TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Falklands sovreignty referendum - shock result

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:04 PM

Three people actually voted no! :o
http://www.guardian....endum-votes-yes

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,050 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

Three people actually voted no! :o
http://www.guardian....endum-votes-yes

Hello all,

I got back from my six month tour on Sunday morning. The Falklands is a fantastic place as is South Georgia, which I was lucky enough to visit for 48hrs whilst on a South Atlantic patrol on HMS CLYDE. Both Islands are extradionary places to see wildlife and the population of the Falklands are friendly, I am guessing what the UK must have been like 50/60yrs ago.

I was lucky enough to have a very close working relationship with Government House and the Falkland Islands Government throughout my tour, especially in the lead-up to the Referendum itself. There was quite a large media presence on the Islands from all over the world (more than usual as many South American journalists visit) and observers from around the world. Despite Argentina and other South American countries (publically anyway!) not actually listening to the result, the Islanders were massively happy with the result and passed even their expectations. The 'no' votes weren't actually in favour of coming under Argentine rule, it was in favour of independence! They must have been descendents of Scots! :)

Anyway, if you ever get chance to visit the Falklands or South Georgia via a cruise in the South Atlantic, you must do so... amazing places!

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#3 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:31 PM

Hello all,

I got back from my six month tour on Sunday morning. The Falklands is a fantastic place as is South Georgia, which I was lucky enough to visit for 48hrs whilst on a South Atlantic patrol on HMS CLYDE. Both Islands are extradionary places to see wildlife and the population of the Falklands are friendly, I am guessing what the UK must have been like 50/60yrs ago.

I was lucky enough to have a very close working relationship with Government House and the Falkland Islands Government throughout my tour, especially in the lead-up to the Referendum itself. There was quite a large media presence on the Islands from all over the world (more than usual as many South American journalists visit) and observers from around the world. Despite Argentina and other South American countries (publically anyway!) not actually listening to the result, the Islanders were massively happy with the result and passed even their expectations. The 'no' votes weren't actually in favour of coming under Argentine rule, it was in favour of independence! They must have been descendents of Scots! :)

Anyway, if you ever get chance to visit the Falklands or South Georgia via a cruise in the South Atlantic, you must do so... amazing places!

Welcome back!

Now, what did you get me?

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#4 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:41 PM

There was a piece on the radio a few days after which highlighted the three no votes - the phone-in/text-in that followed revealed some shocking views from the British public: I can't remember if one view was that the three should be flogged after the brave servicemen had given their lives to liberate the islands, but it was something like that. No one seemed to consider that the three (and the abstainers) might have had valid reasons. IIRC one islander said before the vote that he would vote no because he wanted a different status from the current one that was being voted on.

One thing that did interest me was the wording of the referendum question:-

Do you wish the Falkland Islands to retain their current political status as an Overseas Territory of the United Kingdom? YES or NO

Hmm, something tells me that they didn't seek the advice of the Electoral Commission on that one. :rolleyes:
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#5 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:46 PM

Both Islands are extradionary places to see wildlife and the population of the Falklands are friendly, I am guessing what the UK must have been like 50/60yrs ago.

Also, I lived in the UK 50 to 60 years ago, and it was nothing like the Falklands. No penguins (not deep within the Manchester conurbation, anyway), the entire population of Port Stanley could probably have fit into my street, and the widlife consisted of sparrows and roaming packs of dogs.

#6 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

Also, I lived in the UK 50 to 60 years ago, and it was nothing like the Falklands. No penguins (not deep within the Manchester conurbation, anyway), the entire population of Port Stanley could probably have fit into my street, and the widlife consisted of sparrows and roaming packs of dogs.

Even the sparrows have gone now.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#7 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

Hello all,

Thanks for the cracking pix you sent us for the 'Around the World ' feature in Rugby League World!

Several penguins have signed up for subscriptions already. :)

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#8 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:25 PM

Even the sparrows have gone now.

Someone I know grew up in inner-city Manchester, and the only birds she ever saw were sparrows and pigeons. When she was very young she just assumed, quite reasonably, that sparrows were baby pigeons. Presumably, all the sparrows have grown up.

#9 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,050 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:40 PM

Welcome back!

Now, what did you get me?

Thanks - a framed picture of me and penguins if you look in RL World (and buy your own frame!)... :)

There was a piece on the radio a few days after which highlighted the three no votes - the phone-in/text-in that followed revealed some shocking views from the British public: I can't remember if one view was that the three should be flogged after the brave servicemen had given their lives to liberate the islands, but it was something like that. No one seemed to consider that the three (and the abstainers) might have had valid reasons. IIRC one islander said before the vote that he would vote no because he wanted a different status from the current one that was being voted on.

One thing that did interest me was the wording of the referendum question:-

Do you wish the Falkland Islands to retain their current political status as an Overseas Territory of the United Kingdom? YES or NO

Hmm, something tells me that they didn't seek the advice of the Electoral Commission on that one. :rolleyes:

The Island ethnicity is fairly mixed with British, Argentine, Chilean, St Helena, Russian, French descendents all living so it is not surprising there were 3 x 'no' votes. Interestingly, I know all the Argentine descendents voted 'yes', which is a sad inditement of that crazy lunatic De Kirchner. It is a shame about the those views expressed on the phone-in. The Islands were liberated but if 'Self-Determination' is what the British Government (and UN) are pushing, then some of our own population need to understand the principle too...

Thanks for the cracking pix you sent us for the 'Around the World ' feature in Rugby League World!

Glad to hear the penguins are signing up in numbers. Want a picture from Grtviyken in South Georgia too or am I being greedy?! :D

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#10 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,644 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:53 PM

Hello all,

good to have you back mate.

What's it like on a river class OPV?
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#11 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,050 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:33 PM

good to have you back mate.

What's it like on a river class OPV?

Thanks - buggering off on Saturday for a month's leave in Nepal so not back for too long! I'll be posted to London in May so that will be a big change from South Wales and the South Atlantic...

As for CLYDE, well, it was certainly an experience. The ship itself was fairly comfortable and has much more room than the standard any other type of naval vessel according to the crew. However, I am not sure it is designed for a Southern Ocean trip. It was bloody rocky at times and pretty awful when the Ocean was rough, which was nearly everyday. There was plenty of swearing on my behalf as it was my first time at sea so spent much of it sliding around all over the place. I never threw up though, unlike the boss! Ice watch in the middle of the night was pretty epic and daunting considering the search lights weren't amazing (NVGs required) but overall it was a great experience.

#12 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,057 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:46 PM

Really? Not even in Belle Vue zoo?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#13 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,644 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

Thanks - buggering off on Saturday for a month's leave in Nepal so not back for too long! I'll be posted to London in May so that will be a big change from South Wales and the South Atlantic...

As for CLYDE, well, it was certainly an experience. The ship itself was fairly comfortable and has much more room than the standard any other type of naval vessel according to the crew. However, I am not sure it is designed for a Southern Ocean trip. It was bloody rocky at times and pretty awful when the Ocean was rough, which was nearly everyday. There was plenty of swearing on my behalf as it was my first time at sea so spent much of it sliding around all over the place. I never threw up though, unlike the boss! Ice watch in the middle of the night was pretty epic and daunting considering the search lights weren't amazing (NVGs required) but overall it was a great experience.

Thanks mate
OPV= Ocean Patrol Vessel, so they should b up for it and they are very modern. I think the Southern Ocean would put any ship to the test.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#14 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:59 AM

Hello all,

Welcome back and quite an experience.

#15 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:48 AM

And I bet, true to form, he went out in just a t-shirt whatever the weather.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#16 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,599 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:24 AM

How many people voted 'yes'?

#17 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:56 AM

Really? Not even in Belle Vue zoo?

Belle Vue? I wasn't deep within the Manchester conurbation. There were a few nuns about but, as with the packs of free range dogs, you tended to keep your distance.

#18 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,745 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

were they "Mighty Penguins"? I still wear my Mighty Penguin fleece with..er...er... pride.

A recent conversation with a mate of mine, a real firebrand Labour type, not a moderate MOR softie like me, we agreed on one thing. If the Argies had played it cool over the Falklands in the years coming up to 1982, the Falklands would have been now been in Argentinian hands and 649 people would not have lost their lives. The Foreign Office or suchlike was signalling that it wasn't too bothered, people here knew little of the Falklands (and probably cared even less) so a diplomatic solution involving bribed resettlement etc might have resulted, especially considering the historic relationship we had with the Argentine.

All that stopped, though, the moment the Argies got impatient and tried to snatch them without saying "please".

The instant reaction was....oi! You can't do that.... We are BRITISH and the Falklands in OURS so ###### off! No, you can't have them back! True we were not that bothered but now that you want them, you can't have them!!

What a wasted opportunity to forge an alliance with an old friend. Still, that's what we do. Make enemies of them. All because of Fray Bentos tinned steak pies...oh, no, sorry , that was Uruguay.

Argentina in the Victorian age was part of the United Kingdom's informal empire, an independent nation that Britain had economic influence in, that was outside the British Empire.[3] However the position of English Argentines was complicated when their economic influence was finally eroded by Juan Perón's nationalisation of many British-owned companies in the 1940s and, more recently, by the Falklands War in 1982. Famous Argentines such as Presidents of ArgentinaRaúl Alfonsín and Carlos Pellegrini, adventurer Lucas Bridges, Huracan football club president Carlos Babington and writer Jorge Luis Borges are partially of English descent.

see here

Edited by JohnM, 26 March 2013 - 12:45 PM.

#19 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,050 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:10 PM

Thanks mate
OPV= Ocean Patrol Vessel, so they should b up for it and they are very modern. I think the Southern Ocean would put any ship to the test.

It might have been better if the 'stabiliser' system had been working... that said, the Commander of the vessel and his crew definitely were of the impression that the ship wasn't really suitable for the Southern Ocean.

How many people voted 'yes'?

<snip>

Strategically, the British Government would have made a huge error if they had allowed the Falklands and SGSSI areas to come under Argentine control. Not only are there vast energy resources around the Islands, they are also our only gateway to Antartica, which will no doubt be the next area for exploration.

#20 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:26 PM

And now we have to watch the Pope & see what side of the coin he comes down on.
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users