Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

16/03/13 - Huddersfield Giants v Hull FC - KO 5.45pm (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (8 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Voted Huddersfield Giants (7 votes [87.50%])

Percentage of vote: 87.50%

2. Hull FC (1 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,999 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

To be honest, anything that upsets Hull fans is ok by me ;)

You're a closet Rovers fan? :o

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#62 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,926 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:04 AM

Good tough game, few penalties and two well matched sides, I still can't get my head round all this stuff with forward passes, I must be getting too old, for me if the ball goes forward It's forward, By the time we have finished with which way the hands are pointing and the momentum rule we are going to be deciding with computers, can we not just stick to, if the the ball goes forward it's forward.
It was a hard grind that and exactly what the Giants needed, I thought the Hull forwards played really well, and the score didn't really reflect the closeness of the game, A win over Hull is always welcome home or away, next week is another gig one.

So did you think Leroy Cudjoe's out-the-back-door pass to McGillvray against Saints a couple if years ago was a forward pass?
Posted Image

#63 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:19 AM

Good tough game, few penalties and two well matched sides, I still can't get my head round all this stuff with forward passes, I must be getting too old, for me if the ball goes forward It's forward, By the time we have finished with which way the hands are pointing and the momentum rule we are going to be deciding with computers, can we not just stick to, if the the ball goes forward it's forward.
It was a hard grind that and exactly what the Giants needed, I thought the Hull forwards played really well, and the score didn't really reflect the closeness of the game, A win over Hull is always welcome home or away, next week is another gig one.

This has never been the rule. The momentum rule is a fact of life not some modern trick, there are many passes that physically travel forward during a game but that nobody would call forward. It's the same as throwing a ball off a moving train.

If you threw a ball off a moving train that was then suddenly stopped, the ball would go flying forwards due to momentum. In RL if a player in full flow passes it and is stopped by a tackle it can appear to go forward.

#64 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,535 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:07 AM

Good enjoyable game, but coach Peter Gentle's mateship with Ben Galea is hurting Hull FC this year. Gentle keeps playing for 80 minutes even though his defence is pathetic.
Also, i think Westerman is being restricted by poor coaching.

I don't think it was ever the intention that Galea would play as many minutes as he has. He was brought in to add depth and experience to the squad. The fact that he has spent so much time on the field is more down to the unavailability of Ellis and Tickle rather than him being Gentle's bezzie mate.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#65 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

Just watching the replay. I wish Cullen would just shut up. He waffles on and on and says nothing.

That's me.  I'm done.

#66 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,926 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

I had a friend over who doesn't really watch sport (she popped round at the wrong time to sit and chat!) and even she said "does it not get annoying that they're still taking about this?" in reference to the Crooks knock on in the in goal. They went on and on for a good five minutes showing replay after replay just to show Stevo that the Hudds defender hadn't knocked on!

My reply was "yes, it p*sses everyone off all the bloody time!"
Posted Image

#67 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,795 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:39 AM

Must admit, I read this thread last night and was expecting to see one of the greatest travesties in RL history.

Watching it this morning, the team capable of making a break beat the team who weren't.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#68 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

Clearly forward. As Eddie will no doubt waffle on forever - look at his hands. It goes forward from the player throwing it.

We need a Cullen monologue to confirm it.

That's me.  I'm done.

#69 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:52 AM

Terrific tackle by Jerry there.

That's me.  I'm done.

#70 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,535 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:20 PM

Every time i've seen Tom Briscoe play in the last 7 or 8 games he seems to be playing at about 70%.. never seems to return the ball at full tilt like he always used to, and is always flat in attack. Had he been stood deeper for the 'forward pass' it probably would have ended up a try.

Enjoyable game though. Hudds looking good, and finishing games very well. Improvement from Hull in general though.

I thought Briscoe was excellent last night. At 22 he was the oldest player in Hull's threequarter line. Bodes very well for the future, whether he's included in that future or not.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#71 TBC

TBC
  • Coach
  • 756 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:27 PM

So did you think Leroy Cudjoe's out-the-back-door pass to McGillvray against Saints a couple if years ago was a forward pass?

Not at the time but we know it did go forward. And it was Lawrence not McGillvary just to be pedantic.

Being at the game yesterday and thankfully not having Sky Sports and the " benefit" of the "wisdom" of Stevo, Eddie etc I thought we had the rub of the green on forward passes.
It's the inconsistency that pi**es fans off especially within a game. I remember Sean Long throwing an outrageous forward pass for a try in the same corner as the Briscoe no try that was given.
Maybe refs see the Giants as a top team now a la Saints of yesteryear and give decisions accordingly. <_<

A very tough game yesterday, impressed by Houghton and Lynch always impresses when I see him.18-16 would have been a fairer reflection.

#72 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

I take your point, But It's getting too complicated for me especially with some of the linesman's inability to see anything in some games, Last night one from 50 yds away saw a forward, one from 5yds away didn't, I know It's all too simple but for me if the ball at the time it leaves the throwers hand , goes nearer the oppositions line than the thrower is, that for me is forward, no matter how far the passer has run. Yes I know too simple ,but everyone keeps saying what a simple game it is
Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#73 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,926 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:58 PM

I take your point, But It's getting too complicated for me especially with some of the linesman's inability to see anything in some games, Last night one from 50 yds away saw a forward, one from 5yds away didn't, I know It's all too simple but for me if the ball at the time it leaves the throwers hand , goes nearer the oppositions line than the thrower is, that for me is forward, no matter how far the passer has run. Yes I know too simple ,but everyone keeps saying what a simple game it is

What you are saying basically is players that are running at pace aren't allowed to pass the ball.
Posted Image

#74 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

Forward passes are of course frustrating but unfortunately you do not understand how often the ball actually travels forward in relation to the ground. It seems counter-intuitive but many of the most seemingly backward passes actually travel forward in relation to the ground. The game would be almost unplayable and certainly unreffable if we adhered to a rule that required the ball to not pass in front of the passer. Passes would have to be thrown from a stationary position.

For example, it seems ludicrous to think that a ball thrown directly behind your head can go forward. However, if you are running forward it does.

The current interpretation is by far the most sensible one.

#75 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

It's the same interpretation we've always had

#76 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:25 PM

They went on and on for a good five minutes showing replay after replay just to show Stevo that the Hudds defender hadn't knocked on!

Just to be clear, it was knocked-on, it was very clear on the replay and even Jon Wells at half time said it should have been a drop out.

#77 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,926 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

Just to be clear, it was knocked-on, it was very clear on the replay and even Jon Wells at half time said it should have been a drop out.

Just to be obvious...
Posted Image

#78 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

Forward passes are of course frustrating but unfortunately you do not understand how often the ball actually travels forward in relation to the ground. It seems counter-intuitive but many of the most seemingly backward passes actually travel forward in relation to the ground. The game would be almost unplayable and certainly unreffable if we adhered to a rule that required the ball to not pass in front of the passer. Passes would have to be thrown from a stationary position.

For example, it seems ludicrous to think that a ball thrown directly behind your head can go forward. However, if you are running forward it does.

The current interpretation is by far the most sensible one.

Fair enough i accept what you and Wellsy are saying, But it seems at times to be a hopeless situation, there are times when pages are written on forums arguing whether a pass was forward or not, and that's with the benefit of TV , so what chance the linesmen are just ignoring all but the most obvious and just thinking benefit of doubt.
Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#79 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,999 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

Fair enough i accept what you and Wellsy are saying, But it seems at times to be a hopeless situation, there are times when pages are written on forums arguing whether a pass was forward or not, and that's with the benefit of TV , so what chance the linesmen are just ignoring all but the most obvious and just thinking benefit of doubt.

My argument is that the touch judge involved, who apparently over ruled the ref to disallow Briscoe's try, was 50-60m away.

How often do we see an obvious forward pass right in front of a touch judge go unpunished?

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#80 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:00 PM

But this is a different point.

Can you imagine the uproar if referees started giving forward passes for passes that the whole crowd thought had gone backwards? Where players were throwing the ball over their heads and getting pulled up for a forward pass? It would be unworkable and create an even greater minefield.