RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

16/03/13 - Huddersfield Giants v Hull FC - KO 5.45pm (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (8 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Voted Huddersfield Giants (7 votes [87.50%])

Percentage of vote: 87.50%

2. Hull FC (1 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,153 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

The linesman that looks like Barry Chuckle calls a forward pass - no try.

#42 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 11,645 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

I don't believe that. That touch judge can see a forward pass from 60 m when the away side score but cant see two successive forward passes within 20 m when it's the home side scoring.

Hull-FC-V10-e1380711301940.jpg         HULL NOT VERY PROUD

"You're not City anymore!"

(The chant of opposition fans to Hull Tigers' supporters this season)

#43 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:09 PM

Boo hoo hoo

:P

#44 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 766 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:17 PM

Don't mind being wrong in games like that. I thought Hull lacked something in that 2nd half. There were a few times when they had a good outside option but the carrier held the ball instead of letting it go. Huddersfield do look very good so far though. The Wardle try was well worked and broke down a great Hull defence, which made it even better.

With a stable coach I think they could be tough to beat this year. I know in the past they collapse near the end, but they have better depth and some great players up front.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#45 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Every time i've seen Tom Briscoe play in the last 7 or 8 games he seems to be playing at about 70%.. never seems to return the ball at full tilt like he always used to, and is always flat in attack. Had he been stood deeper for the 'forward pass' it probably would have ended up a try.

Enjoyable game though. Hudds looking good, and finishing games very well. Improvement from Hull in general though.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#46 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,141 posts

Good effort there. Very few mistakes. Just couldn't break the line. We need a line breaking prop and a scrum half that can create more gaps if we want to win these tight games with consistency. We also need to play for 80 minutes, not 60!
Posted Image

#47 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:25 PM

We also need to play for 80 minutes, not 60!

This is a real problem with Hull isn't it? When exactly the 60 minute period is seems to vary with the team you are playing, but your blokes for whatever reason seem incapable of maintaining their best intensity for the full 80. It must be very frustrating for you Hull fans.

I thought you needed to do more of what your fullback was it tried to do with the chip over the top (as Stevo loves to say). If more of that kind of play can be slotted in then that would be enough to keep opposition players guessing.

#48 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 766 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:29 PM

From what I have seen, there isnt too much between the majority of the league this year. The telling factor has been fitness. The teams near the top dont clock off until the hooter. The teams around mid table start to lapse.

#49 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 766 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:31 PM

And FWIW I though his hands were moving backwards and his momentum carried the ball forward. A TJ the far side should never be allowed to call plays like that as referees are told to watch the hands, not the ball. How is it possible to see the movement of the hands from so far away?

#50 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 11,645 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:48 PM

Thought Danny Houghton was fantastic tonight, played the full 80 mins and made 65 tackles. Very impressive.

Still nowhere near the true man of the match in Danny Brough... :rolleyes:

Agree with Wellsy to a point, we have very little direction in the middle of the park.

But as for only playing for 60 mins, I thought the Hull players' heads only dropped after the touchie's distant intervention for Briscoe's disallowed try, difficult to blame them tbh.

#51 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 7,703 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

I don't believe that. That touch judge can see a forward pass from 60 m when the away side score but cant see two successive forward passes within 20 m when it's the home side scoring.

Spot on.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.

#52 DimmestStar

DimmestStar
  • Players
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:36 PM

Absorbing contest in which both teams played a full part.

Just felt Hudds were always going to win it was like Hull were busting a gut to stop the dam from breaking - and admirably so - but they were not asking enough questions themselves.

#53 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:48 PM

Good tough game, few penalties and two well matched sides, I still can't get my head round all this stuff with forward passes, I must be getting too old, for me if the ball goes forward It's forward, By the time we have finished with which way the hands are pointing and the momentum rule we are going to be deciding with computers, can we not just stick to, if the the ball goes forward it's forward.
It was a hard grind that and exactly what the Giants needed, I thought the Hull forwards played really well, and the score didn't really reflect the closeness of the game, A win over Hull is always welcome home or away, next week is another gig one.
Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#54 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,098 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:33 PM

Just watched the game back. I think Phil Bentham actually heard Aaron Murphy shouting 'forward' into that touch judge's face.

Sitting behind the posts I didn't really have a clue about any of the forward pass calls. I hadn't realised how unevenhanded the application of that law had been during the game.

hullthursday_zpsa8836b84.jpg

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#55 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,098 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:41 PM

Absorbing contest in which both teams played a full part.

Just felt Hudds were always going to win it was like Hull were busting a gut to stop the dam from breaking - and admirably so - but they were not asking enough questions themselves.

Very much like the Hull v Warrington game in that respect. Tremendous effort but the opposition found another gear that we didn't match.

hullthursday_zpsa8836b84.jpg

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#56 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:15 AM

The rule on forward passes hasn't changed
The interpretation on forward passes hasn't changed

What's changed is the amount we see the game on TV and how much we can watch plays over And over

For as long as I can remember Leeds and Saints have "got away with ridiculous forward passes" (just like Wigan have got away with dirty play)

The only rule there is, is that if the ref thinks if was forward, it was. Nothing else matters

#57 Emosi Koloto

Emosi Koloto
  • Coach
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:06 AM

Good enjoyable game, but coach Peter Gentle's mateship with Ben Galea is hurting Hull FC this year. Gentle keeps playing for 80 minutes even though his defence is pathetic.
Also, i think Westerman is being restricted by poor coaching.
Everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

#58 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 11,645 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:17 AM

The only rule there is, is that if the ref thinks if was forward, it was. Nothing else matters

Not even the distant touch judge's opinion?

#59 amh

amh
  • 11,071 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:09 AM

Not even the distant touch judge's opinion?

TV Tony misses nowt, pedantic as a pedantic goes. Great game, and a draw wouldn't have beentotally wrong, but I feel Giants deserved the win. We once watched him ref am amateur game at Newsome, every play took an age as he dissected it, explained it and eventually let play go on. It's a shame he wasn't in line (from oppo line) for the Giants forward pass but he wasn't and that's how the cookie crumbles.

Really enjoyed the game, and appreciate your points

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#60 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:10 AM

To be honest, anything that upsets Hull fans is ok by me ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users