tomkins is a freak, sublime skill with great pace, attitude and balance. he could even end up better than murphy,

Edited by Viking Warrior, 25 March 2013 - 04:09 PM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#697 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

I won't argue with any of that Viking as I agree great players in every generation. Lockyer was class too. It might be me but I just don't feel the players are of the same standard of yester years.

Indeed, they are much fitter, faster, stronger and across the board more skillful thanks to full time professionalism.
Posted Image

#698 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:09 PM

behave yourself, graham and burgess would be outstanding props in any generation, pace power and skill to burn.........

Over rated because they went down under that's all.

#699 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:10 PM

Over rated because they went down under that's all.

Absolutely ridiculous comment.
Posted Image

#700 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

Indeed, they are much fitter, faster, stronger and across the board more skillful thanks to full time professionalism.

Not going to argue with that gav only the skilful bit. But what I'm saying is I would rather watch a game between the Wigan and Widnes of old than the Wigan of now and say Leeds if now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users