Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

sheffield eagles

new stadium

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 364 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:55 PM

Just watched look north and been on line . Plans to knock down don valley confirm and plans to build a new sporting complex including a new state of the art rugby stadium to be shared with rotherham titans . Eagles surely must be a super league contender if this plan gets off the ground.

Edited by superten, 12 March 2013 - 06:55 PM.

Chief Crazy Eagle

#2 DAZROVER1985

DAZROVER1985
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:09 PM

Yes I'm sure they will be if it is completed in a FEW YEARS time

#3 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,686 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:57 PM

Just watched look north and been on line . Plans to knock down don valley confirm and plans to build a new sporting complex including a new state of the art rugby stadium to be shared with rotherham titans . Eagles surely must be a super league contender if this plan gets off the ground.

It's a shame but unless they start adding to the 1,000 supporters and find a rich backer under the present way of thinking they will have no chance..
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#4 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,947 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:42 PM

It's a shame but unless they start adding to the 1,000 supporters and find a rich backer under the present way of thinking they will have no chance..

If they get the stadium sorted out then they'll get new supporters. Not been there myself but as I am sure you know, it's not a good place to watch rugby at present.

#5 bazza_merged

bazza_merged
  • Coach
  • 645 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:28 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...kshire-21752994

#6 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:09 AM

Didn't happen for Leigh though did it? Why are Sheffield any different?
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#7 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,482 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:31 AM

If they get the stadium sorted out then they'll get new supporters. Not been there myself but as I am sure you know, it's not a good place to watch rugby at present.

Build it and they will come, eh?

I thought that was just a story .....
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#8 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,866 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:00 AM

No it's not it's actually TRUE!

I looked it up, it's a fact.

When they play at the comfortable modern stadia that is Brammall Lane their average gate goes from 1,000 to 1,250.

They DO come, best let your man know coz I have him on ignore and can't tell him myself :)

Edited by The Parksider, 13 March 2013 - 09:01 AM.

#9 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,776 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:01 AM

Didn't happen for Leigh though did it? Why are Sheffield any different?

I think it is different but shouldnt make a difference - Sheffield is a big city on the fringes of the heartlands, but they should gain promotion the right way as they did before (which gains fans too).

Great news for Sheffield. Always had a soft spot for them. Will be easier to build crowds in a smaller ground

#10 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:54 AM

When they play at the comfortable modern stadia that is Brammall Lane their average gate goes from 1,000 to 1,250.

They DO come, best let your man know coz I have him on ignore and can't tell him myself :)

Have you also looked at how the attendances compare in relation to who they were playing, ko times and days etc at each venue? When you've done that I might believe your hypothesis.

#11 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,832 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:07 AM

Leaving aside the Superleague thing, this looks like good news. The increased versatility should help make it a more sustainable facility than the existing stadium, which is only really any good for Track & Field.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#12 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,482 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:12 AM

Have you also looked at how the attendances compare in relation to who they were playing, ko times and days etc at each venue? When you've done that I might believe your hypothesis.

I think there may have been an element of irony in there, Les. :rolleyes:

Fact is, we don't have enough data from which to draw a conclusion.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#13 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:12 AM

great news for the game as a whole, eagles were one of the original expansion teams along with fulham/london.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#14 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,892 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

I think you are right. The ambiance of a stadium can contribute towars getting bigger crowds. Don Valley, as are most of the athletics stadia, are poor for RL due to the distance from the pitch of the spectators due to the track. this is a major issue even in soccer and in particluar the future configuration of the Olympic Stadium.

The size of the stadia is also relevant. 5,000 at Featherstone for instance has a better crowd ambiance and sense of togetherness and being part of an event than 5,000 at Wigan where such a crowd would be rattling around and have no atmosphere in the midst of 25,000 seats.

This is an issuwe in Sheffield with both Brammall Lanr and Don Valley. Too big for purpose.

The new projected stadium at 10,000 whilst big enough for any possible projected future success of the Eagles, is also small enough to generate an atmosphere with even a small crowd and if the Eagles continue their success on the field or are even part of an expanded SL set up, the atmospheric nature of the smaller, more rugby friendly stadium could, just by being there, contribute to an increase of the Eagles attendances.

This is a difficult point to absolutely prove but I think a good quality, suitably sized stadium can be a catalyst for increasing attendances if couple with a successfulteam on the field.

Having said that, those circumstances would seem to exist at Leigh and Doncaster with only marginally improved attendances so maybe i am wrong.

#15 thebadger

thebadger
  • Players
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

I live in Sheffield and don't follow any one RL team - I just enjoy the game rather than supporting a particular club. I go to internationals and other big games but I don't bother watching the Eagles. Watching across an athletics track is no fun and rattling around in Bramall Lane is no fun either. In a smaller stadium, with terracing, I'd definitely go. I can't be the only person in the city who is put off by the lack of an appropriate ground.

#16 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

I think there may have been an element of irony in there, Les. :rolleyes:

Fact is, we don't have enough data from which to draw a conclusion.

Don't think Parky does irony, just s.... ;)

#17 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,866 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

If your interested in the facts go out and get them for yourself, I'm not your clerk.

Nor am I asking you to believe anything.

You can believe in your own "S".

When you have done your research you can let me know how high Eagles crowds will soar...........

Edited by The Parksider, 13 March 2013 - 02:34 PM.

#18 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,947 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:33 PM

What's the point on having me on ignore and then reading my posts anyway?

ffs you even reply to me.

Either do it properly or not at all.

Edited by Northern Sol, 13 March 2013 - 03:04 PM.

#19 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,947 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:35 PM

It depends but clubs generally do get a "new stadium bounce". Now okay DVS is going to fairly basic even if it is done up but from the sounds of things it could not get worse.

#20 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,866 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:36 PM

This is a difficult point to absolutely prove but I think a good quality, suitably sized stadium can be a catalyst for increasing attendances if couple with a successful team on the field.

And your estimate is???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users