Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Two tier SL on the way

• Please log in to reply
723 replies to this topic

#701 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:12 PM

Absolutely ridiculous comment.

Why? Ellis is over rated too. There is only one player from today's game who should be plying his trade down under and that's a certain mr Tomkins. Would burgess or graham get in the Aussie squad? I doubt it very much.

Edited by thundergaz, 25 March 2013 - 04:13 PM.

#702 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

Why? Ellis is over rated too. There is only one player from today's game who should be plying his trade down under and that's a certain mr Tomkins.

http://i.stack.imgur.com/jiFfM.jpg
Posted Image

#703 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

one player i saw in the early 70's could have gone on to be a great of the game but for injuries etc.mick shoebottom of leeds was as good as lockyer but unfortunately his career was tragically cut short.......
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#704 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

Why? Ellis is over rated too. There is only one player from today's game who should be plying his trade down under and that's a certain mr Tomkins. Would burgess or graham get in the Aussie squad? I doubt it very much.

have you heard of that young hooker at saints?...............................james roby
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#705 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:15 PM

Over rated because they went down under that's all.

and both are up in the top 5 props in a superior competition to super league.........

#706 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:16 PM

have you heard of that young hooker at saints?...............................james roby

Again over rated he's not even a patch on Kieran Cunningham.

#707 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#708 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:19 PM

Posted Image

How come your not ar3e licking the RFL this aft anyway gav?

#709 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:20 PM

different type of hooker, kieron was the last of the old fashioned style hookers but james is up there with the rest (cam smith apart) in the new breed of the hooker being a 3rd halfback........... i'll give you one to watch, paul mcshane at leeds brilliant hands and as near to kierons style as there is in todays game.

#710 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

How come your not ar3e licking the RFL this aft anyway gav?

Lovely stuff.
Posted Image

#711 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

Lovely stuff.

😄😄😄 it was a serious question by the way. You always have your nose round one of their ar3es 😄😄😄.

Edited by thundergaz, 25 March 2013 - 04:27 PM.

#712 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:27 PM

what time do the schools let out in the city of wakefield???

#713 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

what time do the schools let out in the city of wakefield???

Deary deary me you have just been acussed of being 12 now you nick their comment and turn it on me I don't know😜

#714 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:30 PM

And yet again another thread degenerates into personal insults.

Shame, I was quite enjoying this one. I'm out.
Posted Image

#715 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

And yet again another thread degenerates into personal insults.

Shame, I was quite enjoying this one. I'm out.

Gav don't be like that. It's just banter mate me and you have some great discussions. Don't let a little banter spoil that.

#716 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

then stop making silly comments and lets have a really sensible debate, roby, graham, burgess and co are among the best in the world in their positions, and i'll even say that i think tomkins is as good if not better than billy slater.....

#717 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:28 PM

then stop making silly comments and lets have a really sensible debate, roby, graham, burgess and co are among the best in the world in their positions, and i'll even say that i think tomkins is as good if not better than billy slater.....

That's a massive statement don't get me wrong Tomkins is in a league of his own but so is billy slater and with slater being an Aussie I will go for him just because they are always better 😄😄😄. But if one English player could break into the Aussie international team it would be him.

#718 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,732 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

That's a massive statement don't get me wrong Tomkins is in a league of his own but so is billy slater and with slater being an Aussie I will go for him just because they are always better . But if one English player could break into the Aussie international team it would be him.

mate I've been watng rugby league since the 1950s. It's easy to get into a 'players were better back then' mode, and understandable.
I enjoy my rugby just s much, in many ways more than at any time over that 50 odd years.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#719 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 465 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:54 PM

If (and it's a big IF) a TV deal or deals could be done for a 2 x 10 SL I'd be all for it. In football you get parachute payments if you drop out of the Premier League for x amount of years. You introduce that to our format so that a club dropping from SL1 to SL2 gets a certain amount of money but also, perhaps importantly,if you go up you get a payment to help you in your first year in SL1. Done for both sides involved in the P&R switch it should help the promoted club stand a chance of staying up and also help prevent the relegated club doing an Oldham. Probably best to start off with 1 up,1 down and if it works out then you could move to 2 up, 2 down. Underneath SL2 you have 2 regionalised semi pro leagues - have the winners of each playoff against each other. The winner of that game is the Championship Champion, if they have the desire to go pro and their facilities are up to scratch (something that must have been signed off on before the season begins - I'd also expect most seasons for no club to gain promotion) then they replace the bottom team in SL2. Again - a parachute payment is given to the relegated SL2 team who can chose to stay pro if they can afford it and if they cant they go semi pro. If another French team wishes to join SL2 then it's a 3 way playoff between them and the two regional Championship winners.
Obviously it all needs MONEY and it would need Sky to pony up more of it. Or BT Sport. Or Premier. Or French Al Jazeera. Or all of them
Your 10 team SL going off last seasons placings:
Wigan, Warrington, St Helens, Catalans,Leeds,Hull,Huddersfield,Wakefield,Bradford,Hull KR
Then you take the relegated four, add the Championship clubs who are badgering to be in the SL, add Toulouse and one other - I suggest North Wales Crusaders for SL2:
Salford,London Broncos,Castleford,Widnes,Featherstone,Sheffield,Halifax,Leigh,Toulouse,North Wales
Championship Scenario 1 could either involve you playing 3 times against your own division or home and away plus one game against 8 of the 9 in the other division.Both options give you a 24 game season.
Championship North:
Batley,Keighley,Dewsbury,Hunslet,York,Barrow,Whitehaven,Workington,Gateshead
Championship South:
London Skolars,South Wales,Hemel,All Golds,Oxford,Oldham*,Rochdale*,Swinton*,Doncaster*
* - as new clubs join from non heartland areas i.e Coventry and then perhaps the likes of Medway,Nottingham,Leicester etc etc then a northern club is moved out of the Championship South back to where it should be.You move whoever is more obviously 'north' or whichever is the most serious financial basket case!
Championship Scenario 2 could be that you split into 3 regional divisions of 6 each (obviously that can change over time). You play teams in your division home and away and those from others only once. That gives you a 22 game season. For the playoffs it could be the 3 winners and the best runner up, if a French team is in the playoffs then you dont have the runner up.
Championship North West:
Barrow,Whitehaven,Workington,Oldham,Rochdale,Swinton
Championship North East:
Batley,Keighley,Dewsbury,Hunslet,York,Gateshead
Championship South:
London Skolars,South Wales,Hemel,All Golds,Oxford,Doncaster*
* - sorry Doncaster I've stiffed you again

I like my plan even if nobody else does! Right...I'm off to ring Rupert Murdoch and BT and whoever is in charge in Qatar

#720 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

Wait... did somebody say Sam Burgess, James Roby, James Graham and Brett Hodgson were over rated?

Cummins Out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users